Fermzilla cracked lid safe to use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ninkwood

Reaction score
Hi folks, simple question here for the more experienced amongst us. I was planning on brewing my second batch this weekend but I cracked the lid on my fermzilla removing it after my first batch. I've ordered a replacement but it won't arrive for a couple weeks and I can't get one locally. Though the crack is very small, the fermzilla won't hold water (tried sealing the crack to no avail).

Obviously pressure fermenting is out of the question, but would it be safe to brew with a airlock in this case or will my beer most likely end up infected/oxygenated to the point it's not worth it?

Thanks!

I didn't know what a Fermzilla lid looked like so I Googled it then click on Images...and holy cow, who knew there were so many types of lids for those fermentors!

Anyway...given the crack isn't gas tight you could just drape a piece of cloth over the lid. Even assuming your lid accepts an air lock, the CO2 may just sneak through the crack...

Personally, I would fit the lid in place, then super glue over the crack. Thats probably enough to prevent bacteria.
I actually tried this before I tested it by filling with water and turning upside down. It didn't leak fast but after a minute or so there were definitely a few drops worth of water under the pressure cap. I think you're probably right though that it's unlikely to be a problem. I just don't want to ruin a batch as I may get discouraged from the hobby if I don't get encouraging results from my first few attempts. I like the towel idea from @day_trippr, might soak one in sani and try that. Thanks both of you!

When fermentation is done, when it needs to be sealed, place a few layers of food wrap/cling film over the opening then screw the lid on.

Last edited:
Hi folks, simple question here for the more experienced amongst us. I was planning on brewing my second batch this weekend but I cracked the lid on my fermzilla removing it after my first batch. I've ordered a replacement but it won't arrive for a couple weeks and I can't get one locally. Though the crack is very small, the fermzilla won't hold water (tried sealing the crack to no avail).

Obviously pressure fermenting is out of the question, but would it be safe to brew with a airlock in this case or will my beer most likely end up infected/oxygenated to the point it's not worth it?

Thanks!

Where is the crack on your lid? The last batch I did in my All Rounder, I couldn't get it to hold pressure above a couple of pounds. I'm wondering if I have cracked mine as well because of it. Those lids are hard to pry off!

Where is the crack on your lid? The last batch I did in my All Rounder, I couldn't get it to hold pressure above a couple of pounds. I'm wondering if I have cracked mine as well because of it. Those lids are hard to pry off!
Good question, I should have shared this from the beginning. The Teflon tape is covering the super glue from the outside. Could be the tape causing the leak now that I think about it. I think I'll give this another try again tomorrow if I get bored.

I've since picked up some keg lube that makes getting the lid off a bit easier. Also, I've learned not to stick things in these holes and pry. The way to get these lids off is to use 1-2 psi of residual pressure to pop the seal before fully unscrewing the top. $10 lesson, no biggie, it's just the 2 week delay that is frustrating for me!
20231230_083818.jpg

Just brew an ale, leave the lid off and put a clean tea towel on the top. When ferment finished cold crash and bottle.
So you're saying it's not that big of a deal to have an open fermentation? I have a wheat beer slated to go next, I figure that would be a good option for no-pressure fermentation anyway. I just didn't want to waste my time if it would open the door wide open to an infection

Good question, I should have shared this from the beginning. The Teflon tape is covering the super glue from the outside. Could be the tape causing the leak now that I think about it. I think I'll give this another try again tomorrow if I get bored.

I've since picked up some keg lube that makes getting the lid off a bit easier. Also, I've learned not to stick things in these holes and pry. The way to get these lids off is to use 1-2 psi of residual pressure to pop the seal before fully unscrewing the top. $10 lesson, no biggie, it's just the 2 week delay that is frustrating for me!
View attachment 837747

Thanks for posting the pic. With my lid, I too had to resort to loosening the lid ring and hit the Fermzilla with some pressure. Now, I wonder if this may have caused a cracked lid.

It scared the hell out of me when the lid popped loose, that's for sure.

Thanks for posting the pic. With my lid, I too had to resort to loosening the lid ring and hit the Fermzilla with some pressure. Now, I wonder if this may have caused a cracked lid.

It scared the hell out of me when the lid popped loose, that's for sure.
They're certainly a finicky product... Cheap and great entry level purchase but definitely not very durable.

I saw in a video somewhere about prying up underneath the red/yellow ball lock fittings. I have a tap wrench that's like a thin stamped steel open ended socket wrench that I use. So pryjng up on the ball lock, using the lid ring as leverage. Pop up one side a bit, move to the other ball lock.

I've never had any issues that would seem like damage (other than I wish my wrench was hardened steel so it wouldn't get a bend sometimes...)

I saw in a video somewhere about prying up underneath the red/yellow ball lock fittings. I have a tap wrench that's like a thin stamped steel open ended socket wrench that I use. So pryjng up on the ball lock, using the lid ring as leverage. Pop up one side a bit, move to the other ball lock.

I've never had any issues that would seem like damage (other than I wish my wrench was hardened steel so it wouldn't get a bend sometimes...)

Thats what i do.

except for the one time i pressure fermented, and forgot to let the pressure out. lid put a 1/4 dent in kitchen ceiling. :eek:

Most of us ferment without pressure and a great many ferment in buckets with leaky lids. When you brew beer your yeast produce a lot of CO2 that needs to be vented and we have airlocks for that but sometimes the bucket lids leak enough that we never seen any action in the airlock. Your cracked lid on the Fermzilla is then similar. Once the yeast finish the production of CO2 ceases but there is more CO2 dissolved in the beer than it can hold onto for long term and it keeps escaping for weeks. That escaping
CO2 will keep bacteria out because they can't swim against the outflow.

Go ahead and brew another beer but don't keep it in the fermenter for months. 2-3 weeks will be plenty for most beers and for that amount of time there will be CO2 escaping. Brew it and plan to get it out in a reasonable amount of time and quit worrying about it.

The barm or krausen that I've had on wheat beers when fermenting is hard to keep in the fermenter.
You'll get a better beer open fermenting it I expect, but will lose the spunding gain of CO2. But I think wheat beers are better bottled anyway.

Back