Hornindal Kveik is blowing my mind

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first thought as well. Thats a big difference though.

Has anyone had issues with chill haze using Horindal or Voss?
Yeah, I know it looks like oxidation, but if that's the case, shouldn't the entire batch look the same? The 2 beers in the photo are from the same batch, and were both stored the same way.

caps didn't seal as well? stuff still in the bottles? maybe that was the first bottle and the air in the filler hose caused it to splash more? These are notorious for being very difficult to bottle. One of the main reasons I got into kegging. I might even guess infection, I had a problem with a hef on a couple bottles, that the first thing I noticed was color difference then they turned into gushers, taste was still okay until half the bottle would empty it self when taking the cap off.

caps didn't seal as well? stuff still in the bottles? maybe that was the first bottle and the air in the filler hose caused it to splash more? These are notorious for being very difficult to bottle. One of the main reasons I got into kegging. I might even guess infection, I had a problem with a hef on a couple bottles, that the first thing I noticed was color difference then they turned into gushers, taste was still okay until half the bottle would empty it self when taking the cap off.
Thanks for the reply. I'll give it another shot soon, and I'll be even more careful. I gave up making really hoppy beers a few years ago because the hops were fading so quickly, but I changed my process and thought I would give it another try. The good thing is that most of the bottles have been amazing and have held up really well for a month so far. I'll stop hijacking this thread now, but for those still on the fence, Hornindal makes a great juicy pale ale.

Thanks. I was specifically asking what they meant by slurry - they say one TBS.....do they mean dried, or off of the bottom of a fermented, or washed yeast. They had success- I’m interested in what they did (realizing that there are different methods... I’m interested in the one they used this specific time).
Make a starter, when finished harvest 50-100ML and use that for your next starter. Keep repeating. That's what I do now.

Does anybody have any ideas as to why this would happen with a few bottles out of a batch? I did use a few bottles that a friend gave me that had some gunk in them, but I thought the oxiclean soak had gotten rid of it. I'm wondering if that could be the cause. The taste does seem to be a little different but not strikingly so.View attachment 621356

Oxidization can be a real issue when you bottle condition NEIPA-style beers with adjuncts and alot of late-hops. Do some searching on c02 transfers.

Yesterday afternoon, I picked up an expired pack of Omega Hornidal Kveik for $0.50 - how could I go wrong? I don't brew IPAs, have a basement in MN that allows for coolish fermentation year-round, and typically brew Saisons and Belgians anyhow. But, it sounds like this is a pretty versatile yeast, able to also do stouts and the like. Is that right? Is there a non-yeast driven style for which this would not be appropriate?

Yesterday afternoon, I picked up an expired pack of Omega Hornidal Kveik for $0.50 - how could I go wrong? I don't brew IPAs, have a basement in MN that allows for coolish fermentation year-round, and typically brew Saisons and Belgians anyhow. But, it sounds like this is a pretty versatile yeast, able to also do stouts and the like. Is that right? Is there a non-yeast driven style for which this would not be appropriate?

I personally only tried Voss and one original Kveik from a brewer in Norway and both had a similar flavour which I really like, but would not want to see in a dark beer, but that might be just my personal taste and maybe Hornindal tastes different than the two I had.

Anyhow, everything pale works with kveik imo!

I personally only tried Voss and one original Kveik from a brewer in Norway and both had a similar flavour which I really like, but would not want to see in a dark beer, but that might be just my personal taste and maybe Hornindal tastes different than the two I had.

This was my experience as well, plays nice with fruit, tart and/or hops.

I've done several Porter's and stouts using hordinal , pitching at normal rates and fermenting at 66-68f resulted in a beer without the fruity estery character that the yeast puts out at high temps but still at typical kviek turnaround times.

I actually made a coffee Porter with it recently. Fermented in the 60s, really no yeast flavors in the final product that I can discern.

I actually made a coffee Porter with it recently. Fermented in the 60s, really no yeast flavors in the final product that I can discern.

I pitched the yeast at 37c, maybe that was the big difference... Without the particular yeast flavour, I guess this should work well.

I pitched the yeast at 37c, maybe that was the big difference... Without the particular yeast flavour, I guess this should work well.

I thought that was the deal with these strains. Granted I’ve only used Voss myself but Horindal and Voss seem to be have similar. Ferment in the 60’s-70’s range and they ferment clean. Ferment in the 80-90 range and/or underpitch and its citrus esters galore.

I thought that was the deal with these strains. Granted I’ve only used Voss myself but Horindal and Voss seem to be have similar. Ferment in the 60’s-70’s range and they ferment clean. Ferment in the 80-90 range and/or underpitch and its citrus esters galore.
Have you experienced a slight tartness with voss? Mine got a bit tart but I am not sure if it was due to heavy underpitching, temperature swings (started at 37c but didn't control temperature and didn't isolate the fermenter) or if it is just a thing of Voss.

I'll try wrapping it in a sleeping bag next time.

Have you experienced a slight tartness with voss? Mine got a bit tart but I am not sure if it was due to heavy underpitching, temperature swings (started at 37c but didn't control temperature and didn't isolate the fermenter) or if it is just a thing of Voss.

I'll try wrapping it in a sleeping bag next time.

I had a batch of hornidal with juniper take on a slight tartness after the beer cleared and sat in the keg for a while. I just chalked it up to it being a raw ale and maybe lacto took hold. We ferment these beers at temperature lacto loves. Then again it could be the yeast, but I haven’t had that problem with the IPAs I made.

2nd batch with a normal pitch of Hornindal Omega took 5 days to ferment out at 30c. Biggest problem for me with this yeast is that there are pieces of yeast that refuse to drop out even with cold crashing. Low flocculation means loss of hop aroma... so definately a big NO for me for anything hoppy.

2nd batch with a normal pitch of Hornindal Omega took 5 days to ferment out at 30c. Biggest problem for me with this yeast is that there are pieces of yeast that refuse to drop out even with cold crashing. Low flocculation means loss of hop aroma... so definately a big NO for me for anything hoppy.

Was this a new commercial pitch? I’m asking as both Hothead and Hornindal have ripped through wort in 1-2 days at that temp range (85-95F).

Always a trade off, but in my experience these yeast flocc real hard, like turn to rubbery gum.

Was this a new commercial pitch? I’m asking as both Hothead and Hornindal have ripped through wort in 1-2 days at that temp range (85-95F).

Always a trade off, but in my experience these yeast flocc real hard, like turn to rubbery gum.
I didn't go as high as 95F so it seems you really need to go that high if you want to take advantage of the fast fermenting time.

It was 2nd generation dried yeast from a commercial pitch of Omega. Made a 1 liter starter with 2 grams cause my last ferment with 2 teaspoons messed up...

Yes it compacted like crazy jelly at the bottom of my keg but it also created floating pieces of yeast which plugged the transfer badly.
To be fair these yeast clumps that are floating are quiet big and thick so they might not absorb as much hopoils as I'm thinking but the idea that yeast stays in suspension doesn't comfort me. I want yeast to drop out as fast as possible. I don't want to be cold crashing for a few days before dry hopping to prevent DO.

Last month I picked up an expired pack of Omega Hornindal at a LHBS for under a buck - how could I go wrong? I don't have the pack in front of me, but it's in a black package if that speaks to how old it is.

I don't doubt I can revive it, but should I given its ability to ferment at low pitch rates? I don't have any particular brews in mind for this strain, but who knows what I'll think of. After reading more about it, I just don't know how to treat this old pack of kveik.

Last month I picked up an expired pack of Omega Hornindal at a LHBS for under a buck - how could I go wrong? I don't have the pack in front of me, but it's in a black package if that speaks to how old it is.

I don't doubt I can revive it, but should I given its ability to ferment at low pitch rates? I don't have any particular brews in mind for this strain, but who knows what I'll think of. After reading more about it, I just don't know how to treat this old pack of kveik.
Use the calculators to size a starter that will bring it back to 100bn cells or so then put the jar in the fridge while you think of what to pitch it into. $1 is a bargain.

I recently brewed a hoppy pale ale with cascade, simcoe (cryo and pellets) and citra (cryo) and my magnetic stirrer had just broken, so I just went ahead and used 1 tsp of a 4 months old fridge-stored slurry of Hornindal.

I was a little sceptic when I pitched it, but it was awesome fermented at 33–34C.
It tasted better than I've experienced with this yeast when using it freshly propagated and (I assume heavily) overpitched.

This time I only used pilsner malt and no unmalted adjuncts which I've been using before, which also could have brightened the experience of the beer though.

This is my new go-to yeast, for sure!

eW8j2v8.jpg

What flavors are you guys looking for in other ales besides ipa & pale with this strain? or are you just happy to brew in summer without off flavors? I'd like to try the yeast ion a couple other styles. I read someone was doing lager-like beers at lower temps...
Late reply...
Just tried a ferm temp for a pale ale at 78 and ended up with a hoppy stella in 4 days.. But still really good!

I'm back into brewing after a few year hiatus and the kveik yeasts seem to be the hot new thing. i'm intrigued.

I have a ferm fridge but the room temp of my place is a consistent 65-70. I know kveik will 'work', but at those temps will it be that different from a traditional yeast? I usually use S-04 and Notty.

Have you stored the yeast for a while and then brewed without a starter? Lars mentions that he stores a bunch of strains in his fridge. I'm hoping to not buy a new pack this summer but its been stored since last fall. I don't want make a starter and then have too much yeast = no flavors.

I'm back into brewing after a few year hiatus and the kveik yeasts seem to be the hot new thing. i'm intrigued.

I have a ferm fridge but the room temp of my place is a consistent 65-70. I know kveik will 'work', but at those temps will it be that different from a traditional yeast? I usually use S-04 and Notty.

Pitch your yeast at 95F and wrap the fermenter in a blanket.

You can also get a temp regulator and ferm wrap for about $50 on amazon.

just brewed an ipa with this strain. was only able to get the temp around 85-90. OG was 1.076 and FG was 1.021, which i thought was a little high but doesn't taste to sweet. fermented for 2 weeks.

anyone get this high of a FG?

just brewed an ipa with this strain. was only able to get the temp around 85-90. OG was 1.076 and FG was 1.021, which i thought was a little high but doesn't taste to sweet. fermented for 2 weeks.

Recipe and process?

Not with Horindal but I did with Voss on a 1.080 saison. Hit 1.020 FG after 3 days. Stayed that way for a 2 weeks.

Sunday, opened a 3.38oz pack of Omega Hornindal, separated it into 6 Tupperware containers, roughly 1/2 oz each. This probably got me 1tsp pure yeast in each vial. Brewed a 1.062 beer, added 3tsp yeast nutrient, pitched one vial of the yeast around 75 degrees. 14 hours later I checked on it, and it was puking out the airlock. Had a brew belt on it, and wrapped, thermometer is just between bucket and wrap, so guessing it is reading a few degrees lower than actual. Was reading low 90s later that day.
20190527_085438.jpg
20190527_112610.jpg

Last edited:
Can anyone recommend pitching amounts for Voss Kveik? The package is unopened from November 2018. 10 gallon batch of 1.050 OG and looking for pronounced orange esters. Thanks

I just picked up some of this stuff. Excited to try it for the first time. I'm going to be fermenting a pils soon in my ferm chamber so my other batch going will be this, maybe sitting in my hot as balls garage to really get the temp up.

Can anyone recommend pitching amounts for Voss Kveik? The package is unopened from November 2018. 10 gallon batch of 1.050 OG and looking for pronounced orange esters. Thanks

Haven’t used Voss, but at the high temps (90+ F) I’ve used them at, I have had very fast fermentation times with Hothead and Hornindal.

Good insurance would to be make a 1L starter, should see fermentation within 2-3 hours. Can pitch after 24 hr when you see the yeast visibly flocc.

Haven’t used Voss, but at the high temps (90+ F) I’ve used them at, I have had very fast fermentation times with Hothead and Hornindal.

Good insurance would to be make a 1L starter, should see fermentation within 2-3 hours. Can pitch after 24 hr when you see the yeast visibly flocc.

Thanks for the recommendation. Would you say use the entire pack and pitch the entire starter? Would that be an over pitch for Kveik? Thanks!

Back