What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife wanted a lemon meringue pie. I had never made one before.
IMG_20200412_172803.jpg

7DF2C359-0D21-4DD0-A44C-41597C332285.jpeg

The Easter menu was salad to start, spiral sliced ham and fresh ham, asparagus with hollandaise, green peas and pearl onions, garlic dill roasted potatoes, canned apple pie filling, (don’t judge I made the hollandaise) baked sweet potatoes and popovers that were finishing in the hot oven when this was snapped.

Last edited:
My 13yo wanted to cook Saturday and made a Cheezy Chicken Broccoli dish. It was delicious! Mid-meal, she wonders aloud "Why is this so flavorful? I only seasoned it with salt and pepper!" I gave it a minute of thought and realized the 'secret ingredient' was the chicken broth I had made/canned from smoked chicken carcasses!

That broth has kind of a funny story to go with it. A few months back my wife came home from shopping with a big can of Steel Reserve, thinking that she had found a beer that I hadn't tried yet. And it was cheap too! Lol! FWIW, Steel Reserve makes some excellent broth!

Happy Easter. Apocalyptic Easter my wife was calling it. Was great. We got these pre stuffed eggs and the kids went nuts finding and playing with the little toys in them. Dinner was ham smoked with a neelys rub I made with the kids and bad frozen veggies and mashed potatoes. Also some homemade bread. But the crown jewel, my first homemade mustard. Man that mustard is so good. Easy to make, mustard will be a staple on our table.
Screenshot_20200412-175211_Gallery.jpg

We make mustard 2 quarts at a time! It just gets better as it sits. And yes it's delicious. We soak yellow mustard seeds in vinegar for a couple days, then into the Vitamix with any flavored vinegar - pickle juice, pepperoncini juice, etc. - and process with a beer and enough water to get the proper consistency. Also turmeric, onion and garlic powders, salt, I forget what else. It's awesome stuff and looks just like French's yellow mustard but tastes 10 times better. Glad you're making it now too @applescrap!

That ham is beautiful.

We make mustard 2 quarts at a time! It just gets better as it sits. And yes it's delicious. We soak yellow mustard seeds in vinegar for a couple days, then into the Vitamix with any flavored vinegar - pickle juice, pepperoncini juice, etc. - and process with a beer and enough water to get the proper consistency. Also turmeric, onion and garlic powders, salt, I forget what else. It's awesome stuff and looks just like French's yellow mustard but tastes 10 times better. Glad you're making it now too @applescrap!

That ham is beautiful.
Well that sounds really good. Since we have a new blender on its way via Amazon, I may have to look into doing something like that.

OK here you go - our "secret recipe" - :D

House of C Yellow Mustard

Soak:
1 cup dry yellow mustard seeds
1.5 cups apple cider vinegar
2/3 cup flavored vinegar - from a jar of vinegar pickled veggies - we've used bread & butter pickle juice, pepperoncini juice, dill pickle juice, hot giardiniera - whatever you like. We save our jars of pickle juice once the veggies are gone from it for just this purpose. If you don't have any flavored vinegars just use more apple cider vinegar.

Put seeds and vinegars into a quart jar, stir once a day and let sit on the counter at least 2 days - we usually do 4 or 5.

Processing:
Your jar of soaked seeds/vinegars
1 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. garlic powder
1/8 tsp. paprika
1/8 tsp. onion powder
2 tsp. turmeric powder
1 cup flavored vinegar (see above) (apple cider vinegar is fine too if you don't have flavored vinegars)
12 to 20 ounces liquid - beer is really good, water is fine if you don't have anything else, we tried white wine one time and it made Dijon mustard!

Pour seeds and soaking liquid into a strong blender - we use a Vitamix. Add seasonings and flavored vinegar and 12 ounces of liquid. Start at lowest setting of blender and gradually increase speed as mixture begins to blend. When mixture starts to thicken, add more beer or water til you get the proper texture. We always make it JUST a bit thinner than French's yellow mustard consistency as it will thicken up a bit as it sits. It should basically be a nice yellow consistent product - no seeds visible.

Makes 1.5 to 2 quarts yellow mustard.

The flavor is pretty sharp the first week but mellows as it sits. We never refrigerate it. We fill up a squeeze bottle with the mustard for daily use.

This is the base we use each time. We've tried it using hard cider - good! We've tried it using ALL water - good! We've used everything from light lagers to dark brown ales - all good! Have fun experimenting.

OK here you go - our "secret recipe" - :D

House of C Yellow Mustard

Soak:
1 cup dry yellow mustard seeds
1.5 cups apple cider vinegar
2/3 cup flavored vinegar - from a jar of vinegar pickled veggies - we've used bread & butter pickle juice, pepperoncini juice, dill pickle juice, hot giardiniera - whatever you like. We save our jars of pickle juice once the veggies are gone from it for just this purpose. If you don't have any flavored vinegars just use more apple cider vinegar.

Put seeds and vinegars into a quart jar, stir once a day and let sit on the counter at least 2 days - we usually do 4 or 5.

Processing:
Your jar of soaked seeds/vinegars
1 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. garlic powder
1/8 tsp. paprika
1/8 tsp. onion powder
2 tsp. turmeric powder
1 cup flavored vinegar (see above) (apple cider vinegar is fine too if you don't have flavored vinegars)
12 to 20 ounces liquid - beer is really good, water is fine if you don't have anything else, we tried white wine one time and it made Dijon mustard!

Pour seeds and soaking liquid into a strong blender - we use a Vitamix. Add seasonings and flavored vinegar and 12 ounces of liquid. Start at lowest setting of blender and gradually increase speed as mixture begins to blend. When mixture starts to thicken, add more beer or water til you get the proper texture. We always make it JUST a bit thinner than French's yellow mustard consistency as it will thicken up a bit as it sits. It should basically be a nice yellow consistent product - no seeds visible.

Makes 1.5 to 2 quarts yellow mustard.

The flavor is pretty sharp the first week but mellows as it sits. We never refrigerate it. We fill up a squeeze bottle with the mustard for daily use.

This is the base we use each time. We've tried it using hard cider - good! We've tried it using ALL water - good! We've used everything from light lagers to dark brown ales - all good! Have fun experimenting.
Thank you!! Can't wait to try it...

Lol, no cares in the world. Gearing up to plant next month for this year's harvest :)
I cant do that here. County ordinance states indoor only in a detached structure. I want to enjoy that good outdoor earthy flavor. Yes... its not as controlled or strong, but its like eating a hot-house tomato vs from the garden, no comparison!

I cant do that here. County ordinance states indoor only in a detached structure. I want to enjoy that good outdoor earthy flavor. Yes... its not as controlled or strong, but its like eating a hot-house tomato vs from the garden, no comparison!

Yeah, we're on old farmland, but you wouldn't know it considering were in "the city"..everything grows well here. Now I just need five massive trees felled too let in some midday sun. Meet with the tree guy tomorrow :)

Decided to use some of my pulled pork to make empanadas for the first time. Dough was super sticky so I just kept adding flour until it looked right. Turned out I’d misread 1/3rd cup water for 1/2 cup!

First batch had been in for 15 minutes and didn’t look right. Then I realized I’d forgot the baking powder! They tasted a bit like matzah, so Fortunately not a total waste, just Jewish pork empanadas :p

I worked some baking powder into the other half batch and those turned out looking much better! I was surprised how tender they turned out. I was sure that I had over-worked the dough getting the baking powder incorporated!
77419793-5B6D-46DE-91A4-AB5E0863CD92.jpeg

Last edited:
Do you let 2 qts sit on the counter till its gone? What kind of timeline is that?
Thanks for the recipe!

It sits in our pantry, which is a nice dark place most of the time!! :). 2 quarts probably lasts us at least 2 months.

BTW you need a heavy-duty blender if you want this nice and smooth like French's. You know the term "can't cut the mustard" - LOL!! You need some power to grind those little seeds up well. This is partially why we soak them for at least several days.

Big one is a lemon thyme olive oil cake, and the small one is a cannabis infused coconut oil lemon olive oil cake (20mg in total, so roughly 5mg per quarter slice...I could eat the whole thing in one setting (hence the larger one, too). The jar I showed before is 450mg-ish so roughly 9mg per tsp (2+ for this recipe). Should last a while until I find other users for coconut oil.
00000IMG_00000_BURST20200417171410091_COVER.jpg
IMG_20200417_170900.jpg

Big one is a lemon thyme olive oil cake, and the small one is a cannabis infused coconut oil lemon olive oil cake (20mg in total, so roughly 5mg per quarter slice...I could eat the whole thing in one setting (hence the larger one, too). The jar I showed before is 450mg-ish so roughly 9mg per tsp (2+ for this recipe). Should last a while until I find other users for coconut oil.
View attachment 676173 View attachment 676174
Cannabis huh... I'll take the small one.

Cheated tonight. Takeout from one of our favorite places. Grilled rib eye enchiladas with tomatillo salsa, jicama guacamole, el pato red rice, spicy black beans, queso fresco, and creama. Pic from Instagram because my pic didn't do it justice.

c.png

Desert was a blackberry burrito, minus the homemade ice cream since it was a 20 minute drive home.

20200417-174737-1.jpg

've been too busy the last two weeks. Did some Jalapeno Cheddar bread last weekend, then made grill cheese sandwiches with it :) That's about it except for a couple of pizzas.

Oh man Travis! That looks just like the jalapeño cheese loaves that Costco used to make in their bakery - no doubt yours is BETTER! :) They quit making them, probably a good thing for me. It's a no-go on Keto!

Back