Who is brewing on Long Island?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That coconut looking good....You got me thinking I should tweak my next Vanilla Porter recipe.
It’s a quick turnaround brew. I serve at 3 weeks. Coconut covers any green flavors if they are there. Tastes like an almond joy. I get the coconut from Whole Foods it’s 3 bucks for a bag pre toasted

It’s a quick turnaround brew. I serve at 3 weeks. Coconut covers any green flavors if they are there. Tastes like an almond joy. I get the coconut from Whole Foods it’s 3 bucks for a bag pre toasted

How many pounds of toasted coconut do you add in fermenter for a 5 gallon batch?

I do 14 oz in fermenter and 7 oz in keg. The bags are 7 oz each. Doesn't seem like much but it has a plenty coconut flavor. Next time I’ll throw all 3 in fermenter throw on spunding valve. Got all rounder still figuring it out
B4735081-69C6-472A-A4A1-545EC4EF8ECA.jpeg

Happy New Years LI brewers. So I decided this year I’m gonna do ten gallon batches. First brew day was flawless maybe an extra hour or so between boiling and chilling. Transferred 12 gallons to the fermenter. Went to pick up to put in chamber.... yea that fermenter will be staying where it is for this batch. Anyway 🍻 everyone

Happy New Years LI brewers. So I decided this year I’m gonna do ten gallon batches. First brew day was flawless maybe an extra hour or so between boiling and chilling. Transferred 12 gallons to the fermenter. Went to pick up to put in chamber.... yea that fermenter will be staying where it is for this batch. Anyway 🍻 everyone
Happy New Year, and happy weekend. I’m planning to brew a milk stout sometime this weekend.

Haha yep I moved 10 or so gallons in a plastic Speidel fermentor once. Never again! I now pump into the fermentor and pressure transfer out of it. Only moves when it is empty...

Happy New Year!

Happy New Year!
I think ten gallon batches are why I bought a pump! I also bought longer legs for my burner, so that I could spigot drain into bucket fermenters. I put the cooler mash tun on sawhorses, pump strike water up from the kettle, gravity drains the wort back for the boil and into the fermenters. Even so I'm getting tired (and sore) picking up the buckets to put in the ferm chamber. My last batch was a 7 gallon boil split into two buckets to ferment with different yeasts at different temps.

i'm trying to make out the middle tap? maybe it's just morning double vision, but does it say "colon but pull me"? was that a dumper, lol

Columbus Pale Ale is the middle tap. Made using Columbus hops grown in my backyard this past Spring/Summer. I don't have a cool commercial tap for the Columbus Pale Ale, hence, the generic handwritten tap.

Yeah. Not a fan. The simplified logos like the one for hoptical isn’t so bad, but I really just don’t get the dash thing. What’s that supposed to mean or be? The shoreline? Making sure people know it’s two words? The wall they hit when trying to think of something better?

image.jpg

looking at the old logo, I noticed the buoy is angled very similarly to the new slash....did they just simplify it in an incredibly dumb way?

(Also shown my marzen/octoberfest)

Blueberry ::shudders::

Old Howling Bastard
Rastafarye
Original Hoptical Illusion (it’s still good)
Cherry Imperial Stout
Oatmeal Stout

My tops for the OG BP

Not sure how the new brewery has changed things but I was under the impression the old river ave brewery(post acquisition) was mostly doing kegs for local distro and the occasional canning, like hazy bastard. Whereas the bottle production was shifted to the larger AB breweries. That’s a total guess and possibly biased but I always thought the bottles lacked significantly to on tap. Not to mention there was a massive warehouse behind the parking lot fuuullll of kegs (presumably empty) during at least one cask fest.

I loved just over the tracks from that brewery but didn’t go nearly enough for being a 30s walk.

I like the feel of the newer place even though it’s less homey, And the beer is fine but pretty disappointed with the age of the cans and bottles. Ordered takeout beer early in the pandemic and got some cans that were like 5 months old...pretty disappointing.

The free homebrew swag bag wasn’t bad tho, pounds of Munich and honey malt plus several ounces of hops

River Ave is now a small distillery, they MAY have kept some of their storage around the property though.

The new location has a fairly large production facility, they can and keg. Not sure if they bottle or not, but I’ll find out if you’d like.

if anybody local needs bottles I have a few cases I haven't used in a while if you want them.

Also if anybody local uses pin lock kegs and you want a few extra posts....let me know as I have - 2 gas and 2 liquid and use ball locks so don't need them.

River Ave is now a small distillery, they MAY have kept some of their storage around the property though.

The new location has a fairly large production facility, they can and keg. Not sure if they bottle or not, but I’ll find out if you’d like.
When I took a tour they were running bottles on the line in the new location.
C9FAAC3D-EEFB-4BB3-902E-E1A9F592617B.jpeg

Collectors items;)

We visited Tradewinds in Riverhead yesterday. Tried Peconic County first, but there was a 30 minute wait to sit, then a long line for beer. No thank you. Moved over to Tradewinds, got a little table between fermenters. The beer line up was very good, we had food delivered from Digger's next door. We really enjoyed it.

We visited Tradewinds in Riverhead yesterday. Tried Peconic County first, but there was a 30 minute wait to sit, then a long line for beer. No thank you. Moved over to Tradewinds, got a little table between fermenters. The beer line up was very good, we had food delivered from Digger's next door. We really enjoyed it.

Can’t believe how busy peconic seems based on Instagram. That said it bothers me a little bit they haven’t posted much on their various beers. I eventually found they had them all on their site but you’d think they’d be a little more pumped about their beers than the giant pretzels. Still looking forward to trying it, in laws live there but last couple weekends lined up with an other half delivery so we had those.

What did you think about crooked ladder before? It’s the same guy he just went and worked for greenport for a year to learn. I was not a fan of crooked ladder at all.

I thought Crooked Ladder improved over time. We didn't go there often, and it's been a while, so I don't have a remember anything specific. I do like Greenport.
If anyone is a fan of pumpkin spice beer, they are selling their remaining four packs at half price, two for one.

I thought Crooked Ladder improved over time. We didn't go there often, and it's been a while, so I don't have a remember anything specific. I do like Greenport.
If anyone is a fan of pumpkin spice beer, they are selling their remaining four packs at half price, two for one.

LOL right because it is February and almost time to put the 2021 pumpkin spice beer in the shelf...

Nice little write up on Twin Fork. I still haven’t been to Peconic yet but hope to make it during happy hour on a weekday. Twin Fork Beer Co. Serves Pitch-Perfect Brews in Riverhead

No idea they had opened a brick and mortar, thats good info. I've only had chromatic, which alright, nothing ground breaking. but still worth checking out.

I went to PCB the other weekend to grab some crowlers. The spot is phenomenal, tons of windows with bright light and the deck on the river is super neat. Tap room experience is probably the best of the breweries in Riverhead. Jamesport, I suppose is up there, cause it is all outside, though not quite in downtown. I was just in and out to get beers, as I'm not really one for sitting a table without a mask, but I'd probably go there once we are over all this.

I had the dream girl IPA and the Hither Pils. They don't seem like a brewery that is going to change their offerings on a regular basis (again similar to Jamesport). they will have their seasonals, but that seems to be about it. I'd be happy to be wrong about that though.

Dream Girl was more of a pale ale in my mind. Not that it claims to be a west coast IPA anyway, but it had a decent amount of maltiness, probably from a solid amount of caramel. I didnt really pick up on the eldorado or simcoe, just generic, slight fruitiness. Not as malty as rows and hoes (to continue the comparison) but nothing poppy like moustache would put out.

The Hither Pils was a lager, but definitely not crisp or punchy. it was more of a light beer for the sake of being a light beer.

I'd definitely stop down there again to try the double IPA (dis-orient-ed, love the name), and their other offerings.

So anyone brewing anything they more than enjoy lately?
Any new additions to your home brewery you want to share that are working out?
Do you modify our water profile at all? And if so what styles and why do you tweak it and have you seen a benefit?
Curious do you have an abv zone you like you keep things within?
What are your motivations for brewing?
What is the one thing you wish you could improve in your beer?

Back