The Big Box of Yum

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think that could very easily get out of control, lol. Two people send to the same recipient unknowingly...

I was thinking split it up between coasts and have it like a mystery swap, every sends address into one director and he distributes the addresses accordingly. :drunk:

BTW I am in Raleigh pretty much, like ABeasst.

:)
I say cap it if you have enough people to move it back and forth without someone getting it multiple times.

I don't think it would be too much of a pain to do it...we can cap it at 32 people, after five have received, I'll open it up for five more members. I'll also revise the rules a tad bit, too. this will include not shipping back to the same state within two moves. I shipped to NY, NY can't ship back to PA, it has to go to a different state. The only issue there I see is how many top heavy states we have such as PA and CA.

Maybe get a headcount on who would be willing to receive and ship out multiple times like fins said he would. That might make it a little easier, unless every person says they would do it multiple.

If you cap it now, you could treat it similarly to a swap, come up with the order of shipment (maybe keep it secret from everyone else), then send the current holder their target each time.

More work for you, but that way you'd ensure that everyone gets a turn as it makes its journey, and could try to organize it so there's some change in distro between recipients, etc.

I like this idea

Very cool thread and idea. Not sure i can join at the moment and would need some time to think of tasties to send, but if you need another NW'er I can send you my details. Western WA about a half hour east of Tacoma.

Either way, I'll be following all the cool updates.

I'll add you and we will cap it there for now.

I'll cap at 32.
I'm keen on the idea. I'll let Mike send out his box to a person of his choosing, I'll build up a database on how to get this box back and forth in a timely manner in the mean time.

Ok, rules have been updated. Let the mass PM to me begin :D
Don't worry gang, I'm not selling your addresses to the NSA, they already have it anyway.

I took absolutehamm's map idea and went running with it. I've never created a shared google map but I added two layers to a shared map located here:
https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zqPXIwnt6MLI.k2SOK1n4HAvk
I can certainly try to make BeerMeDuffMan the owner, co-owner, editor whatever but I haven't figured it out yet.

I made this map accessible to anyone with a link but there isn't any personal info on here outside what was listed above. If I missed someone or something is wrong, let me know.

Layer 1 is a list of all members in on this BBOY. Layer two, which is indicated by a blue star, shows who has received the BBOY. What I was thinking is we could change the symbol on the list of members to another color indicating that someone received it as well as leaving the second layer. The second layer to me will show a map of where this thing traveled.

I hope I didn't just confuse matters. I figured this gives a neat idea of where this can travel. Also, if you click on the location, the HBT member name appears under the state.
Screen Shot 2014-07-29 at 3.25.32 PM.jpg

I took absolutehamm's map idea and went running with it. I've never created a shared google map but I added two layers to a shared map located here:
https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zqPXIwnt6MLI.k2SOK1n4HAvk
I can certainly try to make BeerMeDuffMan the owner, co-owner, editor whatever but I haven't figured it out yet.

I made this map accessible to anyone with a link but there isn't any personal info on here outside what was listed above. If I missed someone or something is wrong, let me know.

Layer 1 is a list of all members in on this BBOY. Layer two, which is indicated by a blue star, shows who has received the BBOY. What I was thinking is we could change the symbol on the list of members to another color indicating that someone received it as well as leaving the second layer. The second layer to me will show a map of where this thing traveled.

I hope I didn't just confuse matters. I figured this gives a neat idea of where this can travel. Also, if you click on the location, the HBT member name appears under the state.
View attachment 214257

I thought about doing it that way, but was too lazy to type everything in. God SoCal is so saturated and close, lol

I think I may have it figured out, all within a two day shipping time frame. With the weather turning cooler I may say 3 days would be fine...by October we can get into 3 days with no problems.

My opinion is whoever has the box picks someone thats within a two day ship and sends it out. We don't need a schedule or a cap, IMHO. Guess its easy for me to say though since I have the BBOY.

At the risk of being flamed, I'll keep it the way I had it. From the sounds of it, this is going to go west pretty quick. I'll be available to give direction or addresses if asked to, but I want to try to keep it as the user gets to pick the recipient. I have it mapped out pretty well I think, and can give direction if somebody isn't sure who to send it to, so let's try it out a bit that way before we go changing it too much. The box has only been to one person so far, and I think we can get this to work.

At the risk of being flamed, I'll keep it the way I had it. From the sounds of it, this is going to go west pretty quick. I'll be available to give direction or addresses if asked to, but I want to try to keep it as the user gets to pick the recipient. I have it mapped out pretty well I think, and can give direction if somebody isn't sure who to send it to, so let's try it out a bit that way before we go changing it too much. The box has only been to one person so far, and I think we can get this to work.

So Mikey is sending it out to the next person, correct?

So Mikey is sending it out to the next person, correct?

Yessir. We will wait a few rounds to see how it plays out before we change the rules entirely. I have faith that the concept will work as intended. He has had it only a week, so there is still time to debate if we want. I think we should let it play out a few rounds.

Yessir. We will wait a few rounds to see how it plays out before we change the rules entirely. I have faith that the concept will work as intended. He has had it only a week, so there is still time to debate if we want. I think we should let it play out a few rounds.

I agree, it should go pretty smoothly with the members we have signed up. I cant wait to get this thing in like 6 months! :cross:

You can use the map I created too. :(

That's for damn sure...

Also, I could see this possibly causing a spike in sales of Randall Jr's or french presses once people have to send it to the next person.

I actually bought two of them as well as two of their IPA glasses. I enjoy the hell out of that contraption!

Math please. 5 bxs?

The original box was big enough for everything but it would of been way to heavy. I took out a 36 pound box and put the other 23 pounds into smaller boxes. I took three smaller boxes and put it into the bigger box.
So yes...total was five boxes :mug:

I agree. His porch needs blown up more than anyone from the emaws that he sends and then BIF on his turn. Good guy.

You guys have high paying jobs. Shipping them Goliaths has got to get pricy.

I agree there, "only" $40 for shipping plus however much it was for the beer, i'd be broke if i didn't have free shipping through my work! :D

I wonder how that bologna sandwich he's always raving about from Tired Hands would freeze...

Back