WLP075 Hansen Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spikybits

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
RELEASE THE BEAST! 19 more orders! lets go HBT!

1. WLP075 Hansen Ale Yeast Blend - 19 ORDERS UNTIL WE SHIP

anyone have any recent experience with this one? last out in 2016 so....

now@18. really looking to do it in an IPA, so thats good to hear - have a feeling since this is a blend, might not get several go's at it. Going to mother it and see if I can get a few batches out of it.

Will be my first vault strain so I guess that adds some awe to it.

That's what I do, overbuild my starters and get a number of brews out of it.
I've actually tried to blend this yeast myself twice and while what I did was good, it definitely was not the same so I gave up trying and each time I see it in the vault, I order 2 packs of it.

I bought one on Saturday to bring it down to 16. I usually only buy yeast local but want to try this one. What can i expect when WL releases and ships this? I can't expect much ice/cooling for the $3 shipping charge can I?

Would they consider throwing this in to the large shipment my LHBS gets if i get the owner to OK it?

I bought one on Saturday to bring it down to 16. I usually only buy yeast local but want to try this one. What can i expect when WL releases and ships this? I can't expect much ice/cooling for the $3 shipping charge can I?

Would they consider throwing this in to the large shipment my LHBS gets if i get the owner to OK it?

They usually ship with in a week or two after it's released. Though I've had it take longer.

I only order one at a time as well. It comes in an insulated envelope with a freezer pack. It usually takes a few days to ship to me here in PA. Shipping time is going to depend on how far you are from San Diego, where the lab is.

They will not ship it to your LHBS unless it was ordered by your LHBS. The Yeast Vault is for end users only.

Now their own yeast strain.
Is there anything these kids can't do ??

hanson_3-592.jpg

They usually ship with in a week or two after it's released. Though I've had it take longer.

I only order one at a time as well. It comes in an insulated envelope with a freezer pack. It usually takes a few days to ship to me here in PA. Shipping time is going to depend on how far you are from San Diego, where the lab is.

They will not ship it to your LHBS unless it was ordered by your LHBS. The Yeast Vault is for end users only.

Oh boy, i'm in Florida and now i may be regretting this order. Figuring this thing triggers in a month, then production time, it will be shipping in mid summer temps from Cali to FLA. doubt i'll have any viable cells left......

Oh well, I'll at least feel good knowing i helped the cause of others to get it o_O

I received a vault shipment once before and I'm in Texas. I too was concerned since my yeast was not cool to the touch and it had been pretty warm outside. But the yeast was perfectly healthy! I made a starter, pitched it and it took off great. Made one of the best beers I've brewed with that yeast I found warm in my mailbox.

The stuff is shipped as fresh as it gets. Unless it sits in direct sunlight and bakes at 100 degrees for a couple of days I think your yeast will be fine.

I'd order one more but I already have 2 and I can get about 10 batches out of that. But if it comes down to it, i'll grab one more.
Anyone else?

I've already got 4 that have been on order since 10/2017... :| I'll reach out to a couple of local Home Brew Clubs to see if I can spark any interest.

I've already got 4 that have been on order since 10/2017... :| I'll reach out to a couple of local Home Brew Clubs to see if I can spark any interest.
You'd think 16 would be sold quickly but it's surprising how few people even know about the Vault. And, there are more yeast suppliers for homebrewers than ever before.

I received a vault shipment once before and I'm in Texas. I too was concerned since my yeast was not cool to the touch and it had been pretty warm outside. But the yeast was perfectly healthy! I made a starter, pitched it and it took off great. Made one of the best beers I've brewed with that yeast I found warm in my mailbox.

The stuff is shipped as fresh as it gets. Unless it sits in direct sunlight and bakes at 100 degrees for a couple of days I think your yeast will be fine.
I'm with you. I'm in the burbs of NOLA and it's already in the mid 80's here. I've got them delivered once and the 2 vials (vials at that time) and made a starter with them right away. But now I have them shipped to my office so I can put them in the fridge right away instead of sitting on my porch in the heat making things worse. I think they shipped them mail and got here in 2 days but I hope they don't ship over the weekend!

Just expanded to Facebook and Twitter... Not like I have a huge social following but every bit helps!

Oh well, no movement with only 15 left. This is like watching an iceberg melt! I'd order 2 more if I thought it would help. There's so much interest in Norwegian yeast, I guess very few want this yeast to play with.

Oh well, no movement with only 15 left. This is like watching an iceberg melt! I'd order 2 more if I thought it would help. There's so much interest in Norwegian yeast, I guess very few want this yeast to play with.
I gave you an opportunity to convince me!

I gave you an opportunity to convince me!
Sorry, I missed that!
Spikybits kinda said what it's great for. You may have seen this in the vault:
This is a blend of many IPA strain favorites. It has the attenuation of WLP090 and the character of WLP007. This strain produces dry, hop-forward beer with minor ester production. This blend is a great flocculator.
In the Tasting Room, the strain produced dry attenuation, was hop-forward, with minor ester production, and was a great flocculator, according to White Labs Brewer Joe Kurowski.
There's this:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/white-labs-yeast-vault.565113/page-7#post-8018810
And a friend made a killer NEIPA with some of the yeast I used last time. Everyone's got an opinion, but those who've had my beers with this yeast were all very pleased. YMMV.

well... your black IPA idea has me thinking. I have the grain bill already for my black IPA, so that will probably be the first brew when i get a hold of the vault packet.

I'm always looking for different yeast to try. I guess I'm/we're in the minority here. Do most people just buy what ever yeast is in stock/freshest at the LHBS? It's an honest question. My local shop only carries the basics from White Labs. Any thing else I have to order in. The yeast vault makes perfect sense to me. Maybe that's just me.

Since this is a blend, do you experience any drift or changes through multiple generations when reusing the yeast?

Last time I got this yeast, I over built and used for 6 generations. Since I used it for a number of beer styles, it's hard to tell but I'd say any variations were minor. But I'm no pro, just a guy who loves to play with yeasts.

Back