LALBREW® VOSS KVEIK ALE YEAST

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys, I used this yeast for the first time on Friday. I brewed an IPA and cooled my wort down to 114ish , pitched and then let ride and cool down naturally and it's sitting at about 80 F right now with a heating belt to maintain it there.

What should I expect from this yeast pitching that hot?

I just kegged a Citrus-heavy Voss Pale Ale today. The initial taste seems to be right on target. Lots of citrus flavor, with a touch of grain character. Grain bill was 80% Pale, 10% Flaked Oats, 10% Munich 15L (well ran out of 15L so there is a few oz of Munich 6L in there).

Hops are mostly Citra and Cascade. This was my first batch trying out a "no oxygen" dry hopping approach using magnets to hold the bag in place. I fermented at 85F to 90F for 3 days (it was pretty much done at 1.5 days), cooled to room temp and lowered in the dry hops for then 2 days, cold crashed for 2 days. The hope is to have this on on tap on Thursday for a campout. I have used Omega Voss a few times, so this was my first time with the Lalbrew version.

IMG_3418.JPG

I brewed an IPA and cooled my wort down to 114ish , pitched and then let ride

114 is out of the recommended range (77-104). I am not sure what that will do. it might cause more of the orange flavored Ester production.

I have pitched at 95 in the past and let it ride. I did not notice any orange flavor. However I was using cascade and centenial so perhaps that masked the yeasts contribution to the flavor. I was very happy with how it came out.

Every time I have used voss I have gotten a very active fermentation. I start seeing activity in the airlock with a few hours.

Hey guys, I used this yeast for the first time on Friday. I brewed an IPA and cooled my wort down to 114ish , pitched and then let ride and cool down naturally and it's sitting at about 80 F right now with a heating belt to maintain it there.

What should I expect from this yeast pitching that hot?
Was it 114 coming out of the boiler / chiller or that was the temp in the fermenter?
I expect you won't have harmed it too much, might be more estery but tricky to say. Will be fine if under pressure from an expression point of view.
Keep us posted.

I have done traditional 3:2:1 Citra:Mosaic:Galaxy hoppy pale with WY1318 and with Lallemand Voss, half rec pitch rate, 95F ferment. The orange addition from the Voss is outstanding.

Well, I finally got around to using the other half of my voss packet today. I pitched half of a packet into a pale ale last August and stored the remainder in the fridge until today. Fermenting a bit lower than I did last time (85 vs 95) in hopes of it being slightly cleaner this time around. Pitched at about 6pm tonight, was showing fermentation clues by 8 and starting to really take off at about 9pm tonight. So the time in the fridge opened didnt seem to hurt any type of sluggishness. I generally try to use up an open packet within a month, but I guess time gets away sometimes.
My first brew was waaaaay too orangey, but I also used hops that might have amplified that. I tried to steer clear of those this time around and just hoping for a nice, clean blonde ale.

Well, I finally got around to using the other half of my voss packet today. I pitched half of a packet into a pale ale last August and stored the remainder in the fridge until today. Fermenting a bit lower than I did last time (85 vs 95) in hopes of it being slightly cleaner this time around. Pitched at about 6pm tonight, was showing fermentation clues by 8 and starting to really take off at about 9pm tonight. So the time in the fridge opened didnt seem to hurt any type of sluggishness. I generally try to use up an open packet within a month, but I guess time gets away sometimes.
My first brew was waaaaay too orangey, but I also used hops that might have amplified that. I tried to steer clear of those this time around and just hoping for a nice, clean blonde ale.

I add a whole packet of Voss or M12 to 4-5ga and have minimal orange. It is still there, but I mostly brew stouts and the orange works well in them.

Also, I pitch at 104 and hold at 90.

I add a whole packet of Voss or M12 to 4-5ga and have minimal orange. It is still there, but I mostly brew stouts and the orange works well in them.

Also, I pitch at 104 and hold at 90.
Good to know. I use about half a packet in each batch (4g ~1.048). First one was overwhelming, but I’m fermenting this ten degrees cooler and pitched quite a bit cooler as well. This one seems to be clearing much better than last years batch as well, so here’s to hoping .

Good to know. I use about half a packet in each batch (4g ~1.048). First one was overwhelming, but I’m fermenting this ten degrees cooler and pitched quite a bit cooler as well. This one seems to be clearing much better than last years batch as well, so here’s to hoping .

Lmk how it turns out. Interested in a half packet at lower temps for a pale. The closest thing I've done to a pale was HEAVILY smoked so it might have hid some flaws. Gonna make a pale soon so I'd like to know how you make out.

Tried this yeast for the first time on Sunday. Pitched full packet at 100 degrees at 11:30AM. 1.070 OG. I had bubbling in the airlock by 2PM and krausen by 6PM. Crazy to actually witness. I'm not going to check gravity again until Friday.

@JoeSpartaNJ it will be done by then. I have made several batches @1.080, 90*F and only 5.5g of this yeast and they have been done in 4 days. I then turn off the heat and let it slowly cool to room temp for a couple of days. YMMV.
Cheers, :mug:
Joel B.

I'm not in a rush. Just wanted to try the yeast as it is fermenting in a warm area. I still need to dry hop. Just pitched and was letting it ride. Currently at 80 degrees.

This is becoming a favorite of mine. I make fairly heavy kegged ales, around 1.070, room temp fermenting, in New Orleans. Very active yeast, almost scary. Yesterday I rehydrated instead of dry pitching, set the lid and stopper and airlock, and I turned away for a minute to start getting some stuff ready for sanitizing. Then I heard the first bloop and I swear it wasn't 5 minutes after pitching. This was late last night, at the new house. I left a half hour later and it was blooping slowly but regular. As soon as I finish my cappuccino and shower, I am going over to check on it. Room temp is 74, fermenter is probably a couple degrees higher. The pitch was at around 95 or 100f, my thermometer not reliable but it was a bit cooler than coffee drinking temp and warmer than baby bottle warm.

The only thing I have used that was more vigorous than this was HotHead, but it doesn't come as dry yeast.

Has anyone noticed that the citrus aroma this yeast kicks out fades over time? It was super strong during fermentation but subtle in the finished beer. Hops were all cascades homegrown too, so that might play into it.

Yes, I noticed that. Just recently tasted my Voss Kveik Hardangerøl clone brewed last summer, so aged for a year. No citrusy esters left at all. Instead, the beer developed very nice aged notes reminding of a vintage Porto.

I'm going to be brewing a Hazy Pale, 1.047 roughly. Should I underpitch with half a pack or just use the whole yeast pack? I thought I may have read somewhere about this?

I pitch 1/2 to encourage the orange. Since pkg recommends 11gm/5gal or about 2gm/gal, I pitch just under 1gm/gal (I do this beer ferment in keg, only 4g volume, and that way I can simply split an 11gm pkg into 3 pitches of about 3.6gm)

Lmk how it turns out. Interested in a half packet at lower temps for a pale. The closest thing I've done to a pale was HEAVILY smoked so it might have hid some flaws. Gonna make a pale soon so I'd like to know how you make out.
Well, I cracked my first one after only a week of bottle conditioning. Needs some time to carb up, but it’s well enough to drink. The orange was much more restrained and stayed a bit more out of the way. It’s there, but subtle. It should clear up beautifully after a week or two in the fridge, as well.

Last year I brew a few batch with Lallemand Voss Kveik yeast, and these days two batch with Mangrove Jack M12 (Voss Kveik). I read somewhere that M12 is a pure copy of Lallemand’s yeast, but I claim it is not. With M12 I got less citrus and a much clearer and tastier beer than with Lallemand’s Voss Quaik yeast. APA according to the same recipe (only bittering and flavor hops) is much more aromatic with M12 than with US-05 which I used this winter. I think in general that beers with Voss Kveik yeast only need a stronger dose of bittering hops to make a good APA, and for IPA add a dryhop.

To me quite the opposite. 6 months old IPA, bittering additions only, same yeast derived flavour as on day one. My guess is, what's actually fading in your case might be the hops.

Can you post a recipe for that IPA with Voss Kveik yeast?

I made my first batches with Voss this weekend. I brewed a Blonde Ale yesterday, and I was surprised to hear bubbles within 4 hours. It's usually at least 24 hours and sometimes 2 days before I get it with Safale US05. I pitched 1/2 pack.

I pitched at about 104-105 degrees, wrapped my fermenter (keg) in a towel, and put it in the chest freezer in my garage. When I woke up this morning and opened the freezer, I could feel the heat radiating from the keg. My garage was 80 degrees and the chest freezer was over 90. Wort was over 100.

I brewed an IPA this morning and the same thing is happening - I heard bubbles from the blowoff at around 4 hours after pitching.

Maybe the most surprising part is that I filled my keg pretty high to the top, but didn't get any blowoff. With such a fast and vigorous fermentation I would have expected a lot of blowoff, my there wasn't any. I did use 10 drops of fermcap.

I'll cold crash on Friday (5-6 days after pitching) and drink it on Saturday.

I pitched at about 104-105 degrees

Be careful with that, it's at the limits of viability even for kveik - and is enough to kill some kveiks, although at least one member of the Voss multistrain happens to be one of the tougher ones. See this chart of viability vs temp (42°C=107.6°F,40°C=104°F,37°C=98.6°F,35°C=95°F) from the recent paper on kveik "toughness", which Lars explains in layman's terms here :
1630919161890.png

Be careful with that, it's at the limits of viability even for kveik - and is enough to kill some kveiks, although at least one member of the Voss multistrain happens to be one of the tougher ones. See this chart of viability vs temp (42°C=107.6°F,40°C=104°F,37°C=98.6°F,35°C=95°F) from the recent paper on kveik "toughness", which Lars explains in layman's terms here :
View attachment 741526
If I'm reading it correctly, Voss is almost perfectly viable at 104 degrees?

If I'm reading it correctly, Voss is almost perfectly viable at 104 degrees?

The chart refers to one isolate from the original Voss multistrain, not necessarily the commercial strain. I was just trying to make the point that you need to be careful, whilst kveiks like fermenting at much higher temperatures than regular yeast, you can't assume that their lethal temperature is likewise increased (and to make the point that fermentation temperatures do not correlate with lethal temperatures, you have their Ebbegarden isolate if anything less tolerant than a kolsch yeast)

Also "about 104-105" measured at one point in an imperfectly-mixed wort that has recently been boiling is not the same as 104±0.1 in a lab incubator. In this context, tenths of a degree can make a big difference - look at their saison-family yeast St Lucifer (StL), which has almost 100% viability at 40°C but just going to 42°C kills two-thirds of the cells.

Brewed a wet hop beer recently with my backyard cascades and Voss that came out nice - 4% pale ale. Fermented at 95 degrees in my garage. Added yeast nutrients and fermented down to1.008

Brewed my Citra pale ale today and fermented with Voss, will update soon.

I’m digging the ease of Voss in the dried form, get a couple of batches out one packet and not chilling fully to 68 is nice.

36932BE8-DE45-42F4-80D5-FDD3004848D6.jpeg

Brewed a wet hop beer recently

I’m digging the ease of Voss in the dried form, get a couple of batches out one packet and not chilling fully to 68 is nice.
Beer looks good.

You should be able to get a lifetimes brewing out of one packet if you dry the yeast from the bottom of a brew. Really easy to do and works great. I followed the David Heath homebrew drying kveik instructions.

Thanks- Yeah I’m going to get into drying at some point, I have some other strains of kveik too that I want to dry out. Just strapped for time at the moment - barely able to get some brew sessions in, so the packs are pretty easy.

Well you'll save brew time with the kveik that's for sure, less cooling and quicker fermenting. The drying wasn't a time expensive thing and has saved a fair bit.

This is a benefit that does not get as much attention as it should. This time of year I will struggle to get an ale down below 85F with my immersion chiller.

The air never gets that hot down here let alone the groundwater. Always thought though in my dream brewery to have a pit in the garden with a coiled pipe in it and all covered up again, using it as a heat exchanger with a pump for the cooling water. Seemed the eco choice but that's a long way down the list of wants.

I've used the Lallemand dry kveik three times now, and although it's a good hard-working yeast that does great at high temperatures, I'm just not liking it as much as the Imperial Loki. I made some damn fine IPA's with the one pack of Loki I've used, and still kicking myself that I trashed it with an overly-hopped IPA. The Lallemand just doesn't seem to throw the fruity esters at high temperatures as the Loki does. I do like using dry yeast over liquid just because of the longer shelf life, but if I'm going to re-use slurry like I do it doesn't really make that much of a difference. The Lallemand just ferments too clean, if there is such a thing. I will say that it's perfect for blondes or light ales that I don't want a lot of esters in, without temperature control.

This yeast is easy to get hold of in sweden.I pitched this earlier today in an IPA OG 1.070.I pitched at 36 Celsius and wrapped a winterjacket around the fermenter.Had to head to work after that and just got back some 9h later.It must have taken off like a rocket.Under the jacket the fermenter was hot 35-36 celsius and very active.I expect this to be fully fermented in another 24-36h.
Yeah, I made a starter of this back last summer, not knowing how active a yeast it was. The next morning g my kitchen floor and countertop was covered in hornindal.

This is a benefit that does not get as much attention as it should. This time of year I will struggle to get an ale down below 85F with my immersion chiller.
This and I'm a bit of a flippit brewer, extract brewing, brew not so much to style but to taste, and if it's beer it's probably drinkable. Dry Voss Keivk fills that bill well as I don't need a ferm chamber or an IC, just an ice bath. A basic heating pad, blanket and a temp controller and I'm good. I've made several batches @ 1.070+ with just 1/2 a pack so that's just $2.50-$3.00 a batch. That's a pretty small part of an extract beer cost. I have used a slurry of it once, it was a bit slower starting but still chewed it up.
Not sure my lazy ass will ever try drying it, then again, maybe once, just to say I did. Just my $0.02 worth.
Oh and another thing, I am also a spontaneous brewer. If the day is right I can can have bubbles in the fermenter in just a few hours as I always have at least one kit in the cupboard,,waiting.
Cheers, :mug:
Joel B.

It's minimal. Very light hint. But yes, I did. I've thought about brewing an actual orange stout with peel and/or juice. The kveik already tastes like those chocolate oranges you can get at Christmas Tree Shops (my Massachusetts is probably showing).
That is interesting. I don't know if I want to brew one right this instant, or cringe. It's in that area though.

Brewed a Big Kveik Pale Ale yesterday with dry Voss. OG was 1.078, down to 1.032 24 hours later. Btw, using the SPUNDit at 30. This was a last minute brew, just winged it.

Back