How to make my beer less bitter after brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopperdog

Reaction score
I recently brewed up some pale ale and the taste came out more bitter than expected. The beer is definitely drinkable but I would enjoy it much more if it was a little less bitter. What are some solutions to this problem?

I am not aware of any doable/working solution to what you are asking. It's gonne remain the way it is up to the point it's either too old or oxidised heavily. Bitterness can mellow out in time, but we are talking many months/years, at which point any hoppy beer, would lose its hoppiness and fresh hop aroma/flavour.

I read somewhere years ago about using "brewer's licorice" to reduce hop bitterness. Might research it.

Like Sammy86 said, time will definitely do it.

I've found with beers I'll call "sub-optimal" that if I really focus, breathe, and knock back six or eight of them the ones that follow are a lot better.

Learn about water chemistry... would
Almost guarantee your bitterness is water/pH related.

Can we know what type of beer you brew? Maybe tell us your batch size and which hop you used with the quantity and the cooking time...
Maybe you will get some more specific answers and will help you for the next brew because now i think we are playing at guessing 😅😅.

I've read this elsewhere too. Supposed to also work for coffee but TBH I couldn't tell a difference (w/ coffee). Maybe didn't use enough.

Generally speaking - this is homebrewing. Doesn't always taste how you wanted. Tweak accordingly for next time.

It's the chloride. You can use calcium chloride as well but it shifts the sulfate/chloride ratio to less harsh.

You can also swirl out a bit of the carbonation. Carbonation enhances bitterness.

Back