Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jalamson

Reaction score
As i anxiously await the arrival of my new Spike CF10 (TOMORROW!) - I'm wondering about cleaning and sanitizing before my first use.

In all the excitement of the conical, temp control and other bells and whistles, I neglected to get a CIP ball. I don't want to let this thing sit idle any longer than it has to, so I want to get a beer in it ASAP! I'm wondering what I can do to sanitize while I wait for the CIP to get here...

I read Spike does not suggest passivating, will it be enough to just soak the vales in a PBW solution and then fill the fermenter with PBW solution and rinse? I know it's not the most efficient, but I'm just looking for a temporary work around.

Thanks!

RDWHAHB. your cf10 will come with instructions for cleaning before first use.
Clean it first with dish detergent then clean with pbw, no need to fill it all the way with cleaner, do not use an abrasive pad or metal scrubber.
I do not have(yet) a cip ball, I use starsan in a hand pump garden sprayer for the bulk of it, then use a diaphragm pump to circulate out of the dump valve and thru sample port and racking valve.

Back