WLP075 Hansen Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Funny... I got an e-mail saying that my CC expired so they couldn't charge me. I used a virtual card that had a 6 month expiry when I placed the order; on 10/12/2017... :rolleyes:

A heads up if you are concerned about leaving the yeast cooking in the mailbox, the informed delivery program of USPS will notify you on the morning of delivery day when the yeast package will arrive (will be coming from San Diego CA) and you can duck out of work claiming some kind of prostrate related emergency to make sure it doesn't sit in there half a day.

Anyone hear anything yet that these shipped? I've heard nada and I'm getting concerned. It still shows in production. I'm getting a bit impatient after hearing these would go out 2 Monday's in a row but maybe it's already on the way. However, in the past they've sent out an email with the info when shipped.

In the past I've received a USPS Informed Delivery notification when the yeast was shipped. I have not received anything as of yet.

I'm bummed! I'm usually a patient beast but after being told Monday and not hearing anything this week, I'm just not happy. I doubt I'll be buying from the yeast vault anymore. It just takes too long to reach the release amount and too long for production. It wasn't like this for me last time.
And it's only getting hotter. I really thought this was all be done before summer was upon us. If I get 6 packs and they are all ruined due to the heat, I may have to become an a-hole and ask for credit.

Looks like the yeast is on it's way.

You have released the yeast! The has met the minimum number, gone into production, and is now being shipped to you.

Just got my email. I’m excited to get the yeast but can’t say I’m happy with the way this is working out. Late June, shipped on a Thurs/Fri from Cali to Florida. I’m guessing for the 3 bucks paid I’m not guaranteed 2 day delivery either.

Oh well, I have a can of propper starter ready, and will be watching the mailbox with fingers crossed !!

Yep... E-Mail received as well. Just signed up for "Informed Delivery" at USPS.com. Not sure how or if this service will work but guess I'll find out now. Hopefully it will give me at least some insight, we'll see...

I hope it doesn't get stuck over the weekend. I had them ship to my office so it doesn't sit in the sun at home but it's already 95 here and I'm very concerned. If it does get stuck over the weekend, I'm screwed!

I really sound like a whiny b**ch. :)

waiting-on-the-mailman-like.jpg

OK, now I'm pissed! The mail just came and there's NO YEAST! And since I had it sent to my office, which is closed on weekends, no yeast from me. 6 packs of yeast ruined. I'll never do this again any time of the year.
What sense does it make to ship in the middle of the week with no option for extra ice packs and expect these not to sit in the heat during the summer.
Man, I'm so bummed out now I need to cool off before I send a hot email to White Labs. I know they won't see it my way but this is just not right at all.

What sense does it make to ship in the middle of the week

This is my biggest complaint aside from no alternate shipping options. It dosent seem very considerate of the customers.

The USPS informed delivery is pretty cool fwiw. I see the mail being delivered today including the junk-mail; but no yeast... :|

So if it did actually ship on Wednesday, we'll be at ~48 hours by the time my mailman comes today. Our temps have been flirting with 100 with heat index of ~110 so I'm doubtful the ice-packs will have fared very well. Since I know it isnt coming today, I can only hope for tomorrow.

If that doesn't happen it means Monday and ~120 hours for the ice-packs to do any good which is unlikely. So glad I payed $12 for shipping of yeast that may face doom even though I've waited a year and a half for it. I'd have payed 24 bucks in shipping to avoid this. Really does make The Vault seem like a "nice try but no thanks" offering.

I thought I was doing the smart thing to have it shipped to my office but even if it took 3 days, how can that be good on the yeast? Why not offer options for us?
I'm preparing an email before I go tweet crazy on White Labs. I take part of the blame for ordering in the summer but it's on them to ship in the middle of the week AND not offer any upgrade options. Frack me! I know this is a third world problem but c'mon, 3/4 of the country is in summer temp mode so where's the plan for that?

I thought I was doing the smart thing to have it shipped to my office but even if it took 3 days, how can that be good on the yeast? Why not offer options for us?
I'm preparing an email before I go tweet crazy on White Labs. I take part of the blame for ordering in the summer but it's on them to ship in the middle of the week AND not offer any upgrade options. Frack me! I know this is a third world problem but c'mon, 3/4 of the country is in summer temp mode so where's the plan for that?
I recently ordered some of their cider yeast from the vault. When it arrived it was clear it had been sitting in hot Temps for a bit and was warm. When I emailed them about it, they recommended doing a starter to test viability, and if it was in fact dead, they offered to ship more out to replace the order, or refund.

I know it stinks, I'm in the same boat, although I'm shipping to my home address, however, you may at least be able to get them to send more or refund you if the yeast ends up non-viable.

USPS informed Delivery shows no yeast being delivered to me today. Yet at least... Their updates dont officially go out for another hour so I guess it *could* pop on the list. But I'm doubtful.

UPDATE... A new package did pop-up for delivery for me today; coming from San Diego, CA! WOOT!! Sadly I'll be away from the house when the mail will be delivered.

I just signed up for informed delivery to see if I can see anything. I have two packages from San Diego, labels made on 6-17-19 shipped on 6-19-19.
One shows up for delivery today and one on Monday.

Received both vials today, mail came a few hours early. Both a cool 75F, yeast a bit off, color maybe a little greyish brown, not creamy.

Going to make a starter with one and let the other chill. Wondering what others might use as a starting yeast count for a warm mailed vial?

edit: also a got a jury notice today, hope that was the only bad thing in the mailbox.

Last edited:
So much pessimism on this thread now that the yeast everyone was so hyped up about is finally being shipped. Once again, having has been proven to not be so pleasing a thing as wanting. RDWHAHB, if the yeast is dead, request a replacement. It will work out in the end, unlike this climate change thing, where we all die in the most horrible fashion imaginable. At least you didn't get a court summons in the mail today, well, most of us anyway.

RDWHAHB, if the yeast is dead, request a replacement.

Kind of a joker aren't you... Some of us have waited for over a year and a half for this yeast. If is was so easy to get a replacement, we wouldn't have to wait over a year and a half for what we ordered.

Just got the email. Sadly, it's 90 degrees here already but I'm not bitchin'. Can't wait for the shipping notice. Hope it doesn't take the "next few weeks" to go out but I'm ready for it.
Check out www.eastcoastyeast.com

he cultivates a specialty Norwegian yeast that's apparently very clean, ferment temp 90-100 F. I've heard of it finishing a ferment in less than a day.

RELEASE THE BEAST! 19 more orders! lets go HBT!

1. WLP075 Hansen Ale Yeast Blend - 19 ORDERS UNTIL WE SHIP

anyone have any recent experience with this one? last out in 2016 so....
Hansen Ale...am I the only one who immediately had "MMmm Hop , MMM MMm MMM hop" going through their head?

Joker? No, more like the Penguin. I'm pretty sure WL will get you a viable pack of yeast eventually, why fret. Opening the vault in the middle of the summer does sound like a bad idea, I'm tempted to email them and find out who is making these decisions, maybe my last boss finally got re-employed.

My yeast has a sept 14 2019 best by date so it was packaged about a month ago.

The yeast was very compacted, plopped out in a single blob. Starter started last night around midnight looking good 10 hours later, nice layer of foam and plenty of yeast in suspension.

My yeast has a sept 14 2019 best by date so it was packaged about a month ago.

The yeast was very compacted, plopped out in a single blob. Starter started last night around midnight looking good 10 hours later, nice layer of foam and plenty of yeast in suspension.
I think it was only about a month ago that it reached 250 so if that's the case, why did they wait so long to ship it?
You did get yours quick and it's very much cooler where you are.

Temperatures cooling down to 94F around here this week, so great yeast shipping weather. The key is to not let it sit in the mailbox. I think I'm going to invest in a mailbox refrigeration system before ordering any more from the Vault. By the way, I have been tracking the USPS Informed Delivery emails for the last few weeks, very confident it will give me the heads up when the time comes, but I will be out there soon after the white box truck drives off.

Just received both vials this morning. Checked temperature and it was 73 for both. Would it be safe to assume 50% viability to reach target pitch rate? Going to try and brew with them this week

Just received both vials this morning. Checked temperature and it was 73 for both. Would it be safe to assume 50% viability to reach target pitch rate? Going to try and brew with them this week
But how do you know if the temperature wasn't 95 for awhile during the time period of shipping and receiving. Just because it was 73 when you got it doesn't mean much. I'm sure the ice pack was useless after 18 hours or so.

But how do you know if the temperature wasn't 95 for awhile during the time period of shipping and receiving. Just because it was 73 when you got it doesn't mean much. I'm sure the ice pack was useless after 18 hours or so.

Exactly. I don’t know what the temperatures were during transit. I was just reporting on the temp upon receiving. Just looking for a reasonable starting viability to start building up without access to lab equipment. I could assume way less than 50 if I see activity in the starter and just hope I’m not over pitching by a lot

Latest posts

Back