Make IPA Clear Again

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Literally living on an island & not brewing for the last 3.5 years, I’ve missed the whole NEIPA thing.

My two questions are:
1) It sounds like intentionally chill-hazing a beer and/or serving it mit Hefe. Am I wrong?
2) What are good examples I can get in Washington?

Holy Mountain
Reuben’s Brews
Fort George (3 way in particular)

Haze is not from yeast. If done right it should be predominately hops. Sometimes it’s a rather big if...

Cuz oxidized buttloads of citra used only late tasting like onions and BO is waaaaay better. Along with no bitterness to balance anything out. Huzzah!
If your Citra brews are coming out tasting like onions and bo I suggest you find a new supplier. Yakima Citra is nothing like that. They taste like citrus. Cheers

Nope, plenty of commercial examples though.
That would be irritating. All the commercial Citra beers around here taste like Citrus as expected. Of course 95% of what's on taps here these days are the every so popular neipa styles. Fortunately the commercial examples of those are also very good. I don't think I've ever had a oxidized one or even one that wasnt good. Theres to much competition in my area so they can't brew crappy stuff and stay alive. Cheers

Yeah it's irritating. Even stuff from good breweries like Equilibrium, Monkish, Toppling Goliath. Plenty from less known breweries, too.

Sorry guys, lots of terrible "NEIPA's" out there. I'll admit some do smell and taste good but the lack of clarity and OJ appearance simply isn't appealing.

Ditch the "IPA" reference and Make IPA Clear Again!

#MIPACA

So if a beer smelled and tasted worse but was clear you’d like it more?

Cause the same beer would smell and taste worse if it was clear...

Cause the same beer would smell and taste worse if it was clear...

It's pretty clear (haha) that the people in this thread hating on NEIPA don't understand a thing about them. This thread is one of the dumbest on this site.

No, not saying that at all. Just saying that its not appealing to be served what looks like a glass of yeast and the only thing these beers have that aligns with "IPA" is hops. So guess we should just call all beers with any hop character "IPA"?

Dont worry, this fad will fade. Glitter beer will see an uptick!... Especially if it can get labeled "Glitter IPA".

#MIPACA

No, not saying that at all. Just saying that its not appealing to be served what looks like a glass of yeast and the only thing these beers have that aligns with "IPA" is hops. So guess we should just call all beers with any hop character "IPA"?

Dont worry, this fad will fade. Glitter beer will see an uptick!... Especially if it can get labeled "Glitter IPA".

#MIPACA

Of course it will fade eventually. Look at clear IPAs for proof of that. Cheers

this has been the dumbest thread on HBT for some time now...

I'm sure there are some dumb threads out there... But really? Guess I'm dumb for voicing an opinion on something like this. I knew I would take a bashing when I posted it. My opinion is unchanged even if some think it's dumb.

The only thing dumb about this thread is that there are some people who believe that their favorite beer style is “the most popular”.

Despite the growth in popularity of craft beer, the overwhelming majority of American beer drinkers still favor colorless, odorless, tasteless, fizzy yellow light lagers. Period.

The only thing dumb about this thread is that there are some people who believe that their favorite beer style is “the most popular”.

Despite the growth in popularity of craft beer, the overwhelming majority of American beer drinkers still favor colorless, odorless, tasteless, fizzy yellow light lagers. Period.

Agree, however I found this Molson Coors 5 year graph interesting and I’m thinking the tied is slowly changing.
IMG_1619.JPG

Great point. honestly for some reason i didnt even think to include bmc macro lagers in a disgussion about craft ipas. i hear vodkas also pretty popular these days. Make IPAs colorless, odorless, tasteless, fizzy yellow light lagers again? Cheers

Last edited:
I like NEIPA also but, here’s my supposed to be clear IPA. Centennial, Cascade, Columbus and Chinook with Hot Head. Only been kegged three days!
IMG_3486.JPG

Anybody read this one yet? Sounds like it's a great read if your into brewing the new style ipas. Cheers
Screenshot_20190719-185745_Photos.jpeg

Anybody read this one yet? Sounds like it's a great read if your into brewing the new style ipas. Cheers

The subtitle ("Scientific Guide to Hop Aroma and Flavor") is appropriate. I found information about hops that could be used when brewing other styles.

The book has an emphasis on hops, but it also brings in related topics. Chapter 4 ("Mouthfeel") has a section titled "Malt's Impact on Minerals". Chapter 5 ("Flavor Perceptions") has a sections titled "Role of Base Malt" and "Yeast Pitch Rate". Many references (and summaries) to scientific research throughout the book.

It's a book that one may want to skim first (each chapter has a "Key Findings" section), then read, then read really carefully. For me, there was a lot of new vocabulary to digest. But even with the initial skim read, I found useful ideas and information.

Last edited:
For those more interested in making Clear IPA than OJ, here is some info and you don't have to buy a book:

Beer Clarity - What to Do About Hazy Beer
https://www.winning-homebrew.com/beer-clarity.html

Improving Beer Clarity and Finings : In Depth – Part 1
http://beersmith.com/blog/2014/08/21/improving-beer-clarity-and-finings-in-depth-part-1/

Beer Clarification: How to Brew Crystal Clear Beer
https://learn.kegerator.com/brewing-clear-beer/

Brew Strong: Beer Clarity
http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/brew-strong-beer-clarity/

Interesting looking read, but with a publishing date of 2016 the info is at least three years old.

Are you referring to "The New IPA"? It was published in May 2019.

Did you find the book to be up-to-date with all the new trends?

I don't follow NE-IPAs or Brut IPAs that closely. Which trends are you interested in?

Anybody read this one yet? Sounds like it's a great read if your into brewing the new style ipas. CheersView attachment 636386

This seems to be a great book. I am only 1/3 through it. I tend to read a few pages at a time and almost always walk away with some new info that I want to apply to my beers. While some of the info is slanted towards brewing hop-forward hazy beers, much of the info can be used to make classic IPAs or hop-forward clear IPAs...or just a better understanding of using hops in any beer.

hop-forward clear IPAs

Now your talk'n! Love some hop forward IPA that doesn't look like OJ or a glass full of yeast!

upload_2019-7-20_13-52-22.png

upload_2019-7-20_13-53-15.png

upload_2019-7-20_13-55-42.png
upload_2019-7-20_13-56-55.png
upload_2019-7-20_13-57-35.png

A couple of mine....
upload_2019-7-20_13-58-20.png
upload_2019-7-20_14-0-51.png

Not crystal clear but then its an IIIPA thats been barrel aged!

upload_2019-7-20_14-2-27.png

upload_2019-7-20_14-3-8.png

Okay, again not crystal clear but still doesnt look like yeast or OJ. Brett and IPA are a great mix!

upload_2019-7-20_14-4-27.png

An

My issue is not that this beer is hazy (on the edge of murky) or tastes terrible (it is actually a good beer) but it just seems like when you buy a pack of beers described by the bartender as an "American Pale Ale" (she might have said IPA) that it might just fit that style guideline. It is a brewery that seems to be known for NEIPA beers and if I had a chance to look at the label I would have seen the "Oat - Wheat - Rye" listed. I purchased the pack because I was curious how this brewery was at making a classic example...and that is not what I got.

20190720_153018.jpg

My issue is not that this beer is hazy (on the edge of murky) or tastes terrible (it is actually a good beer) but it just seems like when you buy a pack of beers described by the bartender as an "American Pale Ale" (she might have said IPA) that it might just fit that style guideline. It is a brewery that seems to be known for NEIPA beers and if I had a chance to look at the label I would have seen the "Oat - Wheat - Rye" listed. I purchased the pack because I was curious how this brewery was at making a classic example...and that is not what I got.

View attachment 636469
At this point if it doesn't specifically say west coast ipa on the can or bottle I think it's pretty safe to assume it won't be. Officially splitting American IPAs into the old and new category might be a decent idea after all. Cheers

Back