Make IPA Clear Again

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More does not always equal better.
"More flavor" had me laughing irl btw. How many flavor units does a neipa have? Lolololol
Similar to cooking i prefer fewer ingredients and finding the right way prepare them so they shine as opposed to a kitchen sink approach.

Exactly.

A beer should have exactly as much flavor and ingredients as it needs, and no more.

A pilsner will have "less" flavor and ingredients than a barrel-aged imperial stout, but that doesn't mean a barrel-aged imperial stout is a superior beer.

Exactly.

A beer should have exactly as much flavor and ingredients as it needs, and no more.

A pilsner will have "less" flavor and ingredients than a barrel-aged imperial stout, but that doesn't mean a barrel-aged imperial stout is a superior beer.
Budweiser vs barrel aged ten fidy, got it, no superiority.

Your obvious point noted by all surely. Bud light is in fact made perfectly every time no doubt. I wonder why a barrell aged beer could cost between 10 and 20 times a pilsner?

Not that mood and preference wouldnt lead me to a pilsner, but I see barrel aged beer regardless of mood and preference to be superior as I see the tissot to casio, and titleist irons to generic, Milwaukee tools to harbor freight, and on and on. My golf ball says pro v1x on it for a reason. Perhaps you know that I am a speaker fan too. Was it you that made the argument that the top rated 50 dollar amazon speakers were same as my beloved b and w's?

I learned here on hbt, that I want to be a connoisseur, not a snob. I care what Im drinking, and I dont want to care what you're drinking. But, hell yeah, there are differences in quality in this world. Some people work harder, put more into it, spend more time, spend more money and I can recognize that. Call it heart, call it passion, dedication, pride, perfectionism some people put more in and I am cool with calling that effort superior in many circumstances. A treehouse ipa is superior in every way to the average clear ipa spoke about in this thread imo.

Last edited:
golf balls and tools are designed to do the same thing.
beers are not.
are you just trolling?
He's trolling. Beer taste is subjective, have we not come to that conclusion yet? Not everyone likes Barrel aged Ted Fidy. Not everyone likes Budweiser. No superiority, get it.

I deleted my point about this pizza. Simply put, it looks like quality vs box of jiff crust and kroger mozzarella.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191030-122146.jpeg
    Screenshot_20191030-122146.jpeg
    38.6 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Lol maybe it would be better with 8 toppings and a 3" thick crust cuz, ya know, more is better, lololol
Does this forum have an annual "award show" for funniest posts?

Jesus Christ, you really know nothing.
Google Frank Pepe pizzeria in New Haven, CT.

Qhrumphf, it's definitely Dunning Kruger, this guy is amazing!
Your neighborhood pizza sucks! [emoji16]

Only Chicago knows how to do pizza.

BTW - We don't fold our pizza like you schmucks out east. We know how to fugging cut a thin crust pizza.

None need to be folded, #2 almost deserves a fork. It's ok if you're good with sauce on your beard and gobs of cheese on your chin. #3. Still sloppy eating but absolutely no fork and can't be folded if cooked properly.

In order as follows;
1) Crust
2) Stuffed
3) Deep Dish

That said, I'll eat any of this with a growler of DFH 60 minute IPA.
Chicago_thin_crust_pizza.jpeg
Chicago-style-pizza-01.jpeg
Pizzeria_Uno_Chicago-style_deep-dish_pizza.jpeg
s-l400-1.jpeg

BTW - We don't fold our pizza like you schmucks out east. We know how to fugging cut a thin crust pizza.

None need to be folded, #2 almost deserves a fork. It's ok if you're good with sauce on your beard and gobs of cheese on your chin. #3. Still sloppy eating but absolutely no fork and can't be folded if cooked properly.

In order as follows;
1) Crust
2) Stuffed
3) Deep Dish

That said, I'll eat any of this with a growler of DFH 60 minute IPA.View attachment 650548View attachment 650549View attachment 650550View attachment 650553
Not my neighborhood, lol, I traveled to have this pizza. It's famous nationwide.
I've also been to Chicago and had that stuff... Not impressed. To each their own I suppose

Not my neighborhood, lol, I traveled to have this pizza. It's famous nationwide.
I've also been to Chicago and had that stuff... Not impressed. To each their own I suppose
Famous nationwide...? Never head of it...

Pizza preference is really a local thing in Chicago. It's almost a neighborhood rivalry who's is better. Grew up in Chicago and frequented the same place for the better portion of 18 years.

To each there own is true. My wife and I argue everytime where to get pizza.

Famous nationwide...? Never head of it...

Pizza preference is really a local thing in Chicago. It's almost a neighborhood rivalry who's is better. Grew up in Chicago and frequented the same place for the better portion of 18 years.

To each there own is true. My wife and I argue everytime where to get pizza.
If you were a pizza person you would be aware of places outside of your neighborhood,

I mean, unless you think your neighborhood IS the world, lol
Nope.... I ate pizza in Trieste and in Rome. Not impressed either place.

I like to make my own pizza and sauce....

Usually with a 1/3 whole wheat flour and 2/3 unbleached flour, with olive oil, water, salt and quick acting yeast.

Then a sauce with tomato paste, tomato sauce, garlic, paprika and salt. Forgot oregano...

Top however....

I cook thin crust at 575F for exactly 7 minutes to the second. Then baste the crust with olive oil while it's piping hot. This is to make the crust really crisp.

Like beer, I Iike to make it myself.

Last edited:
Nope.... I ate pizza in Trieste and in Rome. Not impressed either place.

I like to make my own pizza and sauce....

Usually with a 1/3 whole wheat flour and 2/3 unbleached flour, with olive oil, water, salt and quick acting yeast.

Then a sauce with tomato paste, tomato sauce, garlic, paprika and salt. Forgot oregano...

Top however....

I cook thin crust at 575F for exactly 7 minutes to the second. Then baste the crust with olive oil while it's piping hot. This is to make the crust really crisp.

Like beer, I Iike to make it myself.
Same, check my IG.
575 means you're only ****ing with Chicago or NY style pizza?
I seriously can't with the trolls on here

Same, check my IG.
575 means you're only ****ing with Chicago or NY style pizza?
I seriously can't with the trolls on here
Not trolling... I was just joking about your initial pizza comment. This is just an IPA Off Topic Tangent.

And no, that's what I prefer to make for times sake The others are a bigger commitment after a long days work. I only make pizza at my work residence since I'm 3 hours south of Chicago.

I don't always want deep dish, and my wife doesn't always want to fork out the extra cash for stuffed. She's diabetic so that's a sometimes food for her and consequently me when we're together.

I'm not a really a pizza snob. But I've had really bad pizza in Laffeyette Indiana.... They ground the pepperoni into tiny balls and over salted something. Totally unedible.

I've only had Domino's once. Ate Chucky Cheeses once too. Both were really awful.

This is the homemade pizza thread. There are photos of pizza AND recipes. Why are we mentioning clear IPAs? Sheesh.

How about some good pizza and CLEAR IPA! The IPA does need to be clear though. Cause, that's how an IPA should be after-all...

Much to my dismay, this thread seems to have jumped the shark!
At least I mentioned having a growler full of DFH 60 minute IPA!!!!!
This is the homemade pizza thread. There are photos of pizza AND recipes. Why are we mentioning clear IPAs? Sheesh.
I intentionally changed the subject since it was starting to get unnecessarily personal. Not sure why people feel the need to do so when this is supposed to be a fun thing or a light hearted discussion of the style.

I'm glad I can enjoy clear, hazy and murky IPA's. I've had fantastic examples of all three, and horrible examples of all three.

So much great beer out there...wonderful flavors, aromas, textures...all there for the experience. Having lived through the 70's and 80's, when craft beer was almost non-existent and imports were hard to find, I feel extremely fortunate to live in a time when I can walk into the grocery store and have 350 different beers to choose from. Or drive 10 mins from my house to a bar with 80 different beers on tap, many locally brewed and tasty AF.

You all can debate 'till the cows come home. I'm gonna crack a beer, relax and watch some football.

Lets just MAKE IPA CLEAR AGAIN! :hops::mug:

Or we could keep em hazy

All I ask is that we acknowledge that clear IPA and hazy IPA are two distinct styles and label them accordingly.

IPA has become so popular that everything with more hops than average wants to call itself IPA, so IPA has become a collection of related styles, not a single style. But one needs to be the "default".

If I walk into a bar and it says merely says "IPA" on the menu, that should be an American IPA, not a hazy.

If it's a black IPA, it should be labeled black IPA. If it's a double IPA, it should be labeled a double IPA. If it's a session IPA, it should be labeled a session IPA. Heck, if it's truly fits the bill of a West Coast IPA, label it that way too. It doesn't hurt anyone. And if it's a hazy IPA, it should be labeled a hazy or NE IPA.

The default style is American IPA. And American IPA is pale and clear, or at least clear-ish. Any deviation from that should be clearly denoted on a beer menu.

*** Note: I realize that American IPA is not the "default" everywhere. The English created the IPA style. However, I live in America, and due to the overwhelming popularity of American IPA here, IMHO it's appropriate that "IPA" on a menu here should denote American IPA, and that if a bar is serving an English IPA, they should call that out on the menu. If I were in a pub in England, of course, I would expect seeing "IPA" on a menu would denote an English IPA, and I would be surprised if given an American-style IPA without a menu denoting that it's an American IPA instead of English.

In order as follows;
1) Crust
2) Stuffed
3) Deep Dish

That said, I'll eat any of this with a growler of DFH 60 minute IPA.View attachment 650548View attachment 650549View attachment 650550View attachment 650553

I grew up in the Chicago 'burbs. I didn't realize how much I'd missed Chicago thin crust pizza until I was back in Chicago last month on vacation. Everyone knows about our deep dish, but very few people realize we have our own unique thin crust pizza. It was heavenly!

But that's my point. If I go to a pizza place and order a pizza, and they bring out deep dish without telling me on the menu that I'm ordering deep dish? I'm going to be a little miffed. Just like if I order an IPA and they bring me a hazy IPA without telling me, I'm a little miffed.

I grew up in the Chicago 'burbs. I didn't realize how much I'd missed Chicago thin crust pizza until I was back in Chicago last month on vacation. Everyone knows about our deep dish, but very few people realize we have our own unique thin crust pizza. It was heavenly!

But that's my point. If I go to a pizza place and order a pizza, and they bring out deep dish without telling me on the menu that I'm ordering deep dish? I'm going to be a little miffed. Just like if I order an IPA and they bring me a hazy IPA without telling me, I'm a little miffed.
I argued with a manager at LaBarra in Riverside about stuffed vs deep dish. They made the stuffed pizza twice for me both times they made it a deep dish. WTF - they are not the same thing

I'm like fugg it.... I don't want it I want a refund. The manager decided to give it to me free... I told her I don't want a free pizza just a stuffed meatball pie. I accepted it as is, but it's not the same... That's what they didn't get.

I argued with a manager at LaBarra in Riverside about stuffed vs deep dish. They made the stuffed pizza twice for me both times they made it a deep dish. WTF - they are not the same thing

I'm like fugg it.... I don't want it I want a refund. The manager decided to give it to me free... I told her I don't want a free pizza just a stuffed meatball pie. I accepted it as is, but it's not the same... That's what they didn't get.
There are two acceptable pizza styles. New York style and Napoletana.

The rest can f*** right off.

The only thing worse than any of the Chicago pizzas is that sweet St Louis trash.

The New Haven pizza is an acceptable-in-a-pinch sub.

I said what we're all thinking. Fight me.

See? Now I'm the troll.

I can appreciate a wide variety of pizza styles (though NY and Neapolitan are my favs).

Mainly just wanted to add to the animosity.

But seriously St. Louis pizza is f*** rubbish.

I hate that you fuggers have to fold a thing of beauty just to jam it in your face cause you don't know how to cut a pie - LoL

There are two acceptable pizza styles. New York style and Napoletana.

The rest can f*** right off.

The only thing worse than any of the Chicago pizzas is that sweet St Louis trash.

The New Haven pizza is an acceptable-in-a-pinch sub.

I said what we're all thinking. Fight me.

I'm with you on the St Louis Cardboard Pizza...

New Haven?

What kind of Goomba Mario you?

Your local soft water makes for shíītay crust...

If your crust sucks, your pizza sucks mofo....

You fuggers don't sauce your pizza enough too...

Then your sausage is crap. You got fennel in it...

Chicago is King when it's comes to sausage on pizza. We don't make sweet for the poosay.

Chicago is number one locale for sausage pizza. Everywhere else it's pepperoni.

I would wager that without Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (side note, I'm curious who else grew up with Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles besides me, I blame Maggie, rot in hell), pepperoni pizza wouldn't have the cultural significance that it does.

Back