Any Other All Rounder (or other Fermzilla) Owners Have Issues Holding Pressure?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yesfan

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This past month hasn't been kind to me. The last beer, I severely underpitched and the resulting beer is kinda "meh" even though somewhat drinkable. The current one, I decided to use my All Rounder for it. I found out (the hard way) it won't hold pressure. To make things worse, this was going to be a pressure fermented lager. So basically, I'm fermenting a lager at room temp. Beer in question is a Mexican lager with Que Bueno yeast.

I've tried everything, but couldn't get the lid to seal. I changed out the posts thinking it was them, nope. I tried reseating the lid to no avail. I even tried wrapping the threaded part of the fermenter with Teflon tape to see if it would help hold some pressure. Nada. I've just gave up, so this is going to be an interesting beer when finished. Two things.

1) Anyone have sealing issues with their All Rounder? What was the main culprit and how did you fix it? I did look at the gasket and it seems to be ok. Turth be told, I didn't like keeping the lid off any longer than I had to, so the gasket could be trashed and need replacement for all I know.

2) Anyone ever pitch Que Bueno at 72F? What was the resulting beer? Good?, Bad?, Dumped?

I just hope the All Rounders aren't one of those fermenters that are toasted after a few pressured fermentations. Next beer is either going to be an ale, or I'll just stick with my kegs for pressure fermentations.

I'm not familiar with the fermzilla. But I have used fermentasaurus for several years.
I've lost pressure with them a few times due to me not tightening the lid sufficiently and then the gasket getting squeezed out but I haven't changed any seals on them.
Fermzilla should hold pressure fine for many brews. It's not got a deformed opening due to overheating in the sun or with hot liquids and hence your struggles with getting a seal?
Have you checked the PRV is in tight? you mention the posts only.
Is the gasket a round O ring? The fermentasaurus has a special gasket that is sided.

Special gasket and I also tested the PRV. I swapped it out with some other PRVs to verify, but I got the same results. I think there may be an issue with the lid gasket. It is special sided (no O-ring) gasket probably like your Fermentasaurus. I put some Keg Lube (lightly) on the gasket, but also no go. The gasket is there, but it's like there's no gasket at all when I try to seal with gas.

Seems like I saw on a video (The Home Brew Network?) where Kegland changed the gasket due to possible issues, but I don't know if that was recent and/or just an Aussie only issue. That's the main reasoning of my post. I know there's a few Fermzilla owners here so was wondering if they ran into similar issues.

I've had this issue and it has always been the disconnect fittings. Either the gasket on the ss type or over tightening the plastic type with no gasket. The all rounder lid proper has actually never given me trouble.

I've only had it not hold pressure once in over 50 batches. It was the small gasket inside/at the bottom of the PRV valve. It somehow got dislodged and was keeping the PRV valve from shutting. I pulled out the gasket with tweezers, reseated it on the valve, and everything worked fine again.

Oh, I forgot about the stainless steel disconnects. I constantly had issues with those not sealing on the Fermzilla and stopped using them. I've never had a problem with the plastic ones. Though it's possible a dislodged spring inside a disconnect could be an issue.

The fermentasaurus gasket is flat on one side ( although has small ridges on it) that side fits against the lid. The other side of the gasket has an edge to it so that it fits partly inside the opening of the fermentasaurus and the rest of the gasket is on top of fermentasaurus opening.
I've noticed it's important to get the gasket evenly placed.

Oh, I forgot about the stainless steel disconnects. I constantly had issues with those not sealing on the Fermzilla and stopped using them. I've never had a problem with the plastic ones. Though it's possible a dislodged spring inside a disconnect could be an issue.
I can second this. I’ve done 20+ batches in my fermzilla and the few times it has leaked, it’s been from the disconnects. It got much worse after I replaced. The “cheap“ plastic ones with “more durable“ stainless steel ones. I’ve gone back to the plastic , always use PTFE tape and haven’t had a problem since.

I'm currently fermenting under pressure and am not having any issues. it's been holding 10 psi since sunday. No PET tape or anything, but it is the plastic caps that came with it.

Keg lube on the lid o ring fixed my problems. The leak was so slow I didn't notice it until fermentation stopped. I added pressure daily to keep it at 15psi until I kegged it. A few times I've had to take the lid off to fix the dip tube and it roused the yeast.

Thanks guys. I'll double check the gaskets on everything you mentioned when I keg this beer. @DuncB does the lid gasket have to be oriented a certain way? I'm wondering if I put the gasket back in upside down and not realized it.

The active part of fermentation looks to be done more or less. This will be the first lager I've fermented above 70F, LOL!

Back