Bootleg Biology Chardonnay

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew Hodgson

Reaction score
I picked up Bootleg Biology Chardonnay last fall and am finally getting around to using it soon. I am getting some Savignon Blanc wine juice and going to take a stab at a wine/beer hybrid sour. I wanted to see if anyone has used this yeast for beer or wine and get their thoughts. My first thoughts on this beer are:

50/50 wheat and 2-row (my standard sour bill)
Mash at 152 for 60 minutes (want to leave a bit of residual sweetness to account for wine addition)
Cool and pitch Chardonnay yeast.
+3 days pitch L plantarum.
+ 7 days add 1/2 to 1 gallon of Savignon Blanc juice (inoculated with 1/2 tsp yeast nute) and additional Chardonnay yeast.
Allow 2-3 weeks to ferment out.

I am interested in this yeast as the site refers to it fermenting beer and wine. If I am going to explore hybrid beverages I'd prefer the sach I use to be adapt at both mediums. Any insight on this yeast is appreciated.

I just did the same pitch. I'm wondering how long before I should dry hop? And how much?
I plan on adding Hibiscus tea to the keg as well.

Well I pitched the yeast into 6 gallons of South African wine juice and put it in the basement for a nice long ferment.

Checked on it yesterday bubbling away, faint smell of banana on the nose which I (surprisingly) enjoy. Once it has another while to ferment out I will start to think about blending it into beers.

Latest posts

Back