Make IPA Clear Again

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They all look and taste like fruit juice to me. Y'all can have them.

I wish they'd all consistently use the buzz words I've learned to avoid. "Juicy", "Tropical" and sadly "Double Dry Hopped" are good indicators for "no-buy". But when they dont list these things and just say "IPA" then I'm likely to fall for it and be dissapointed. Every once in a while I actually get a non-hazy jewel labeled IPA.

Frankly I wish breweries would not associate double dry hopping with the glasses of orange juice that pours out of these things. They may double dry hop their fruit juice but double dry hopping a beer does not produce OJ.

Gotta say I'm really enjoying the whiny cry baby traditionalists, "why is my IPA hazy" Waaaa.

I have to admit it's gotten a little wacky, and I'm usually in the head car of the haze train. I was at my local bottle shop the other day in the mood for a west coast IPA and I was searching the shelves with all the new stuff, and it was like 80% hazy IPAs. šŸ˜† I did finally find a WCIPA to take home

I have to admit it's gotten a little wacky, and I'm usually in the head car of the haze train. I was at my local bottle shop the other day in the mood for a west coast IPA and I was searching the shelves with all the new stuff, and it was like 80% hazy IPAs. šŸ˜† I did finally find a WCIPA to take home
They are all mostly in cans now, all with ridiculous names and equally ridiculous labels. Like I said, all I ask is they properly label the beer so people know what it is they are spending their money for and wonā€™t be disappointed when they get it home. ā€œIPAā€ means 27 different things now. Put the word ā€œhazyā€ or ā€œNEIPAā€ somewhere on the real estate of the label. I really donā€™t think thatā€™s much to ask.

They are all mostly in cans now, all with ridiculous names and equally ridiculous labels. Like I said, all I ask is they properly label the beer so people know what it is they are spending their money for and wonā€™t be disappointed when they get it home.

SICKLY SWEET/ THROAT BURNING "juicy" IPA, made with "rotten fruit and dying flowers" anyone?

I LOVE a good WCIPA and they are my go-to beer.. ..but I have made some pilgrimages from the west coast of Canada to Vermont and had some AMAZING NEIPAs. Not all hazies are created equal.. ...many are truly outstanding.... ..

There are bad versions of every style. If you haven't a had a good hazy ipa, you've been tasting the wrong ones #hazeboi

Absolutely there are. We're all adults, we shouldn't be tricked into buying things we don't want. It's a minefield. Maybe they should lose the established "IPA" style label and call it oj n crud? Then we know what we're getting? OJC.

I LOVE a good WCIPA and they are my go-to beer.. ..but I have made some pilgrimages from the west coast of Canada to Vermont and had some AMAZING NEIPAs. Not all hazies are created equal.. ...many are truly outstanding.... ..
As a wcipa guy, I am coming around to hazy IPAs for the single fact that they are less juicy than they used to be.
I love VT IPAs. I'm in CT and they hazy boys are getting less cloying and fruity. There's bitterness coming back. It's like people realized they're making beer for all the beer drinkers. Not just the 22-year-olds and their girlfriends.

Not to sound like an ass. But I remember when women hated IPAs and now...
You could tell when a kid was too young to be drinking at the bar because they'd order a Bud Light or Corona. At least they're making them better.

As a wcipa guy, I am coming around to hazy IPAs for the single fact that they are less juicy than they used to be.
I love VT IPAs. I'm in CT and they hazy boys are getting less cloying and fruity. There's bitterness coming back. It's like people realized they're making beer for all the beer drinkers. Not just the 22-year-olds and their girlfriends.

Not to sound like an ass. But I remember when women hated IPAs and now...
You could tell when a kid was too young to be drinking at the bar because they'd order a Bud Light or Corona. At least they're making them better.

Yeah, I find many hazy IPAs too sweet in their pursuit of juiciness. The ones we had at the Alchemist, Hill Farmstead, and Lawson's set a bar to strive for.

Absolutely there are. We're all adults, we shouldn't be tricked into buying things we don't want. It's a minefield. Maybe they should lose the established "IPA" style label and call it oj n crud? Then we know what we're getting? OJC.
Or a good beer. Evolution. Re-invention. Progression. The style has created empires at this point. It may not be traditional, but it's a fantastic beer, and it's here to stay.

I canā€™t believe this post was nearly three years and 42 pages ago. Wow. Anyway, I think itā€™s still relevant:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/make-ipa-clear-again.663927/post-8552287
And for those of you clamoring for the beer to be labeled as hazy or NEIPA, or whatever, so you donā€™t end up with a crud filled cup of ojā€¦ Do you not have a phone? The Internet? Untapped or beer advocate? I can find out whatā€™s in a can or bottle of beer in about 10 seconds. Itā€™s really not that hard.

Yeah, I find many hazy IPAs too sweet in their pursuit of juiciness. The ones we had at the Alchemist, Hill Farmstead, and Lawson's set a bar to strive for.
Sip of Sunshine is a classic here.
Heady Topper was a game changer and considered the OG hazy.
I actually really prefer the sweeteners and aromatics that are picked up by dry hopping rather than using a sweeter malt bill.

The more traditional US or East coast IPAs with more of a malty presence almost taste acrid to me. While I don't love a juice bomb, I cannot stand a super malty IPA.

If you're ever in the New England area again. I ask you check these out. They're incredible;
Burlington Beer Co. - Skyhook (VT)
Burlington Beer Co. - Stainless Forest (VT)
Back East Brewing - Palate Mallet (CT)
Thimble Island Brewing - Clam Island (CT)
Foley Brothers Brewing - Big Bang (VT)
14th Star Brewing - Tribute (VT)
Bay State Brewing - Becky Likes the Smell (MA)
Foolproof Brewing - The Grotto (RI)
Fox Farm Brewery - Pora (CT)
Aspetuck Brew Lab - Theory (CT)
New England Brewing Co. (NEBCo) - Sea Hag (CT)
NEBCo - Baby Bot (CT)

Iā€™m pretty shocked that popularity of hazy IPAs has lasted this long. Itā€™s really not a super complex beer and is mostly one dimensional- fruity hops. Iā€™ve had most of the OGā€™s and live in New England (a few towns away from treeHouse) but havenā€™t bought one in a long time.

I enjoyed the style when it first hit - alchemist, treehouse, Lawsons, foam, frost, trillium, etc - those guys rocked this style, but these days would much rather have a SN Pale Ale.

Last edited:
Iā€™m pretty shocked that popularity of hazy IPAs has lasted this long. Itā€™s really not a super complex beer and is mostly one dimensional- fruity hops. Iā€™ve had most of the OGā€™s and live in New England (a few towns away from treeHouse) but havenā€™t bought one in a long time.

I enjoyed the style when it first hit - alchemist, treehouse, Lawsons, foam, frost, trillium, etc - those guys rocked this style, but these days would much rather have a SN Pale Ale.
Lol, same. I initially enjoyed the style, but it.got old pretty quickly for me.
I actually had a good NEIPA recently- viking mosh pit from KCBC in NYC.
My wife bought them accidentally and they were canned a month ago.
So many of the "juice bombs" are just SO boring to me. I'm kinda over novelty beers in general now personally. (Pastry stouts, super fruit sours, lactose laden beers, etc)

I have only had a hand full of hazies that I really enjoyed, but overall I'm not a big fan of them. I have brewed a couple, but mostly for other people and once as a challenge because I was told that they couldn't be bottle conditioned without having an oxidized mess in a couple of months (I won that challenge).

It could be that I just don't go out in search of a bunch of new ones to try. Regardless, I think that so many people getting bent out of shape about the fact that they even exist is pretty entertaining. Styles evolve. If they didn't, we'd be sitting around drinking the same old boring brews all of the time.

Hate it when labels are misleadingā€¦
3701C999-10BC-40FC-93CF-F1C2B380176E.jpeg

I never got the whole "hazy" trend.

For me the line was don't be afraid if the beer is a bit hazy because it is unfiltered and some yeast residue may get agitated from the bottom of the bottle when it's poured.
Or some beers because of ingredients used may not clear as well, but it doesn't make it bad.

So I always just accept the hazy in some beers as ok, I never saw any reason to pursue that as a desired criteria.
Is it supposed to taste better???? What am I missing?

For me the line was don't be afraid if the beer is a bit hazy because it is unfiltered and some yeast residue may get agitated from the bottom of the bottle when it's poured.
Or some beers because of ingredients used may not clear as well, but it doesn't make it bad.

So I always just accept the hazy in some beers as ok, I never saw any reason to pursue that as a desired criteria.
The word they use is ā€œjuicyā€. Itā€™s like people want to say they drink IPA but they donā€™t like hops. When they brew the beer they donā€™t use any boil hops at all and either put a massive amount of hops in at flameout in one charge or they wait until the beer has cooled some and just whirlpool all the hops at 170 degrees for an hour or something.

If you want juice, they sell Juicy Juice in a little box with a straw you can poke through a hole.

Some of the best murky IPAs in the world are made with highly flocculent yeast. Much of the Murk comes from the Hop oils from massive DryHop quantities. And most people who know what theyā€™re doing are not intentionally trying to make it hazy or murky. Itā€™s just the way it turns out when you DryHop it that much. You donā€™t need wheat or oats, but they do contribute if thatā€™s what youā€™re looking for.

Lots of misinformed old-school geezers in this thread apparently.

Some of the best murky IPAs in the world are made with highly flocculent yeast. Much of the Murk comes from the Hop oils from massive DryHop quantities. And most people who know what theyā€™re doing are not intentionally trying to make it hazy or murky. Itā€™s just the way it turns out when you DryHop it that much. You donā€™t need wheat or oats, but they do contribute if thatā€™s what youā€™re looking for.

Hey! I'm becoming an old-geezer :)
That's a nice explanation. I just didn't see the need to pursue hazy, but if a good tasting beer has a nice aroma and it turns out hazy so be it. I guess some pursue the haze as a goal as opposed to it just being a side effect of the process.

Find me a sludge NEIPA that doesn't have any wheat or oats
I'll wait.

That's murky. Not hazy.

Maybe I've been a hermit too long and need to get out more!

edit...

Oh, I missed your prior post. You even said it was murky. So at least we agree!.

Good brilliance to it and color. How does it taste?

That's murky. Not hazy.

Maybe I've been a hermit too long and need to get out more!
Yes, it is murky. Which is my point. He said find me a sludge NEIPA without wheat or oats. This one has nothing but Pilsner malt. Again, a lot of misinformed geezers in here. Almost all of treehouseā€™s core beers (Julius, green, haze, etc..) are brewed with only 2-row and a little carafoam. Julius may have something for color but no oats or wheat. No oats or wheat required. Can you believe it? Heavy dry hopping can give you plenty of murk. Breweries are dry hopping at crazy rates these days, 6,8,10 pounds per barrel is not uncommon. That translates roughly to 16, 20, 24 ounces per 5 gallon batch.

I was actually toying with ordering some pilsner malt today. Are they using bottom fermenting pilsner or lager yeast or doing this with top fermenting ale yeasts?

I think it's like taking drugs; you need a bigger and bigger fix to get the same effect (DIPA and then forward to pounds of hops).
Signed,
Least qualified person to answer that question
(haven't had any kind of IPA in years)

There are the NOT IPA fans or so they thought. Been working on my wife for over 17 years but West Coast was always gym socks or car freshener Christmas trees to her. But years ago when she had the smooth mouth feel and tropical flavors of a juicy IPA she decided she liked " this style of IPA". Then she went all in on sours but I've still been chipping away with all Centennial hopped beers that she actually likes so maybe another decade and I can finally get her on board with a hard core West Coast beer.:mug:

How old is that beer? Looks way out of date - not oxidized, just dropped bright after sitting around for a long time.
Not sure how old it was. I got it in a local grocery store that has pretty fast turn over. I even shook it a little before opening. I think it was clear when it was canned. Out of character for Stone. It was pretty much like a west coast IPA.

Back