Giving up on my fancy conical...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've looked at the conicals, and while I like the idea of the ease of dumping yeast/trub, they just don't fit in my system. My ferment fridge is an old Samsung side-by-side (don't use the freezer side for anything), and if I went to conicals, I could only ferment one batch at a time. With fermonsters I can fit two. And they are just easier to clean; take off the lid, fill with warm water, and use a microfiber towel to get the gunk out. I can fit my arm all the way to the shoulder in those things. I recently got a pressure-transfer setup for them, and I will never go back to either using an autosiphon or stuffing the tubing into the spigot; it's just too easy, and low oxygen, and CLEAN.

I would love to have a conical. It would be great to harvest yeast and dump trub/hops but... Lifting one in and out of a fridge/freezer is not appealing to me. I ferment in my garage that gets over 100 degrees in the summer (98 today) and close to freezing in the winter. Would need a glycol chiller and a heat source...

I've been fermenting in a Fermonster in a chest freezer. Works great. Do pressure transfers when kegging. Only time I have to open it is for dry hopping. To dry hop I loosen the lid then connect CO2 at ~5 psi. Let it flow for a few then open quickly and dump hops in. Put the lid back on half way, let CO2 flow for a few more seconds then disconnect the gas and tighten the lid. For cold crashing I hook up CO2 via a low pressure propane regulator. Works great - biggest problem can be loosening the lid. Only real downside is that I can only ferment one batch at time if I want different temp/fermentation profiles.

After weighing the cost/benefit of a conical (plus glycol, plus heat), I've been looking for 2 wine/beverage fridges that will fit a 7 gal Fermonster so I can have more than one batch going at a time. Hoping I can find a pair that will fit in the same space as my chest freezer for less than the price of a conical..

:mug:

I've had a conical for years, but I certainly understand the desire for returning to simplicity. To that end, I got rid of my 3v E-Herms. I put a heating element in the conical so I can mash, boil, ferment, and use it as a keg washer. Only downside is I can only make ~15 gallons (of strong beer) at a time instead of ~23. It's worth it tho. So much easier. Good casters for the fermenter are a must.

I think the fermzilla all-rounder is the best bang for your buck, and best option for sub-$thousands home brewing. Dead simple but pressure-capable. And the light weight is great not just for moving but especially for cleaning (wipe down inside with paper towels and then 5 gallons of PET-safe cleaner with lid on, then flip upside down (!) to clean the top side - you can even just pick up and shake like crazy with cleaner inside).

I agree it has a slightly wider footprint than a fermonster, but it has way better pressure rating (want to cold crash? Spund to 7 psi and no suck back).

Plus, I love to watch the fermentation playing out. For me, that's a fun part of the process.

I also highly recommend these for the all-rounder. They slip over the stand and fementer and then the handles fit snug up and over the fermzilla's handles, allowing you to easily carry the fermenter and stand together. ....

Zelerdo 3 Pack Carboy Carrier Carboy Strap, Fits 3 to 6 Gallon Carboys (White Mixed Blue,White Mixed Green,White Mixed Red) Amazon.com: Zelerdo 3 Pack Carboy Carrier Carboy Strap, Fits 3 to 6 Gallon Carboys (White Mixed Blue,White Mixed Green,White Mixed Red): Home & Kitchen

0D637BF6-02D6-486A-9200-7E2254647060.jpeg

Back