Critique my Vanilla Milk Stout recipe please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alibremo

Reaction score
Type: All Grain
IBU : 25 (Tinseth)
Color : 64 EBC
Carbonation : 2 CO2-vol
Pre-Boil Gravity : 1.036
Original Gravity : 1.045
Final Gravity : 1.012

Grainfather Batch Size : 23 L
Boil Time : 60 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72%
Mash Efficiency : 75.1%

Fermentables (4.47 kg)
2.42 kg - Pale Ale - DE 3.9 EBC (54.1%)
320 g - Brown Malt - UK 128 EBC (7.2%)
320 g - Flaked Oats - US 2 EBC (7.2%)
310 g - Lactose - Milk Sugar - US 2 EBC (6.9%) - last 10 minutes of boil
220 g - CaraAroma - DE 255 EBC (4.9%)
220 g - CaraMunich III - DE 112 EBC (4.9%)
220 g - Carafa Special I (Weyermann) 670 EBC (4.8%)
220 g - Carafa Special III (Weyermann) 1005 EBC (4.9%)
220 g - Pale Wheat - DE 3.9 EBC (4.9%)

Hops (17.6 g)
60 min - 10.4 g - Nugget - 13% (16 IBU)
30 min - 7.2 g - Sorachi Ace - 13% (9 IBU)

Miscellaneous Secondary
2 items x Vannila Beans soaked in rum

Yeast
1tspn - Omega Voss Kveik

Mash Profile
65 °C - 75 min - Mash In
75 °C - 10 min - Mash Out

Fermentation Profile
Voss Kveik 30 °C - 7 days - Primary

Just wonder about using the sorachi ace. I use it in a lemon lime hefe because of its lemony quality, not sure how it would play out in a vanilla stout.

That's a big grain bill. I'm with you up to all the cara malts. From there down I would skip. And I have to agree about the sorachi ace hops. Great hops... maybe the wrong style to use them in.

Just wonder about using the sorachi ace. I use it in a lemon lime hefe because of its lemony quality, not sure how it would play out in a vanilla stout.

I included it because i was reading reviews of stouts that use as having a hint of a berry like flavour. I added the vanilla after the fact so yes indeed perhaps need to now change it. What hop would you suggest?

That's a big grain bill. I'm with you up to all the cara malts. From there down I would skip. And I have to agree about the sorachi ace hops. Great hops... maybe the wrong style to use them in.

Do you mean you would replace those cara malts with something else to get the dark colour or drop them entirely? I'm using them to get the colour as well as adding their respective flavour profiles instead of using roasted barley.

Ok i've taken note of above and re-formulated.

ABV - 4.2%

All Grain
Grainfather
72% efficiency
Batch Volume: 23 L
Boil Time: 60 min
Original Gravity: 1.044
Final Gravity: 1.012
IBU (Tinseth): 24
Color: 62 EBC

Mash
Mash In — 65 °C — 75 min
Mash Out — 75 °C — 10 min

Malts (4.14 kg)
2.92 kg (64.6%) — Pale Ale - DE — Grain — 3.9 EBC
610 g (13.5%) — Briess Barley, Flaked — Grain — 3.3 EBC
250 g (5.5%) — BestMalz Roasted Barley — Grain — 1300 EBC
180 g (4%) — Carafa Special I (Weyermann) — Grain — 670 EBC
180 g (4%) — Thomas Fawcett Crystal Wheat Malt — Grain — 124 EBC

Other (380 g)
380 g (8.4%) — Lactose - Milk Sugar - US — Sugar — 2 EBC

Hops (20.2 g)
13 g (21 IBU) — Nugget 13% — Boil — 60 min
7.2 g (4 IBU) — Willamette 5.5% — Boil — 30 min

Miscs
2 items — Vannila Beans soaked in rum — Secondary

Yeast
10 ml — Norwegian Farmhouse Kveik #1 Sigmund Gjernes, Voss

Fermentation
Primary — 30 °C — 7 days

Carbonation: 2.0 CO2-vol

I included it because i was reading reviews of stouts that use as having a hint of a berry like flavour. I added the vanilla after the fact so yes indeed perhaps need to now change it. What hop would you suggest?

In my chocolate stout I use magnum at 60min and 30min because it has a "clean" flavor profile and I want the roasty, coffee, chocolaty flavors to come through more so than the hops. But a berry/fruity flavor may work with vanilla, I think your choice of Williamette would work better than sorachi ace for that. I recently used some Belma in a strawberry-rhubarb wheat because of it's strawberry characteristics, but the profile also mentions orange. That may be interesting with the vanilla (creamsicle?).

Not sure on the measurements of grams to oz/lbs but 5 % seems like a lot to me . I checked my notes from my stout and I'm using 3% but an extra 2% may not even make that much of a difference. I would bump the beans up to 4 , but that's me. You have to brew what you like . I used 2 beans before then eventually went to 4 because 2 didnt stick out.

Not sure on the measurements of grams to oz/lbs but 5 % seems like a lot to me . I checked my notes from my stout and I'm using 3% but an extra 2% may not even make that much of a difference. I would bump the beans up to 4 , but that's me. You have to brew what you like . I used 2 beans before then eventually went to 4 because 2 didnt stick out.

You mean 5% roasted barley?

In my chocolate stout I use magnum at 60min and 30min because it has a "clean" flavor profile and I want the roasty, coffee, chocolaty flavors to come through more so than the hops. But a berry/fruity flavor may work with vanilla, I think your choice of Williamette would work better than sorachi ace for that. I recently used some Belma in a strawberry-rhubarb wheat because of it's strawberry characteristics, but the profile also mentions orange. That may be interesting with the vanilla (creamsicle?).

The Belma sounds very interesting!! I think I'll go with what i deem to be the safer option in the Willamette especially with orange already coming from the Voss Kveik; but now you have me thinking about Belma for another recipe - I'd not come across it before.

I brewed a really nice milk Stout recently.

https://beersmithrecipes.com/viewrecipe/1897924/fybs-milk-stout

Not my recipe but I tasted it before brewing, liked it, brewed some for myself. Smooth, easy drinking, chocolatey, roasty, definitely sweet but tasty. Would probably be good with vanilla. I've had success with 2 beans in a 5 gallon batch and would be hesitant about adding 4. Especially in a smallish beer (I like RIS).

Take a look at the recipe I shared and compare. I'm not experienced enough to critique yours but I say push the boundaries if you feel like it. I never pay too much attention to rules on percentages in grain bills. Some times I have success going against the grain, sometimes I don't. You'll never know if you never try though.

Having never used sorachi, how much of the lemon comes through as a 30 min addition? Would have assumed that it would be a late addition or even a dry-hop to gain that profile.

Just as an opinion, I like lemon sorbet and vanilla icecream. I also like lemon curd on a classic cheesecake. I don't doubt that these may play well with your vanilla stout, but the challenge may be in the hop timing.

Having never used sorachi, how much of the lemon comes through as a 30 min addition? Would have assumed that it would be a late addition or even a dry-hop to gain that profile.

Just as an opinion, I like lemon sorbet and vanilla icecream. I also like lemon curd on a classic cheesecake. I don't doubt that these may play well with your vanilla stout, but the challenge may be in the hop timing.

BrewDog uses Sorachi at 30minutes in their Jet Black Heart oat milk stout and say they use it to get a berry like flavour.

I brewed a really nice milk Stout recently.

https://beersmithrecipes.com/viewrecipe/1897924/fybs-milk-stout

Not my recipe but I tasted it before brewing, liked it, brewed some for myself. Smooth, easy drinking, chocolatey, roasty, definitely sweet but tasty. Would probably be good with vanilla. I've had success with 2 beans in a 5 gallon batch and would be hesitant about adding 4. Especially in a smallish beer (I like RIS).

Take a look at the recipe I shared and compare. I'm not experienced enough to critique yours but I say push the boundaries if you feel like it. I never pay too much attention to rules on percentages in grain bills. Some times I have success going against the grain, sometimes I don't. You'll never know if you never try though.

Thanks for this - i had originally put carafa speciall III instead of roasted barley because i didnt want the harsher flavour.... seeing this recipe makes me think i should stick to my original guns!!

Do you mean you would replace those cara malts with something else to get the dark colour or drop them entirely? I'm using them to get the colour as well as adding their respective flavour profiles instead of using roasted barley.

I don't use any cara malts at all. For color I use chocolate malt or even a dash of black. I don't have any of my recipes in front of me but off the top of my head it's basically pale malt, brown malt, roasted barley... maybe some crystal 60 and a bit of chocolate and maybe black malt. I keep the hops all British with Fuggle and EKG.

Latest posts

Back