What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Potato soup, topped with healthy cheddar, sour cream, bacon, and oyster crackers :)
Potato Soup 21 Oct 2019.jpg

I found my bean/kale/sausage version recipe. The semi spicy polish sausage is what makes it IMO. Cannelllini or Canary beans i like best for this but Great Whites are fine too.

2 cans of low sodium cannellini beans with liquid
1.5lb pork loin chops (a bit on the fatty side) cut up into 3/4" cubes
1/4lb semi spicy polish sausage sliced about 1/4-1/2" thick
1/4lb Spanish dry chorizo sliced about 1/4-1/2" thick
1-2 cups of fresh kale. Ribs removed and coarsely chopped
No salt added chicken bone broth

(Sofrito)
2 cups of chopped yellow onion
About 1 cup of chopped red bell pepper
Couple stalks of celery (chopped)
1 jalapeno chopped and deseeded
1 small roma chopped
About a tbs of minced garlic. I used a little more
Pinch of Mexican oregano..literally a pinch ground in my fingers
1/2tsp ground cumin
1 packet of Goya Sazon without annatto...totally optional or sub a little MSG
1/4tsb habanero powder....mine is sorta mild.....Wanted a little heat and habby goodness

Brown all the sausage and remove from the pan. Just want to render out some of the fat and make it a little crisp on the edges
Brown the pork in the sausage fat.. The crispier the better too IMO
Pour off some of the left over drippings if you think its too much. I probably removed about 1-2tbs worth.

Add the sofrito to the remaining pork fat. Add olive if you need more oil
Cook the sofrito until the tomato has released its liquid and the onions are softening. You should notice a slight sweetness at this point.
Add the pork back to the sofrito (NOT THE SAUSAGE) stirfry it for a couple more minutes.
Add enough chicken stock of bone broth to not quite cover the pork. You could use more if you want it more soupy. Im going for almost a stew.

Bring to a boil and then down to a simmer on low for about 20-30min

Add the cans of bean but reserve about half a can. Might need to mash a little to get it thicker if you want it closer to a stew.

Simmer for about another 20min, Then add the sausage and the kale.

Continue to simmer the soup (uncovered if you want it reduced) until the kale is done enough for you. Maybe another 10ish minutes.

I found my bean/kale/sausage version recipe. The semi spicy polish sausage is what makes it IMO. Cannelllini or Canary beans i like best for this but Great Whites are fine too.

2 cans of low sodium cannellini beans with liquid
1.5lb pork loin chops (a bit on the fatty side) cut up into 3/4" cubes
1/4lb semi spicy polish sausage sliced about 1/4-1/2" thick
1/4lb Spanish dry chorizo sliced about 1/4-1/2" thick
1-2 cups of fresh kale. Ribs removed and coarsely chopped
No salt added chicken bone broth

(Sofrito)
2 cups of chopped yellow onion
About 1 cup of chopped red bell pepper
Couple stalks of celery (chopped)
1 jalapeno chopped and deseeded
1 small roma chopped
About a tbs of minced garlic. I used a little more
Pinch of Mexican oregano..literally a pinch ground in my fingers
1/2tsp ground cumin
1 packet of Goya Sazon without annatto...totally optional or sub a little MSG
1/4tsb habanero powder....mine is sorta mild.....Wanted a little heat and habby goodness

Brown all the sausage and remove from the pan. Just want to render out some of the fat and make it a little crisp on the edges
Brown the pork in the sausage fat.. The crispier the better too IMO
Pour off some of the left over drippings if you think its too much. I probably removed about 1-2tbs worth.

Add the sofrito to the remaining pork fat. Add olive if you need more oil
Cook the sofrito until the tomato has released its liquid and the onions are softening. You should notice a slight sweetness at this point.
Add the pork back to the sofrito (NOT THE SAUSAGE) stirfry it for a couple more minutes.
Add enough chicken stock of bone broth to not quite cover the pork. You could use more if you want it more soupy. Im going for almost a stew.

Bring to a boil and then down to a simmer on low for about 20-30min

Add the cans of bean but reserve about half a can. Might need to mash a little to get it thicker if you want it closer to a stew.

Simmer for about another 20min, Then add the sausage and the kale.

Continue to simmer the soup (uncovered if you want it reduced) until the kale is done enough for you. Maybe another 10ish minutes.

Noted and in the list of things to try. Thanks!

Soup Nazi clone recipe for Mulligitawny soup that we just love. No meat. But tastes like it does. Posted here before, but still encouraging everybody to try this.
Starting off you can’t see the corn and the nuts.
IMG_3312.JPG

I wait to cut up and add the potatoes until everything is going so the potatoes don’t turn brown.
IMG_3313.JPG

Then it is a huge reduction that just extracts and concentrates flavors. Almost done now.
IMG_3318.JPG

It’s about a 60% reduction. All soup Nazi recipes are. And they are awesome!

Cooling weather means the shops are full of gourds!

Butternut squash soup is SO good - cook it you must. According to my wife, who asked me to make it, it's healthful too.

Butternut squash soup is made from only a few ingredients: squash, an onion, chicken stock, and a pinch of nutmeg tossed into the bowl to remind you of the holidays. Key is to puree well - after cooking together, I used food processor to puree chunks of cooked squash and immersion blender for the broth, then recombined. Make sure to serve with homebrew Octoberfest :)

Recipe here: https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/butternut-squash-soup-recipe1-1957751

upload_2019-10-28_22-16-46.png

upload_2019-10-28_22-13-16.png

upload_2019-10-28_22-22-56.png

upload_2019-10-28_22-20-56.png

Last edited:
"Cook it you must!" said my wife as well :), a week or so ago. My recipe came from Tasteofhome.com. Very tasty indeed!

Recipes are similar (mine didn't have garlic or cream). But the process is quite different. I was surprised how "creamy" it was without any cream (I wanted to add some but found it wasn't necessary).

Recipes are similar (mine didn't have garlic or cream). But the process is quite different. I was surprised how "creamy" it was without any cream (I wanted to add some but found it wasn't necessary).
I also like the comments for that recipe:
Roast the squash first! By boiling it you miss the opportunity for great flavor. Use onion, maybe garlic and celery, brown them in oil or, better yet, butter. Roast the squash in a 400 degree oven THEN add it to the aromatics and the stock. Cook until tender then blend into a great soup. If you have a hard time peeling butternut, which I do, I poke holes in the skin, cut off both ends and microwave for 3-4 minutes. Peels easily. Then cut, roast and you'll have a great fall soup.
It probably doubles the time required but I think the payoff would be worth it.

I also like the comments for that recipe:

I'll try the roasting it the next time. Maybe try the cream too... I guess I'll just try that recipe :) I was loving what I made though.

Regarding peeling a butternut squash while still uncooked: I suggest cutting ends off then halving with a heavy knife, then peeling with a potato peeler. Very quick.

Butternut squash soup
Looks great. I don't eat it but my wife loves it so it goes into the rotation.

I'm making it tomorrow. I bake the squash which is different. I usually add apples but I'm going to add carrots/apples this time. I also have to use vegetable stock since my wife doesn't eat meat.
Edit: I didn't see your latest post.

Last few days update. Made some cookies the other day. The wilton color pastes and gels are nice. Haha, ran out of lunch bread so raided the bread bucket, learned on hbt, Woot. Flat iron steak last night, woot! After took steak out added butter and onions. Then red wine and reduced. Carved a couple pumpkins Sunday. Tonight made tortillas on cast iron with fajitas and homeade hot sauce all learned here on hbt, woot woot!!
20191029_173712.jpeg
20191029_173707.jpeg
20191029_172109.jpeg
Screenshot_20191028-221122_Gallery.jpeg
20191028_183414.jpeg
20191028_202057.jpeg
20191027_171540.jpeg
20191027_162029.jpeg
20191027_162043.jpeg
20191027_151342.jpeg
20191028_182823.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks good!

My butternut squash soup also has cream, and apples and apple cider in it. (Not apple cider vinegar!)

And topped with pepitas.

About time to make it again...
I don't add cream while cooking, but do add a healthy dollop of sour cream when serving and top with green onions.

I usually add red curry paste and sometimes leek. Occasionally I'll add raw shrimp or crab to the bowl then top with piping hot soup from the kettle. Let ot cool for 5 min then stir in sour cream.

I don't add cream while cooking, but do add a healthy dollop of sour cream when serving and top with green onions.

I usually add red curry paste and sometimes leek. Occasionally I'll add raw shrimp or crab to the bowl then top with piping hot soup from the kettle. Let ot cool for 5 min then stir in sour cream.

Dude! I was MUCH maligned a year ago when I served soup ( I think it was asparagus) with a dollop of sour cream. I love the stuff but I guess that’s not universal.

Dude! I was MUCH maligned a year ago when I served soup ( I think it was asparagus) with a dollop of sour cream. I love the stuff but I guess that’s not universal.
So... maybe no sour cream in oxtail&barley stew or in menudo or pho/ramen, but almost any other stew does well as a cream base, even tomato or chicken base.

I'll try the roasting it the next time. Maybe try the cream too... I guess I'll just try that recipe :) I was loving what I made though.
The last two times I’ve made butternut squash soup I roasted it first and will only go that route from now on. It added a depth of flavor that I’ve not had before. I use the Instant Pot to cook the shallots and garlic the add the stock and seasoning to the pot and pressure cook for 3 minutes to heat it up. Add the roasted squash in the pot and hit it with a stick blender till soup.

Rolled inbetween two sheets of parchment. Ap flour. Yeah they were so good with the fajitas, my wife was like a wild animal towards them. Need to up my game, any tips much appreciated. Assune masa makes corn flour tortillas and I like those, what is the press? Thought about rolling in pasta maker?!
Did you press them by hand or use a press? Corn masa flour? Man nothing better.

Not soup, but a few years ago we made roasted butternut squash cubes a lot. I dont k now the recipe, but it was cut and peeled like passedpawn said and then cubed. Then they were fried with butter and cinnamon and sugar and braised in chicken stock or something like that, they were pretty good and not much work.

I'll have a go with your recipe to see the differences. Just about my favorite thing to do with Butternut Squash right now is to peel it, dice it up into 3/4" chuncks, coat them with a little EVOO and some herbs and maybe garlic, then just roast them in the oven as a side dish. I have made a soup recipe that starts that way too.

Last few days update. Made some cookies the other day. The wilton color pastes and gels are nice. Haha, ran out of lunch bread so raided the bread bucket, learned on hbt, Woot. Flat iron steak last night, woot! After took steak out added butter and onions. Then red wine and reduced. Carved a couple pumpkins Sunday. Tonight made tortillas on cast iron with fajitas and homeade hot sauce all learned here on hbt, woot woot!!View attachment 650374View attachment 650375View attachment 650376View attachment 650377View attachment 650378View attachment 650379View attachment 650380View attachment 650381View attachment 650382View attachment 650383View attachment 650384

Pumpkin looks great. Tortillas look great. But that Finger cookie is just awesome!

Rolled inbetween two sheets of parchment. Ap flour. Yeah they were so good with the fajitas, my wife was like a wild animal towards them. Need to up my game, any tips much appreciated. Assune masa makes corn flour tortillas and I like those, what is the press? Thought about rolling in pasta maker?!

I have one of these gizmos. You need to use a couple of sheets of parchment with it. Takes 2 seconds to squish a nice tortilla, then right into frypan. (mine is 8", but I wish I had gotten the 10")

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HWEIKZO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

upload_2019-8-27_12-52-51-png.641768

EF9E6F95-545E-476E-A81A-FE802725F9B4.jpeg
F6889CF9-599D-46A5-AAD8-4AA6150CEBD8.jpeg
All the squash soups look inviting. Nice cook on the steak @applescrap. I haven’t made flour tortillas in a very long time, but I used a rolling pin, and they for the most part, were nice and round.

Today I cooked up some bigots (Polish hunter’s stew) had it with rye bread and my piwo Grodziskie
Edit: I just saw what auto correct did. :lol: bigos not bigots were cooked.

Last edited:
Chuck Roast
Dark beer

All you need is some aji panca paste and you are on your way to Peruvian beef stew.

Back