Help - yeast starter from slurry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Griffin495

Reaction score
I'm going to be brewing an American Amber Ale on Monday. 2.75 gallon batch at 1.048. I'd like to use some unwashed yeast slurry that I have stored. I understand how to make a starter, but I can not figure out how much slurry to use even after hours of research.

I'd like to use some WLP001 that I used on a previous batch of amber but it was harvested on 7/29/18. I've got about 230ml (8oz) of it and it was used on 2 prior batches of beer. I can't figure out how much of it to pitch into a starter. Or what size starter for that matter.

In addition, I have these other slurries (but I'd like to use ^ one if possible):

WLP001 350mL (12oz) from a cream ale harvested 9/8/18 used 3 times prior
WLP001 710mL (24oz) from a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale clone 10/21/18 used 3 times prior
US-05 350mL (12oz) from a blonde ale 12/9/18 used 1 time prior (don't really want to use this one)

I looked at Mr. Malty and for all the WLP001, if I did a straight pitch, it would take 426ml of slurry, but I really don't think that is the best approach to take (nor do I have enough of the first two yeasts) and would rather go with a starter to get this batch going.

And before anybody mentions it, I don't have time to go to my local home brew store to get fresh yeast so that's out.

Any and all help would be appreciated as I just can't figure this out even after looking through this forum and other places online.

Oh...and Mr. Malty tells me I need 93 billion cells while BrewersFriend tells me I need 95 billion cells if that helps

Last edited:
Anybody? I am planning on doing my starter tonight and would love some help. On another forum, I saw mention of just adding a tablespoon of the slurry and that would be enough. Thoughts?

Update: Following some advice on another thread, I ended up making a starter. I made a 1 L starter of 1.040 wort and pitched in 4oz of WLP001 that I harvested on 7/29/18 on Thursday night and just intermittently shook it up. It took a while to get started, but did take off. On Sunday night I put it in the fridge. Monday was brew day, so I pulled it out and decanted it and pitched about 1/2 cup of slurry into 2.75 gallons of Amber Ale at 1.046. I checked on it later that night and less than 8 hours later it was bubbling away through the blow off tube into a mason jar of sanitizer. I've never had one take off that fast. This morning it had a nice healthy head of krausen. So it looks like it worked, only time will tell.

Back