Massachusetts 11th Annual Masstoberfest 9/16/17

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulthenurse

Fecal Transplant Super Donor
Reaction score
Down by the rivah, Down by the banks of the Rivah
Hey Kids,
So its that time again, time for the planning, the BS-ing and the breathless anticipation that leads up to Masstoberfest. Saturday, September 16, 2017 is the big day. It was 11 years ago when three guys came over to my house to learn how to do an all grain brew. It was a freezing ass cold day but we brewed, we laughed, we ate, and we had a blast. So we decided to do it again the following year. And lo, unto them was born a tradition.

Here’s the drill… Gather up your brew rig, as simple or complex as it is. We have everything from BIAB zealots to multi-vessel HERMS rigs with flux capacitors set to deliver 1.21 gigawats of juice. Smurf and PTO have brewed Steinbeers for years, I’m hoping Yeager steps up and takes over for the late PTO and the tradition continues. One year Dakota set a world record for an all grain brew in under 2 hours, all while wearing a tuxedo enroute the ballet.

I’m cooking pork butts, briskets and turkeys in the smoker and there will be pizzas from that beautiful hunk of masonry by the pond. Bringing some of your beer to share is the norm, I’ll have two or three cornies, with room on the jockey box for more.

And of course, there is the most covetted prize in Home brewing, The Masstoberfest Cup, awarded to a brewer who best demonstrates the spirit of Masstoberfest. (In other words, manages to not knock over somebody else’s Mash Tun and doesn’t boil over.) Previous winners include Mort, the_bird, Melana, DaddyMem and our very own adopted Masshole, Yooper.

OK, so let the lying, the ball busting and the bullsh!tting commence.

giphy.gif

Since I"m not coming this year, you are guaranteed to have gorgeous sunshine and warm weather without heavy winds.

You are also guaranteed to have raw burnt pizza, good butt, and great beer.

I will need to follow the event on Facebook, and so will Card Bob.

I'm modifying the Double D (Damned Drinkable) IPA recipe. It's a recipe that Steve Andberg developed and is pretty much always on tap at the Witches Brew. It grew out of his Crispy and Extra Crispy recipes. I've got his blessing to go for a Triple D (Double Double D.) I added crystal 40, some extra biscuit, some carapils and more base fermentables and monkeyed around a bit with the hop schedule. Mashing in now. Debuting at MTF.

Oh we're back to that again, you're not coming? Ya right.

Card Bob said he'd come, but only if the pizza was better than last year.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I will definitely be bummed out that I"m not coming. I told you last year that I was going to Italy on September 18. Turns out I'm not going to Italy, either, but that was a damned good excuse you must admit!

Isn't the definition of insanity doing something over and over again that you know is a bad idea and expecting different results?

Maybe I'm growing?

Fine, I'll just go hang out with Cape. God knows he won't be at this 'event'...

Maybe I'll even sit on your dunce stool at the Bog.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I will definitely be bummed out that I"m not coming. I told you last year that I was going to Italy on September 18. Turns out I'm not going to Italy, either, but that was a damned good excuse you must admit!

Apropos of nuttin' my pizza is coming into it's own. I just needed to learn temp regulation on a freaking nuclear reaction.

You will be missed.

Back