How to add sweetness to beer after fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capitalman

Reaction score
Hello everyone, Happy Friday!!!
Can someone here help me in how I can add sweetness to beer after fermentation? I just had my first little test taste after 14days primary fermentation and I would like to make it a little more sweeter. Somewhat bitter taste. I’m planning on kegging on Sunday. It’s a Belgian Wheat beer…
Thank you all!!!

Adding any fermentable sugar will just be eaten by the yeast. You could add some lactose, which isn't overly sweet, but would add some body and might offset the bitterness. Dissolve it in a small amount of water first, otherwise, adding powder might cause foaming due to nucleation.

You could add some artificial sweetener. The yeast won't ferment that.

Another option is to back-sweeten when serving. Add a little sugar solution, or perhaps some 7up to the glass. That way, you can experiment a little at a time and not risk ruining the whole batch.

yeah, was thinking of adding some none fermentable sugars before kegging. Although it’s only 14days into the process. New to this so any recommendations would be welcomed!

As others have suggested, let it sit for awhile. Beer flavors will change over time as it ages. If you can I'd let it alone for a few weeks. When I brew wheat beers I generally let them set for about four weeks before drinking them.

If you wan't a good sweeter beer you are to late and have to start over, change the maish schema so you got less fermentable sugars, and/or use a yeast that has a lower attenuation.

Adding sweetners or lactose won't result in anything nice in my opinion, better drink it dry!

IMO don't try messing with the beer at this point. Take some notes when first carb'd and when the keg is getting low. Use it as a learning experience.

You can add sugar when serving to see how sweet you really want it, and can dial in a recipe.

Germans are known to occasionally squirt a little fruit syrup into the glass before they fill with a weizen. You could try that with your beer -- start with peach or lemon and go from there.

Back