What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cleaned a keg and kegged the Amber Ale I brewed 10 days ago. It was a batch to use up the last few pounds of some base malts (M. O. and Munich 10) that I had on hand. Eight pound grain bill for a 5 gallon batch. Finished at 3.9 ABV. It’s not yellow but it will be fizzy so it should be a decent lawnmower beer.

I went with gamma lids on old brew buckets when I retired them. Sure work great for locking in flavor and aroma. They only hold half a sack of grain but that makes them easier to move about.

I had plenty of grain going into the lockdown, but getting close to needing more soon. Will see if I can resist the urge to buy extra when I get more.

I have only had my AHA membership that includes Zymurgy for a few months but I’ve read back as far as 2011 online. I’m a teacher so I’ve obviously had a lot of time on my hands. I’ve learned a lot and used tips and a few recipes. I’ve also learned a lot from BYO seeing articles on Pinterest.
You can Google a lot of BYO material. Some is viewable some is not, don't know how they decide what is ok to view and what is not. I'm sure both mags have a wealth of good material. I've been brewing about 16 years and still learn new things all the time.

Came home to enjoy a pint of my new Wit only to find the beer kinda flat; so put it back on force carb. What's that hissing noise? Oh crap, coming from the in post. No worries, just put the disconnect on it. Close kegerator door; 10 seconds later, FWOOOOOSH SNAP oh crap! Poppit failed catastrophically and beer was creeping up the co2 line! Got the tank shut off, everything disconnected. Didn't have any new poppits handy so cannibalized one of the empty kegs for that one. Put back together, back on force carb, and now holding. Explains why my 20lb tank kicked about 2 months earlier than it should have, fortunately had a spare. If for some reason this one goes south I've got my 5lb full, and will go get the 20lb exchanged next payday. Arrrgh. Gonna order some new poppits in the next couple days.

Cracked open bottle #1 of the Belgian/West Coast Pale I bottled last week. (5 days) Very promising! First time using gelatin with the priming sugar. Surprisingly little chill haze. Looking forward to enjoying this one on 4th of July!

I made this one with Wyeast 1762 Abbey II. Planning duplicate with 3522 Ardennes next week. Had really good luck with it last year.

Right now I am sparging my "Nearly Nevada" Pale Ale, and so far a very enjoyable brew day on the back lanai. I got to use my Ss Brewtech grain mill for the first time today and man this thing works very well for my needs. Love the crush and the way you just dump in the grain, press a button, and it automatically goes to town! No more hand drill and it is a nice all in one mill. Have a great day everyone!

John

I went with gamma lids on old brew buckets when I retired them. Sure work great for locking in flavor and aroma. They only hold half a sack of grain but that makes them easier to move about.

I had plenty of grain going into the lockdown, but getting close to needing more soon. Will see if I can resist the urge to buy extra when I get more.
The buckets work great, and I have 3 5 gals with the lids, but need about 3 more. It all about saving some space right now. (Buckets would cost a lot less)

My LHBS(morebeer) open their stores up for curbside pickup so I picked up a sack of great western pale and a sack of weyermann pilsner malt today. Picked up some kolsch yeast too which will help put a little dent in the pilsner sack.

Got a starter going for the kolsch and cleaned up a keg.

Sent an email to my LHBS for an order to pick up tomorrow; I'm slap out of pilsner and down to 8lbs of two row so need to restock. I'll do a lot of housecleaning tomorrow to justify it. Also pulled the PRV again on the Bodhizafa clone I did last week on Kveiking yeast; initial tasting was promising, will be better on full carb in a few days.

Gave a six pack of my Huell Melon SMaSH to a buddy last night-he's driving to Utah today and is pretty depressed about his beer options (especially not being able to brew beer at the family house, it's against the rules).

Brewing my Red Rye today, changed the hops on it-I hope for the better- and am going to use the yeast cake for my upcoming Barley Wine.

Just talked to LHBS, she's out of two row because her distributor's truck broke down, darn it. She has plenty of pilsner though, so brewday tomorrow has now become another WF lager, since the keg we have is about to kick. About to tap the Bodhizafa clone I did on Kveiking; it's been carbing since Thursday and should be ready.

Racked my mead off of the fruit into secondary. 9%. Also, racked my hornindal kveik barleywine into an empty moonshine brandy barrel.
20200606_162130.jpg
20200606_192840.jpg
20200606_194643.jpg
20200606_193715.jpg

Brewed up a double batch of DIPA. Took 2 hours longer than my typical brew day, broke a hydrometer, missed my gravity a bit (expected that), and volume was off (too much!) but still satisfied all in all. Won't be doing that frequently though.
Also FINALLY kicked my super sweet braggot.

Brewed a kolsch. Hot damn day here, but the basement was relatively comfortable. Waiting for it to cool off that last 6-7 degrees before pitching 2565.
Organized the beer fridge. It was getting chaotic.
Dropped off a few six packs samplers. One to the sister in law and one to friend who hasn't tried any of my home-brew in awhile. I had him in mind when I was brewing my Munich dunkel earlier in the year. Hopefully it passes his test. SIL feels guilty that I keep her stocked so she swapped me a four pack of pseudo sue. Not my favorite, but it'll drink. Apparently a local store was selling four packs for 7.99 and she stocked up haha.

Doing some housework tonight while the husband tackles the yard; and just barely stopped him from using my new hosecutters on the blackberry stalks we need to get rid of. Oh hell no you ain't using those on that! Finally found the clippers he needed and my pretty hosecutter is safe. So now sipping on some homebrew American strong before I finish the bathroom. How is this what I did for beer today? Housework done, means I can enjoy my homebrew with impunity.

Ordered two pounds of 2019 Galaxy hops from Yakima Valley Hops with their sale. Added a pound of BRU-1 hops to the order too. I’m hoping this gets me brewing more this summer.
I only have a pound coming because I needed some Citra & Sabro as well, and didn't want to spend a lot. Planning on a Galaxy SMasH done on Kveiking yeast in a couple weeks. Love their First Friday sales!

What did you make this year? I've yet to get started on the recipe for mine, I need to do something different this year.
Fruit cake old ale. I’m hoping there won’t be much tartness left behind, I can say the aromas emanating from the airlock are nice and fruity. (It’s for 12 beers of Christmas 2020 west coast has openings if you are into trading)

Last edited:
Bottling an oatmeal stout tomorrow or should say today lol. Also ordered a Speidel 30L fermenter to go along with my glass carboy looks like an incredible vessel from more beer. Also ordered the crop duster grain mill and a refractometer from Austin Homebrew Supply and finally I'm picking up an Igloo BMX 52 at cooler (fromTarget) to convert in to a mash tun. Between remodeling the master bedroom and brewing since being laid off has kept me busy.

Watched some bubbles and took gravity readings, made temp adjustments. Did some pruning and training of hop bines. Reaped the benefits of bottling some extra beer that did not fit into the keg using a soda bottle and a carbonating cap.

Last edited:
Moved my Red Rye into a keg for spunding and dry hopping.

Brewed a Pale Barley Wine and dumped it onto the Rye's yeast cake. The yeasties took off immediately, hoping it'll finish about 12% or so. The hop schedule is based on an AHA Bigfoot clone.

Using the BW grain, I also made a Centennial Blonde Parti-Gyle (well, close enough), should be about 4.25%.

Since I live in Los Angeles, I have concerns over water usage and water wastage. I rigged up a system today, where my cooling water ends up in the rain barrels that normally collect runoff from the roof. Now my beer-cooling water will keep the hops and the rest of the garden happy, especially in summer.

Gonna drink a LOT of homebrew tonight. To make a long story short, two years ago the owner of the company I work for (originally a small air/ocean freight concern with offices in Seatac, Kent, Portland, and Vancouver BC) sold us to a huge conglomerate super-corporation that hadn't (and still doesn't) any idea of how ocean freight works. I've been a container dispatcher for 13 years, and I'm pretty damn good at it. Fast forward a couple years, and we're not making the money they expected; add the coronavirus kerfluffle and about 70% of our staff was laid off, with the rest of us expected to take on more responsibilities. I'm salary; expected to work longer hours so the hourly folks can work shorter hours. I'm not the complaining sort, I gladly took on more work to save the company. The manager (former owner), has other ideas now and apparently my job is on the line, based on some issues over the last few weeks that I had little to no control over. I was told today to fast-track training of my new supervisor on how to do my job; being in the workforce as long as I have, I know what that means. Get her trained, and they can get rid of me.

I know I can find another job (have a few tentative offers on the table) but at 52 it's hard to change. So tonight, with the husband at the pub playing cards with his buddies, I'm going to let my homebrew do what it does best; get me schnockered. And since I no longer work my second job, which had the constant threat of random drug tests hovering over my head, I might also pay a visit to our neighborhood "green" store tomorrow night. Gonna be a weird weekend.

Back