Hornindal Kveik is blowing my mind

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Blueberry beer is carved up and ready to drink!

Took a bit over two weeks, and was more than a little worried at first. The two sample bottles I had at 7/11 days both had a plastic/band aid off flavour to them, but this seems to have faded away completely.

The flavour also has a huge amount of blueberry flavour coming through, which I am thinking is a combination of blueberries and yeast playing well together.

Photo uploaded was the best I could do, camera was blurry and my counters are a wreck from packing. Hope to get a better one soon.

Attachments

• IMG_20190918_104004.jpg
    IMG_20190918_104004.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 119
Enjoying my DDH Hornindal NEIPA ~6 days grain to glass. Impressed for sure, though this totally masks any potential yeast character and was just really fun to ferment hot and fast.

Wondering what I should try with it next...

Attachments

• 20190918_205154.jpg
    20190918_205154.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 113
Enjoying my DDH Hornindal NEIPA ~6 days grain to glass. Impressed for sure, though this totally masks any potential yeast character and was just really fun to ferment hot and fast.

Wondering what I should try with it next...
The ester profile of Hornindal has over shadowed my last two NEIPAs’ hop profiles. This was underpitched and run hot. That substantial when considering I hop at 2.5oz/gallon total rate and dryhoped this time at 1.75oz/gallon

I've read about Kveik yeasts resulting in a lower finished beer pH than a standard ale yeast. I wonder if this is the case with the difference in taste you are noticing using Horindal.

I have definitely noticed a slight tartness in a majority of beers I have made using this yeast. I just chalked it up to high amounts of wheat, but my most resent was 100% Pilsner and seems to be the most tart. I have used liquid culture and stuff I have dried myself, I suppose it could be a lacto infection but all of these beers are highly hopped and most the laco I work with is extremely hop intolerant. The acidity did go great with a pineapple ipa tho!

I have definitely noticed a slight tartness in a majority of beers I have made using this yeast. I just chalked it up to high amounts of wheat, but my most resent was 100% Pilsner and seems to be the most tart. I have used liquid culture and stuff I have dried myself, I suppose it could be a lacto infection but all of these beers are highly hopped and most the laco I work with is extremely hop intolerant. The acidity did go great with a pineapple ipa tho!
I experienced the same with Voss but I also had an ongoing infection with some nasty and stubborn bug that wouldn't go away..... So not sure who actually did it.

I brewed a NEIPA on 9/14 using harvested Hornindal (3rd or 4th gen). My process is I make a 1.8L starter, add one 50ML vial of harvested yeast. On the stirplate for 2 days, harvest two 50ML vials for the next starter, cold crash, decant and pitch.
This last batch the highest the temps got was 90 degrees, then it slowly dropped down to 75. I kegged yesterday. I am getting alot of pineapple this time. Going to hook it up to CO2 today at 30 PSI for 36 hrs then down to serving pressure. Hoping to sample this by the weekend. OG 1.055 FG 1.006.

My Citra Pale Ale was kegged this last Sunday and carbing now. Will sample it Friday to see how it's doing. I recently pitched 10mL of slurry into some freshly pressed cider and saw no activity after 24 hours so pitched another 15mL last night. Anyone here have experience using Hornindal for cider?

I experienced the same with Voss but I also had an ongoing infection with some nasty and stubborn bug that wouldn't go away..... So not sure who actually did it.

I've been running some experiments with a bunch of different kveik yeasts after experiencing tart beers a couple of times. It seems as though kveik drives the pH down a little more than traditional ale and lager strains. My workaround has been shooting for a slightly higher mash pH (and therefore higher wort pH prior to yeast pitch). It seems that whenever my wort pH is in the 5.1-5.3 range I am at a higher risk of getting tart from the kveik whereas if I am closer to 5.4-5.6 I've never gotten the tartness. Higher water alkalinity will also help counteract the increased pH drop from kveik.

There is some Hornindal farmhouse kicking around infected with acetobactor. I threw away some batches which were a bit vinegary. I have thought Voss can make a wheat beer taste of lemon but notice it with other styles.

Brewed a barley wine this past weekend and used the slurry of hornidal (Omega) I harvested from the last DIPA I brewed 2 weeks ago. Pitched at 1.105 on Sun around noon. Crazy airlock activity within 4 hrs, but then it slowed drastically by last evening. Thinking it was choking on a big malt bill I decided to hit it with o2 this morning. Well, to my fear, without checking the gravity before adding the o2, I think it was really done in under 2 days. Gravity this afternoon is 1.020, and probably will get down a little lower I'd have to assume. I've just never seen a yeast like this one, not even close, that took a barley wine to terminal in literally 36 hours. Unreal. Hydrometer sample doesn't taste all that bad. Still a bunch of yeast to floc out, but still. Just now worried i'm looking at a badly oxidized beer due to the shot of o2 i added this morning. About 20 sec worth.

Brewed a barley wine this past weekend and used the slurry of hornidal (Omega) I harvested from the last DIPA I brewed 2 weeks ago. Pitched at 1.105 on Sun around noon. Crazy airlock activity within 4 hrs, but then it slowed drastically by last evening. Thinking it was choking on a big malt bill I decided to hit it with o2 this morning. Well, to my fear, without checking the gravity before adding the o2, I think it was really done in under 2 days. Gravity this afternoon is 1.020, and probably will get down a little lower I'd have to assume. I've just never seen a yeast like this one, not even close, that took a barley wine to terminal in literally 36 hours. Unreal. Hydrometer sample doesn't taste all that bad. Still a bunch of yeast to floc out, but still. Just now worried i'm looking at a badly oxidized beer due to the shot of o2 i added this morning. About 20 sec worth.
At least Barley wines are a style that oxidation can add depth. Granted that is usually an aged barelywine lol

I know. I’m hoping that it eats a little bit of it now, and then a bit more when I naturally carbonate in the keg. Whatever is left we’ll say adds depth :rock:

I know. I’m hoping that it eats a little bit of it now, and then a bit more when I naturally carbonate in the keg. Whatever is left we’ll say adds depth :rock:
Could always just toss some dme solution in there to cause some additional ferm

Always check your gravity before attempting stuff like that with Kveik. It's a monster. When in doubt it's probably just finished.

Always check your gravity before attempting stuff like that with Kveik. It's a monster. When in doubt it's probably just finished.

I hear ya, big mistake that I totally regretted afterward. Just didn't think it was possible for it to be that active...just crazy. Will plan to get it in the keg for 2-3 month conditioning. Hoping for the best.

Same here and like Kenmoron mentioned, I think I'll start shooting for a slightly higher mash pH to compensate for the yeast having a lower finished pH. I just finished up a string of beers with Omega's Hornindal and they were all good. The last one being a black IPA. I really think that yeast is perfect for black IPA.
I'm starting up another set of beers tonight with Hothead (Stranda) on a blonde with Hallertau Blanc. Looking forward to that one.

This is a Weldweeks clone brewed with Kveik. Temps hit 90 for one day then gradually dropped to 75 which was 3 days ago. Grain to glass about 10 days.
20190926_170638.jpeg

Last Tuesday I brewed a DIPA using this yeast and whatever ingredients I had laying around. 1.073 OG, Pilsner Malt, Wheat Malt, Oat and Wheat flakes and some Maris Otter. Hoped with Cascade and Nelson Sauvin in the whirlpool (5.6 g/L) and end of fermentation (planing on 10.6 g/L).

I had a two months old sealed jar with slurry from a started that I didn't use. So following Lars' Blog instructions I pitched only one teaspoon of that compact slurry. The wort was aerated for 10 min with a stone and dosed with a generous amount of yeast nutrient.
  • 5 hours after pitching the airlock started bubbling
  • 40 hours after pitching I was prepared to top crop (following Lars' Blog again) but SG was still 1.060
The krausen was looking healthy so I top cropped a bit and put it in a 1L 1.040 starter on the stir plate with a heating belt for 10 hours.
  • Today, 64 hours after pitching I dumped (EDIT: threw it in the fermenter) the decanted starter and one hour later the airlock activity increased considerably
I never rush my beers, so I hadn't thought about doing this before, but this one has to be ready by Saturday next week. Also the fact that kveik propagates so fast and has such a short lag time made me think about it. Has anybody done something similar here?

I bit more info:
  • Pitch temperature was 30ºC. After 48h I raised it to 32ºC and held it there
  • The 1.060 hydrometer sample tasted really good for that gravity, this yeast is amazing! I can't wait for FG!

My Citra Pale Ale was kegged this last Sunday and carbing now. Will sample it Friday to see how it's doing. I recently pitched 10mL of slurry into some freshly pressed cider and saw no activity after 24 hours so pitched another 15mL last night. Anyone here have experience using Hornindal for cider?

I just started a batch of simple cider using hornindal yesterday. So far little activity, but to be honest I was expecting that.

One of the factors that speeds up fermenting us heat, and cider has little to no heat other than ambient, so often much lower than we pitch at, and very much lower than we all seem to pitch kveik at.

When did it end up taking off?

I just started a batch of simple cider using hornindal yesterday. So far little activity, but to be honest I was expecting that.

One of the factors that speeds up fermenting us heat, and cider has little to no heat other than ambient, so often much lower than we pitch at, and very much lower than we all seem to pitch kveik at.

When did it end up taking off?
I added another 6 teaspoons of nutrient and a 45mL vial of slurry another 3 days later and noticed some activity either later that night or in the morning. I also turned my temp controller up to 90.

I added another 6 teaspoons of nutrient and a 45mL vial of slurry another 3 days later and noticed some activity either later that night or in the morning. I also turned my temp controller up to 90.

That sounds really sluggish for kveik, even for bottom cropped slurry. Atleast it's taken off now. How is it coming along?

Mine really took off 14 hours later, and by 24 the blow off tube was nearly fully clogged from yeast

That sounds really sluggish for kveik, even for bottom cropped slurry. Atleast it's taken off now. How is it coming along?

Mine really took off 14 hours later, and by 24 the blow off tube was nearly fully clogged from yeast

I haven't taken any gravity samples as I have it in a glass fermenter and the only wine thief I have right now is dedicated to sours. It's still bubbling maybe twice a minute. Smell out of the airlock is pretty sulphury. I'll probably transfer it from my 6 gallon fermenter into a 5 gallon to get it off any sediment and to reduce headspace.

Brewed "Bird Law NEIPA" from a recipe I found on Reddit. Put the wort on top of the yeast cake from another beer I kegged just before. From 1.064 to 1.006 in 2 days! 2 hours after transferring the wort onto the yeast cake there was 1.5" of krauzen. I should have done my first dryhop right away when transferring to the fermenter. Hopefully I didn't pick up too much O2 when I added the second dry hop this morning.\
https://share.brewfather.app/64tXXxgjwTa7wH

So funny thing. I saved some over built starter for future batches of Hornindal. The starter finished around 1.008 and stayed there for 20 hours before I crashed. Decanted and then pitched a tbs. I saved the rest of the slurry in this 16oz jar for future batches. This was a month ago. Today I just happened to look at it and it was bulging at the Cap. Uncapped and it just went off lol. The co2 trapped in the yeast slowly left every time we open and closed the fridge door. Long story short. Remember to degas these from time to time lol
06A52EE0-15E5-4799-8682-845E624C3CD8.jpeg
image.jpg

So funny thing. I saved some over built starter for future batches of Hornindal. The starter finished around 1.008 and stayed there for 20 hours before I crashed. Decanted and then pitched a tbs. I saved the rest of the slurry in this 16oz jar for future batches. This was a month ago. Today I just happened to look at it and it was bulging at the Cap. Uncapped and it just went off lol. The co2 trapped in the yeast slowly left every time we open and closed the fridge door. Long story short. Remember to degas these from time to time lol View attachment 647514 View attachment 647515
That looks to have cleared just fine. I thought Horningdal Kveik didn't clear at all?

So funny thing. I saved some over built starter for future batches of Hornindal. The starter finished around 1.008 and stayed there for 20 hours before I crashed. Decanted and then pitched a tbs. I saved the rest of the slurry in this 16oz jar for future batches. This was a month ago. Today I just happened to look at it and it was bulging at the Cap. Uncapped and it just went off lol. The co2 trapped in the yeast slowly left every time we open and closed the fridge door. Long story short. Remember to degas these from time to time lol View attachment 647514 View attachment 647515
Had the exact same thing happening with Voss kveik. The kveiks seem to continue chewing on the longer sugars slowly.

Just brewed my first batch with this yeast today. Recipe is:
10# pilsner
.75# honey malt
.5# Munich malt
Hops:
.75 oz Magnum @ 60
.25 oz Magnum @ 45
1 oz citra @ flame out steep for 15 min
1 oz citra @ pitch
Pitched Omega Hornindal Kviek yeast @ 85* at around 5:45 this afternoon. Checked the air lock around 11 pm and it was rolling! OG was 1.046. Any bets how long this will take to finish?

Just brewed my first batch with this yeast today. Recipe is:
10# pilsner
.75# honey malt
.5# Munich malt
Hops:
.75 oz Magnum @ 60
.25 oz Magnum @ 45
1 oz citra @ flame out steep for 15 min
1 oz citra @ pitch
Pitched Omega Hornindal Kviek yeast @ 85* at around 5:45 this afternoon. Checked the air lock around 11 pm and it was rolling! OG was 1.046. Any bets how long this will take to finish?
Should be done now :D

I would say you’re definitely in the upper teens already if not lower. I went from a 1.072-1.010 in 54 hours one time. It was probably done even before that since I checked when I woke up.

So typically I'll let a beer sit for a week in primary after signs of fermentation are gone, to "clean up" . How long does this yeast usually take for that phase?

BTW- it's still bubbling, but slower than it was last night. That's just crazy!

So typically I'll let a beer sit for a week in primary after signs of fermentation are gone, to "clean up" . How long does this yeast usually take for that phase?

BTW- it's still bubbling, but slower than it was last night. That's just crazy!
To clean up? If you’re running it warm maybe a day. I went grain to class with crashing and a 2 day dryhop in 7.5 days

I’m honestly starting to wonder whether this yeast actually leaves anything to clean up. I’ve pushed the limits in a very light beer (White Ale with ABV of 4.2%) by racking to the keg after only 48 hours, as the Tilt indicated it had reached 1.008 by the 18-hour mark. This was fermented in the upper 90s Fahrenheit. No discernible off-flavors.View attachment 649064

I’m honestly starting to wonder whether this yeast actually leaves anything to clean up. I’ve pushed the limits in a very light beer (White Ale with ABV of 4.2%) by racking to the keg after only 48 hours, as the Tilt indicated it had reached 1.008 by the 18-hour mark. This was fermented in the upper 90s Fahrenheit. No discernible off-flavors.View attachment 649064
This.

No cleaning up phase required.

Latest posts

Back