Yeasty tasting beer - not done bottle conditioning?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayjay

Reaction score
Hi
So this might be a rookie question

My first batch of beer just finished (i think) fermenting last sunday after which i bottled it with sugar for bottle conditioning. The recipe told me to leave beer at room temperature for 2 days and then move to a cooler place. Out of curiosity i tried one of the beers today and it came out tasting yeasty and with low carbonation (no foam when poured). Is this normal in the early progress of bottle conditioning and will it improve during the next week or two?

Futhermore - i moved some of the bottles straight from room temperature to the fridge which i realise might have been a bad move as i reckon the temperature is too cold for the yeast to properly condition the beer right?

so last question - what is the optimal "cool" temperature to leave the bottled beer at when bottle conditioning?

Hope you can help
Cheers :)

It needs to be left at least two weeks it seems. A member of our club said four weeks ideally and at the temp it was fermented at, then I've been advised on here to put it in the fridge a day or so just before drinking it.... Patience seems to be the key, or make more beer so you can stagger the waiting.

Steps to bottle prime an average ABV beer:

1) Carbonate 10-14 days at room temperature, 65-70F, with sugar in the bottle
2) Place in fridge to chill
3) Minimum waiting period before drinking, 24 hours
4) Ideal waiting period before drinking, 7-14 days
5) Best at 3-4 weeks, then quality levels off for the remainder

Carbonating beer only takes about 24 hours at room temp. Getting it to form a nice head....takes longer, much longer. 2 weeks will get you passable beer, 3 or longer makes it better. You will get better heading, longer lasting head if you wait and the beer will taste better too. You didn't mention the kind of beer you made. That makes a difference too. A nice light wheat beer is ready as soon as it will hold a nice head. A stout will take much longer to get smooth. I prefer my stouts after they have been bottled for 6 months and a high gravity stout might be best after a full year.

Alright as i might have suspected my impatience seems to be the main cause

And RM-MN glad you pointed that out - the beer in discussion is a stout so hopefully it will get better with time :)

EDIT: also there seems to be plenty of carbonation but no foam head so hoping that it will appear as well in a couple of weeks

Back