What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can you provide what percentages specifically? I got the runaround on the internet trying to find some good combo to put in my meat grinder.
Thanks
Not schematix but we use brisket/chuck for our ground beef at 50/50 and 25% fat. Makes for some tasty, juicy burgers!

I cut off the point and use that as it’s fattier than the flat. I do save the good white fat from trimming up the flat though to get my fat percentage up in the burger.

Not schematix but we use brisket/chuck for our ground beef at 50/50 and 25% fat. Makes for some tasty, juicy burgers!

I cut off the point and use that as it’s fattier than the flat. I do save the good white fat from trimming up the flat though to get my fat percentage up in the burger.

I cheated and bought these patties. I’d guess they were about 50/50 based on fat content.

I too have mixed the trimmed brisket fat into chuck before and my god those were some
Epic burgers.

brisket/chuck for our ground beef at 50/50 and 25% fat.

Thanks. I wrote that down and if they have both at Costco, I'm there. The restaurant supplier, Fairway Packing Company, that I use has jacked the price of their 80/20 way up there.
I'm guessing that to get fat percentage, you just weigh the meat and the fat separately and do the ratio.
Once I complained to the supplier that the meat wasn't 80/20 because it set the grill on fire, basically. He took some of the meat and melted the fat out of it. Interesting gadget. I was correct though: the fat was 23-24%.
I'm sure 25% is awesome but I'll have to stay a little closer to 20 so as to not set the entire grill on fire.
Thanks again.

Shrimp stirfry
Screenshot_20191003-210853.png

That’s why I griddle my burgers on the grill. Open flame always sets them in fire for me.
Usually Cast iron, occasionally broiled. Have considered rotisserie if I can find the basket. But grill is still the fastest way for a crowd. I guess I can get a griddle for a large grill, but doesn't happen enough to feel the need.

Miso glaze pan seared chinook heart, liver and milt served over bamboo steamed sticky rice.
Another 1st for me. I like liver and heart, but never had fish liver or heart. First run for milt.
When I was working at a salmon cannery in the 90's, one of the guys offered me $5 to eat a huge chinook heart (raw). He got quite the bargain because I had to swallow that thing 3 times. It just kept coming back up! Your version looks much better.

Tip to instant pot users. Did not happen tonight but happened last time I cooked with it. If it seems like it is taking forever to build up pressure and you are getting the dreaded “Burn” display, it could be because you were stupid and did not put the silicone seal back on after you washed it. Just saying. Lol

That'll burn your onions.

Curious why you say that. I find that the onion sauté in a lot of dishes gives up so much liquid that it pretty much serves as a deglaze. In this case in the Instant Pot, it was only after I added the broth that I got the final bits off. Not sure how I would have burned the onions.

Curious why you say that. I find that the onion sauté in a lot of dishes gives up so much liquid that it pretty much serves as a deglaze. In this case in the Instant Pot, it was only after I added the broth that I got the final bits off. Not sure how I would have burned the onions.
I think what @TheDudeLebowski meant was attemptatteto pressure cook without the seal will "really burn your onions."

Going Korean today!

Making Kalbi (beef short ribs) and rice with ban chan (Korean side dishes) including homemade kimchi, daikon radish and finally mung bean sprouts.

All fresh veggies and the meat is marinating in a freshly made Asian marinade.

First time making the bean sprout and radish dishes. They really tasted awesome and have me waiting on the edge of my seat for suppertime.

Double-ground chuck and brisket. I got 10-12 pounds and very little waste. The meat grinder is a beast and easy to use if the ring is on tight enough but still a decent work out. Smells delicious. Burgers for dinner. I have no idea what the fat percentage is but it looks about right--not too lean.
grinder.jpg

Tip to instant pot users. Did not happen tonight but happened last time I cooked with it. If it seems like it is taking forever to build up pressure and you are getting the dreaded “Burn” display, it could be because you were stupid and did not put the silicone seal back on after you washed it. Just saying. Lol

Sadly I have done that - more than once! LOL!! Also forgot to put liquid in the bottom one time. Thankfully I was in the kitchen so caught it pretty fast.

LOVE the instant pot though.

Got crazy and added 1/2t of garlic powder and 1/2t onion powder to the dough. My batches are enough for three small squares and one large. That's my HB quad 12% ABV visiting.
beeranddough.jpg
Costco stopped selling canned diced tomatoes and I had a case of tomato sauce so I substituted. The pizza sauce came out much more flavorful and slightly thicker. Basic ham and cheese pizza here.
pizzaham.jpg

I'm calling this "Pesto Pizza." I used homemade pesto. I maxed the stove to 525F which I think improved the pizza overall and cut down the cooking time.
Pesto pizza.jpg
Pesto Pizza crust. The photo is a better representation of the pizza top colorl.
pestcrust.jpg

I recently 'discovered' Costco's organic canned tomato sauce and LOVE IT! It is so much thicker and flavorful than any other canned sauce I've had.
That case of tomato sauce on hand that I mentioned is the organic tomato sauce from Costco. I bought it accidentally instead of the organic canned diced.
The sauce is flavorful definitely. It worked out well on the pizza; however, I will have to adjust my seasoning amount if I want to continue to use it.
The canned diced is good because I can cook it down to my liking. I am now thinking two cans of each would be an interesting sauce.
Edit: from the L square photo, you can see the sauce is decently firm.

I havent had that, but I have had the sams tomato sauce and it is good as well. Side note, my father seems to think everything kirkland is amazing. My experience has not been the same and members mark product I find to be better. That said I dont like either all that much and prefer name brand when possible. That said the members mark stella mozzarella is excellenet as is the 5 cheese blend. My mil buys the prime beef from costco all the time and it never strikes me as better than ok. I know many of you love kirkland like my father, so sorry if this is upsetting but other than the vodka and big box of nuts, I think there is more variance in quality.

My mil buys the prime beef from costco all the time and it never strikes me as better than ok.

Just about all Costco meat has gone to crap in the last 10 years. They used to sell some really good stuff at good prices, but now it’s all the cheapest stuff they can get. Only meat I get there anymore is the racks of lamb.

I gambled on a whole prime tenderloin a month ago and it was outstanding. Some of the best filet I’ve ever tasted. But the other two I bought before weren’t even good by choice standards.

Their pork and chicken is consistently flavorless. Pretty bad luck with prime rib eyes too.

I used to get 100% of my meat there but I’ve started buying everything just as needed from the local grocery store.

I've been going to Costco for 20 years now. I buy the prime rib, filet, ribs, chicken and a couple other cuts. I've been impressed every time, never had an issue with quality. The Prime is as good as or better than anything I've had at an expensive restaurant (dry aging aside).

Back