Don't Do That.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
knitting machine.

??? my mom and grandama did it by hand, cheater!

1675576643755.png

but i'd still like a nice beanie....and i don't if your comment about enough yarn is to thaw my head or cover it......

Don't get so embroiled in a new hobby (anyone need a knitted beanie? Seriously, I've got bunches) that you leave brewing too late, to the point you have to brew two kveik batches in one weekend
You spelled day incorrectly. Two batches one day, a third batch the next and now the pipeline if filled for the moment.

BOT.

When you are doing a true pressure-fermented lager for the first time, DON'T get antsy and crash too soon; just because the hydrometer says it's 'done', it still needs cleanup time. Acetaldehyde is not a nice flavor to get on first taste. Yah, don't do that. I should know better.

While steeping grains, attempt to turn the burner for the boil kettle up to High. Actually it was the steeping pan burner that was turned up to High, and the grains got up to boiling. (Cooled back down as fast as possible)

As if that wasn't enough, add the finishing hops at the start of the boil. (Face palm) So too much bitterness and no aroma hops.

Don't do that.
Don't do that.

I was silver soldering bezel to a setting. Making a pendant with three settings for stone... lapis and two big pieces of Tibetan green turquoise. My torch had the silver solder flowing nicely when one of the bezels scootched a bit to the side and was wonky, the torch was in my right hand so I reached over with my left index finger and pushed it straight.

Don’t do that.

I was silver soldering bezel to a setting. Making a pendant with three settings for stone... lapis and two big pieces of Tibetan green turquoise. My torch had the silver solder flowing nicely when one of the bezels scootched a bit to the side and was wonky, the torch was in my right hand so I reached over with my left index finger and pushed it straight.

Don’t do that.
Many hot things look like cold things. Back in high school, one of the chemistry teachers had what he called Weaver's First Law: "Hot glass looks like cold glass." (Yes we were allowed to use open flames to do glass work at school.)

Years later I wasn't thinking about Weaver's First Law when a pickup truck I was following dropped it's entire exhaust system in the middle of the road. I decided to be a good citizen and clear the hazard from the road. A hot exhaust pipe looks just like a cold exhaust pipe. Don't do that!

Brew on :mug:

Many hot things look like cold things. Back in high school, one of the chemistry teachers had what he called Weaver's First Law: "Hot glass looks like cold glass." (Yes we were allowed to use open flames to do glass work at school.)

Years later I wasn't thinking about Weaver's First Law when a pickup truck I was following dropped it's entire exhaust system in the middle of the road. I decided to be a good citizen and clear the hazard from the road. A hot exhaust pipe looks just like a cold exhaust pipe. Don't do that!

I remember watching drag racing at US30 drag strip in Indiana (~1973).

One car, a 69 Chevelle with a big block spit a rod out the bottom. It was snapped off just below the wrist-pin boss.

The rod bounced off the track, then landed in the adjacent lane.
No harm, it didn't hit anyone, everything looked OK, until the poor track worker walked over and picked it up.
He was able to hold it for about 1 second :oops:

Don't do that!

Related to brewing;

We had just installed a new gas cooktop in the kitchen during a fall remodel.
As luck would have it, I received a homebrew kit for Christmas.
So I am in full learning mode.
I have a ~3gal. stockpot that reached full boil with about 1" to spare to the rim of the pot, extract was all in and it was time for the bittering hops. I looked at the hops and thought "those are only about a tablespoon, they should fit just fine".

Don't do that, even though I'm pretty sure many already have.:D

i thought you kids with cell phones had IR cameras built in these days?

Those are pretty rare and purpose-built. I don't know of any phones from the bigs (Apple, Samsung, etc) that have native IR capability one can exploit. Indeed phones usually have fairly heavy IR cut filters on their cameras...

Cheers!

Most digitalis have the IR filters. When desiring IR specific camera for astrophotography, one has to special order from the bigs, or just go with a purpose built camera.

Most digitalis have the IR filters. When desiring IR specific camera for astrophotography, one has to special order from the bigs, or just go with a purpose built camera.
I have an old Sony camcorder. I noticed (many years ago) that it would "see" the IR LED in some remote controls when they activated.
It was visible on the built-in screen.
I'm sure you couldn't easily take advantage of it but I thought it was interesting.

Do you think I am correct that it was seeing the IR?

Absolutely correct. I still use a cell phone camera if one of our many IR remotes seems to be on the fritz - the IR blaster from a remote will bleed through most IR cut filters enough that you can see the whitish transmitter "glow" to know it's working or not...

Cheers!

LOL. My high school chemistry teacher had a similar saying that is applicable outside the lab as well:

When you heat things, they get hot.

He told us this at the beginning of the year, and guaranteed that someone would forget that simple truism in class before the end of the year. Prediction: true. Wasn't me in class, but has happened to me plenty of times in life. My wife and kids know the saying now, too :ban:

My HS physics lab partner actually set his hair on fire once. Something with optics and candles. He was pretty pissed when I started slapping his head, but he probably would have been even more pissed if I hadn't.
Years ago I was sitting next to a friend of mine who set his really long hair ablaze while firing up a bowl during a Kinks concert at Cornell University.

I have an old Sony camcorder. I noticed (many years ago) that it would "see" the IR LED in some remote controls when they activated.
It was visible on the built-in screen.
I'm sure you couldn't easily take advantage of it but I thought it was interesting.

I have an old Sony camcorder and noticed when I filmed in low-light mode, I could see right through a lot of blouses. Those Christmas videos with the extended family are pretty embarrassing...

Make a double starter for 2 batches a day apart and forget to split the yeast. Pitched the whole damn thing into the first beer. Whoops...
Wonder if you could transfer some of the first batch into the second batch, style permitting of course. Don't want to transfer a dark stout into an IPA.

Wonder if you could transfer some of the first batch into the second batch, style permitting of course. Don't want to transfer a dark stout into an IPA.
Brewed a Kolsch yesterday and doing an Altbier today. Good thing I harvested about 100 bil cells the day before for a future starter. BUT, I really wanted to pitch half the starter!! And not have to reorder another pack for the future. Oh well.

Or make a vitality starter ASAP.
Let it stir while you're brewing/chilling, give it 4-8 hours. Then take a few ounces off for keeps, pitch the rest. You only need a few billion cells to propagate from, again.
Thought about it, but too much work lol. Thanks for the idea though. Currently done mashing.

The Kolsch from yesterday is going bananas!

When changing up your process by suddenly deciding to underlet the mash in your BIAB kettle, DON'T forget that your HLT has been sitting idle for a few months. Sticky mess on the bottom not discovered until lid was off and water was running in. No biggie, stop the pump and scrub it out. Start water again, then try to figure out what the heck is coming out of the valve. Large green mold blob, that's what. After frantic search to find the brush that fits in the valve, scrubbing it out with hot hot hot water and rinsing several times, finally good to go. Added 30 minutes to what should have been a quick brewday. Yah, don't do that.

When changing up your process by suddenly deciding to underlet the mash in your BIAB kettle, DON'T forget that your HLT has been sitting idle for a few months. Sticky mess on the bottom not discovered until lid was off and water was running in. No biggie, stop the pump and scrub it out. Start water again, then try to figure out what the heck is coming out of the valve. Large green mold blob, that's what. After frantic search to find the brush that fits in the valve, scrubbing it out with hot hot hot water and rinsing several times, finally good to go. Added 30 minutes to what should have been a quick brewday. Yah, don't do that.
:barf:

Why would an HLT have sticky mess on the bottom? It's only meant to heat water, no?
Hmm. Good question. Dunno where it came from, unless I dropped a hose in there when I was chilling. The mold was from when I used the HLT as a vessel to hold 1st runnings for an experiment a few months ago, and got lazy with cleaning. Valves are staying open from now on when not in use.

Valves are staying open from now on when not in use.
Good idea!
Leaving it open at 45° is even better, it keeps the back chamber (behind the ball) open enough to dry out too.
And flush/backflush at around that angle while moving the handle back and forth somewhat when cleaning it.

The mold was from when I used the HLT as a vessel to hold 1st runnings for an experiment a few months ago, and got lazy with cleaning.
Ouch!
Don't ask about that fermenter bucket I didn't clean for several months after racking the beer out. I would have taken mold over what was in there... :barf::barf:

Don't-do-that!

Bit of backstory; I have a 12g aluminum kettle that got 'retired' as the BK last year when I got my new shiny SS 15g kettle. Used the 12g last week for a 2.5g BIAB with the new grain basket I got from allmazmoneyzgone. And since I've had some issues with crap growing in my valves, left the valve open to air dry and thus avoid such nasties growing in it.

Fast forward to yesterday. I've been using the 12g kettle since it was retired to hold the plate chiller, and drain the cleaning water from the BK after brewday. Used it yesterday the same way. Did I check that the valve was closed? *crickets*

5 gallons of hot dirty water mopped up later, no I did not. Don't do that. Although the garage floor is now nice and clean. So, maybe, DO do that.

Back