What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Super lazy hot dog broil lunch. Started with fries, then hebrew nationals, then veg. Dumped out on parchment and served with tongs. First whole wheat mix in a long time. Made the buns while the fryer cooked. About 20 min start to table.

Did I add this here or just in pizza thread? I used a cast iron in my pizza oven to make hamburgers. Was pretty good. Super good. Used mesquite wood with propane. Home made bread yoddy doddy

Chocolate! Alright I am starting to take this personally :) No one likes chocolate. Well I have posted the recipe enough if the urge hits.

What else. Did I post these chips, the loss of the app has been rough. I fried some corn tortillas in a little canola oil. Omg, these little devils are heavenly. And nachos with pork butt.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200328-224907_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200328-224907_Gallery.jpg
    650.8 KB · Views: 29
  • Screenshot_20200328-224832_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200328-224832_Gallery.jpg
    654.1 KB · Views: 28
  • 20200324_165709.jpg
    20200324_165709.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 26
  • 20200324_173229.jpg
    20200324_173229.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 25
  • 20200323_220513.jpg
    20200323_220513.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 27
  • 20200323_115254.jpg
    20200323_115254.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 28
  • 20200323_113006.jpg
    20200323_113006.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 30
I just fed my sourdough starter, now I need to feed it a little more as I want SD waffles in the morning, afternoon, time is irrelevant.
Good to see you around, that is an excellent plan, I didn’t use starter for these, but I do think SD waffles and pancakes are extra good.

@TwistedGray that mole looks so good. Makes me really crave mexican food. Awesome your wife can cook like that.

Last night made some Hershey's chocolate syrup, you know me and chocolate. I refill bottle of store bought with homemade. Its 1c sugar 1c water and a half cup cocoa powder. A pinch of salt. Brought to boil and boiled for one minute only, cools and thickens as it cools.

@TwistedGray that mole looks so good. Makes me really crave mexican food. Awesome your wife can cook like that.

She gets the seasoning from a nursing school friend who gets it from a little old lady when she goes to MX to visit family. It's probably no more than $1 per Ziploc bag. Best mole I've ever had, MiL agrees and she can cook like whoa.

Welp, I was hoping to make donuts; however, no one has yeast anywhere ;(
Never done it myself, but I've got PRD (Ponder and Research Disorder) :)
You CAN use beer yeast to make bread - but it requires about 5 hours of rise time. I've also wondered if kveik at 95F would work better but I haven't found anyone doing that yet.

You might enjoy this experiment of how different yeasts affect the bread.
https://pastrychefonline.com/baking-with-brewers-yeast/

Amazon seems to have a good supply. Not good for instant gratification but if you ordered some NOW you could be making doughnuts by week's end or NEXT week! :)

Yeah, but Amazon has a 2 lb brick of ADY for $29.99 + $10.00 shipping! It's usually $10.99 with free shipping, which was already absurd, given that I always just pick it up for a mere $2.99 at the GFS store.

Amazon seems to have a good supply. Not good for instant gratification but if you ordered some NOW you could be making doughnuts by week's end or NEXT week! :)

I thought about that, but I'm not keen to fork over that much for some effing yeast.

If you want ADY, I've got a lot I could mail you. But, I've also heard Sour Doughnuts are indeed a thing.

I was just looking for enough to do a small batch of donuts and a loaf of white bread. I'm happy to buy a packet (or do I need two?) from you if that's an option.

Yeah, but Amazon has a 2 lb brick of ADY for $29.99 + $10.00 shipping! It's usually $10.99 with free shipping, which was already absurd, given that I always just pick it up for a mere $2.99 at the GFS store.

Yeah, I kind of assumed that the Amazon prices were heavily inflated...apparently I was right.

I thought about that, but I'm not keen to fork over that much for some effing yeast.

I was just looking for enough to do a small batch of donuts and a loaf of white bread. I'm happy to buy a packet (or do I need two?) from you if that's an option.

Yeah, I kind of assumed that the Amazon prices were heavily inflated...apparently I was right.

I'll shoot you a PM.

Welp, I was hoping to make donuts; however, no one has yeast anywhere ;(

I'll shoot you a PM.
I just bought a 3pk this week and probably will only use 1. If either of you, or really anyone needs a pack, I'll send it for a "pay it forward." Just send a pm. I'm fairly certain its fleischman rapid, but would confirm before sending.

I just bought a 3pk this week and probably will only use 1. If either of you, or really anyone needs a pack, I'll send it for a "pay it forward." Just send a pm. I'm fairly certain its fleischman rapid, but would confirm before sending.

Appreciate the offer! I'm good tho. As I bought 2 lbs of it a little while ago...

You know, Baker's yeast was originally brewer's yeast
I have red star cider yeast, its my back up plan. I am going to start going to 12 hour rises or whatever. I like what that produces anyways. One packets of yeast could make ten batches. Its a quarter tsp per batch for no knead bread recipes iirc.

Last edited:
Never done it myself, but I've got PRD (Ponder and Research Disorder) :)
You CAN use beer yeast to make bread - but it requires about 5 hours of rise time. I've also wondered if kveik at 95F would work better but I haven't found anyone doing that yet.

You might enjoy this experiment of how different yeasts affect the bread.
https://pastrychefonline.com/baking-with-brewers-yeast/
Thanks I have wondered for a long time.

Bread yeast is ale yeast, S. cerevisiae. Since antiquity, because brewers harvest much more yeast from each batch than needed to pitch the next, they've sold the excess to bakers. But what about lager yeast? Hmm. Well, I'm a lager brewer. Guess I ought to experiment and report. Don't hold your breath, but I'm feeling mildly motivated.

I have red star cider yeast, its my back up plan. I am going to start going to 12 hour rises or whatever. I like what that produces anyways. One packets of yeast could make ten batches. Its a quarter tsp per batch for no knead bread recipes iirc.
Also, sourdough doesn't require the addition of extra yeast just an active starter and a couple of long rises.

Back