What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Crashed the spunding Red Rye yesterday, so today, put the carbonation lid on the keg to see if it's ready in a day. I hope this device works as advertised.

Also dumped out the swell water from the new barrel and poured in about 500ml of cognac to season it; I will consider it my "daily exercise" to pick it up and slosh it every hour or so ;). It's a little bit heavier than a 16oz. curl, but I'm sure I can handle it. Hoping to get the wine started this weekend for the Christmas Port.
I bought 2 carbonation lids, el cheapo from Wal-Mart, $35 one from Amazon...el cheapo working fine on my 3 gallon keg, more expensive one from Amazon blows😡. Rubber seal is fine, I've lubed it and repositioned and it just won't work. Leaks like a Soviet shower. Now gotta slow carb it for several days.

Checked the Red Rye after one day with the Keg Carb Lid, and WOW! Unfortunately, that means I can't get any other beers into kegs until tomorrow, because I keep sampling from the Rye and marveling at how perfect it is.

My life is forever changed.

Brewed another batch of what we're now calling the house lager; except this time fermenting at 55 instead of my usual 62-64. Lallemand Diamond lager yeast did a great job fermenting warm, now to see how it does cool. Pitched at 10am, and now at 7pm a nice fluffy krausen going on. Also ordered some chalk pens for the blackboard paint on the freezer door of the kegerator; gonna get all artsy fartsy tomorrow with those. The pens I'm getting will also write on glass, so there's my new yeast labelling system too.

My 1925 AK birthday recipe (thanks to Ron Paittinson, who had to go back that far on my birthdate to find a flavorful yet low ABV recipe in his database) is ready to spund in the keg as soon as I kick one. My kidlet got me this recipe a few years ago, and it has PA (1054), XK (1040) and AK (1032) partigyles. This year I went for the PA version.

I have too many English yeasts. Winnowing out the herd. Like to get down to just 4 or 5 (my English flock includes Fullers, WLP85, West Yorkshire, London ESB, S-04, Adnans, Whitbread slp017, Burton, WLP85, WLP026 Premium.) For example, I will use Nottingham going forward to substitute for Irish ale yeast because they are really close to my palate. Just pitched a West Yorkshire vs Adnan's split batch yeast off 10 minutes ago.

I don't like London III (dull and lifeless), Windsor (too fruity), Yorkshire Squares (beyond my brewing ability and comes off most of the time like a Saison)

My 1925 AK birthday recipe (thanks to Ron Paittinson, who had to go back that far on my birthdate to find a flavorful yet low ABV recipe in his database) is ready to spund in the keg as soon as I kick one. My kidlet got me this recipe a few years ago, and it has PA (1054), XK (1040) and AK (1032) partigyles. This year I went for the PA version.

I have too many English yeasts. Winnowing out the herd. Like to get down to just 4 or 5 (my English flock includes Fullers, WLP85, West Yorkshire, London ESB, S-04, Adnans, Whitbread slp017, Burton, WLP85, WLP026 Premium.) For example, I will use Nottingham going forward to substitute for Irish ale yeast because they are really close to my palate. Just pitched a West Yorkshire vs Adnan's split batch yeast off 10 minutes ago.

I don't like London III (dull and lifeless), Windsor (too fruity), Yorkshire Squares (beyond my brewing ability and comes off most of the time like a Saison)
I have the same problem with too many british yeast and yeasts in general(I think I have 25), the need to reslant and verify dictates the yeast I use.

Were you the person that mixed a bunch of different yeasts into a monster mix a while back? If so how did that work out?

Electrochemically etched volume markings on my boil kettle.
IMG_20200621_220702.jpg

Brewed up my first IPL yesterday; great efficiency as usual. Also kicked the oatmeal stout, cleaned the keg and tap line it was on. Want to keg the DIPA soon (already dry hopped, so clock is ticking), but it keeps burping.

Latest lager keg is going to kick soon (embarrassed to admit it's only been on tap less than a week, it's damn good) so upped the psi on the Citra/Galaxy IPA I kegged this weekend; half-carbed glass I'm sipping on now (it's been on serving pressure a few days) is quite tasty but will be better at full carbonation. Second IPA done on the Kveiking yeast; hazy as all hell, but it tastes great with nothing off. New lager fermenting at 55 is taking its damn sweet time, so need something else this weekend I'm thinking; might do another batch of Wit, this time with Pilsner malt and the Kveiking to get it on tap faster. I don't care about the clove/banana it's supposed to have, just want something nice, fruity, and crisp on tap fairly soon.

Were you the person that mixed a bunch of different yeasts into a monster mix a while back? If so how did that work out?
Yep, I called it the "beast yeast." It didn't turn out that well. I think because it included some yeasts that I don't like all that much (London III, Windsor, CDC, etc). I will try it again when I get down to say a half dozen "keepers."

In the meantime, I use WLP85 blend quite a bit (WLP002 and probably 007) because it attenuates 10-15% more than fullers, doesn't drop out too early, and still clears a lot. Plus, it was the one yeast I bought during a very quick 15 minute stop for a small flight at White Labs about 2.5 years ago.

I need to do a Whitbread split batch. That is, WLP017 versus S-04 versus a combo of the two.

Finally kegged the DIPA. Great attenuation, almost too good. Gonna need a minute for the alcohol taste to subside, which is not overpowering, but there.

Pondering on adding another tap to the kegerator; also need to install a drip tray. If I do four taps will need one 14" long and that's gonna run about $50, ouch. Current manifold is a 4-way but I have a splitter I can put on it, so i still have my dedicated force carb line. Also just did my nails (yes I am girly sometimes) so can't do much but think about it. And drinking on some truly lovely IPA on this hot stinky day. Bonus of kegging; can pull a pint without smudging freshly painted nails.
20200625_163655[1].jpg

Bottled a case of kolsch. Hoping the ferment didn't get too warm, did my best to keep it cool but a couple days might have spiked on me a bit. Sampled decent though and my experience is that kolsch (2565 yeast) always tastes a bit bland at bottling, but comes to its own after carbing and a few weeks in the fridge.

Tossed a bunch of bottles into the fridge for lagering. Its getting cramped in there so I packed up a few six pack samplers to hand out to some friends and family.

Cranked up the temperature on the ferment fridge to 63 (not difficult in this weather) to give the current lager a d-rest; it will sit there until Sunday night when I'll turn it down to 48 for a week. In the meantime doing my best to kill the current lager keg, so I can justify putting the American Strong keg that's been aging a couple weeks back in the kegerator.

Got my stout bottled. Not as dark as I wanted. Think my roasted Barley was 300 L instead of 500 and my Maris otter isn’t as dark as the Order I just received. Oh well. I had 9 Guinness bottles I used to bottle and 2 bombers. Only a 1.5 gallon batch. Had half a bottle left that I will sample in a hour or so once the stuff settles.

edit. It looks pretty good. Tastes good too!
image.jpg

Last edited:
Decided to see if I could get through two all-grain, full sparge, 90 min boil batches in a day on my three vessel electric HERMs system. Started at 6.30am and just finished final cleanup and mopping the floor now at 10.55pm. Exhausted, but I now have a kölsch and a best bitter in the fermenters.

The only screw up was forgetting to turn the cold water to my plate chiller on and dumping half a gallon of 212F kölsh wort in my fermenter while the O2 stone was running. Luckily the rest of the cool wort and glycol brought it down pretty quickly. Let’s see if hot-side airation is a thing...

Back