What's your brewery name?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Befus Brau cuz some of my friends started calling me Befus long ago and I got my love of better beers while serving in Germany back in the day. My favorite was Bavaria Brau from Aschaffenberg (defunct :() and I thought why not?

Why do people have a need to name their "brewery"? I don't own a brewery, so I don't have a name. I brew beer at home, and give it to friends, but don't name my "brewery" or my beers. I just tell folks "I made a dunkelweizen, try some and see if you like it"
If I was a commercial brewery I would have a use and a need for a name, but until then, why bother naming my fictitious brewery?
Not trying to be a dick, I'd like to hear people's motivations for this, I just don't see why.

pdxal said:
Why do people have a need to name their "brewery"? I don't own a brewery, so I don't have a name. I brew beer at home, and give it to friends, but don't name my "brewery" or my beers. I just tell folks "I made a dunkelweizen, try some and see if you like it"

This.

If I was a commercial brewery I would have a use and a need for a name, but until then, why bother naming my fictitious brewery?
Not trying to be a dick, I'd like to hear people's motivations for this, I just don't see why.

My wife likes artsy stuff, so I was thinking about giving her a brewery name and a beer name for one of my batches so she could make a label. She would enjoy it and feel like she was helping out in some way.

pdxal said:

C'mon dude, if you have to ask...

Because instead of IPA or Dunkelweizen. You get HamerTimeWeizen from Funky Cold Medina BrewHaus. Don't take the name just thought of it :)

well, trick or treat, naysayers. I like to call my place Poverty Knob Brewing. the reason: my granny & grandpa used to brew their own. I think my grandpa started when he was a teenager. they had a punishment paddle hanging in their kitchen with "Poverty Knob" engraved deep and a big nail bent over the end. it's been a sought after prize of 6 out of their 7 boys since the '60s. sure, it may be silly & downright ridiculous to some of you, but I like it. if you don't like it & want to belittle the very notion, I'll go cook up some grits for you to kiss.

Big Willy Brewing.

I run a theatre that does Shakespeare all the time. All of my beers are Shakespeare-themed, ie A Midsummer Night's Cream Ale, Brevity (the Soul of Wit).

And naming? Really? Just give me an excuse to nerd out and revert to age 12 and come up with cool names for my creations. Just put a mug of homebrew in my hand first...

Mine is Sandlot Brewing (A home run in every bottle). After my fav movie.

image-1673414010.jpg

Because it looks cool on the labels. And give it a little bit of originality.

Lürchenbeir Brauer

The reasoning is my ancestry. We Lerch's started in Germany(obviously and came over to the US in the 1800s(some later, some still there). When we arrived at Ellis Island, our names were changed to Lerch, probably because the people that checked us in as immigrants changed it. Seeing as my ancestry has some Jewish lineage, I thought I'd restore the family name.

My father and uncle started brewing beer together in the late 70's when it became legal again. This last year I started brewing with my old man, so it just feels like a family tradition passed down. I'm very proud to feel as passionate about brewing as my father and uncle did. So the name just sort of made sense to me. Though I obviously don't limit my brews to German beers, I just like the sound of it.

Beifall!
:mug:

Southern Revival Brewing. Its partially because my friends kept bugging me for a name. My wife's cousin (and brewing assistant) was helping with an extract batch and declared we had to "Baptize the flavor sock," and the name was born. Also its fun to make fun of the religious prohibitionists here in Alabama. My house beer is called, "This is My Covered Dish" cream ale.

Mine is Happy Dog Brewing. It is for two related reasons. One is my brew buddy Nash, the guy in my avatar. The other is that Nash is our first dog, we have two now, and we know he won't be around forever. He is the perfect dog though, really my best friend. I figured naming "the brewery" after him was a way to honor and remember him after he is gone.

It's called having an imagination. Check it out sometime, you might enjoy it.

pdxal said:

You get to make up clever, punny, and dirty names for your beer, you can make cool labels, custom caps, and carriers. You can make a keezer in a piano.
None of this is necessary, but then it's usually not necessary to make your own beer. It's just something fun to think about and be creative with :)

pdxal said:

Not trying to be a dick............".Necessary? Is it necessary to drink my own urine? No! But I do it anyway because its sterile and I like the taste"
Patches O'Houlihan

Triple B brewery -cause my favorite things are beer, boobs, and bikes!

Mine is Confederate Dragon Brewing.

The gives a nod to both my Southern heritage and the fact that I'm a huge nerd (I still run a D&D website, and I turn 37 in a little over a week).

All of my beers have labels that feature a red dragon dressed in a gray Confederate soldier's uniform.

homebrewdad said:
Mine is Confederate Dragon Brewing.

The gives a nod to both my Southern heritage and the fact that I'm a huge nerd (I still run a D&D website, and I turn 37 in a little over a week).

All of my beers have labels that feature a red dragon dressed in a gray Confederate soldier's uniform.

+1 Mug of Healing. Got to keep those hit points in check. You are no nerd, you are The Dungeon Master!

Edit: What's the website?

OK folks, complete blast reading all these names and reasonings why folks name their breweries. Keep 'em coming!

Sloppy Griffin Brewing Company

The Griffin part represents my family's crest and the sloppy kind of gives the sense of non professional, do it yourself homebrewing.

Corcoran Brew Works. My grandfather Thomas Corcoran, who I never knew, was an Irish immigrant who homebrewed. My mother was the youngest of his eight children and told me there was always a bubbling bucket in the basement. I think that's pretty cool, so I honor him this way.

Bierded Brothers Brewing
We have beards and our buddy owns a clothing company named Bierd Inc. Seemed appropriate.

Imperial Brewing. The city I live in, Sugar Land, originally came about as a 'factory town' built around the Imperial Sugar factory in the early 1900s. A nod to the history and I like the sound of it.

Uphill Brewing. My buddy and I both live on top of big hills in upstate New York. Anywhere we have to go for ingredients, or supplies is up and down lots of hills. Seemed natural.

Also, with the challenges of life and family, having something that uses creativity and imagination like brewing and labeling, offers some outlet for fun. I know I'll never open a brewery, but in my house, I'm the head brewer. Ha ha

Three Bald Guys Brewery. Yep, I'm bald and my two brewing friends are thin in the hair department also.

Daphne Brewery.

My family is in possession of one of the last virgin prairies in Texas (Daphne Prairie), and I've spent a good deal of time out there hunting and working the land.

pdxal said:

It's just a fun thing to discuss when you are sitting around drinking your beer. You don't have to be a hater.

Three Arrows Brewing Co.

Based on a 1930s symbol used by the first movements actively resisting the rise of the Nazis, now recognized worldwide as a symbol of street-based antifascism.

I think I'm gonna go with Dented Kettle Brewery. Just got my starter kit and they sent me a dented kettle.

BOHICA brewery.

Bend Over Here It Comes Again, common acronym in the military. After a long day of recourse and correction I enjoy sitting in the brewery (back bedroom in my house dedicated to our beloved craft) and letting the beer sort out the priorities of the days success or lack there of.

Cats Sass Brewing Company.

SWMBO and I have 4 cats, and every time I go to pet one that's what I end up seeing.
Our motto: "Drinkin' our brew will get you higher than a cats ...huh you know".

Back