What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, Steak and mushrooms didn't happen last night due to reasons. Instead I finished off some ribs on the grill and make baked potatoes to go with it, and a simple salad. Washed down with a Rubaeus, from Founders. Normally I don't go for fruit beers, but this one tasted pretty good with the ribs.

https://foundersbrewing.com/our-beer/rubaeus/

Ribs look super good. Great looking plate.

Scallops, salt, butter...

36ECC94D-116E-46FC-897C-57231325E400_zps4xjq57il.jpg

Rib eye, salt, cast iron...

F434315E-F69A-4D89-8FB2-3B09EC59320A_zpsuiwdv2qk.jpg

A little surf and turf tonight. :mug:

So amazing. Just inspiring.

Really proud of my wife. She made burritos and made them in the style of my mexican friends....everything inside. Like chipotle. I really love burritos, I do. Not home made green chilli. Don't make it because the kids wont eat it, but love it too. She said the kids chowed, always a good sign. Happy mothers day everyone.

I went to my hometown and made breakfast for Mom. I got a loaf of nice brioche and sliced it nice and thick. Made the dipping stuff with two eggs, two more yolks, maybe a cup of half-and-half, a good lug of vanilla and a couple shakes of cinnamon. Then I served the toast with fresh raspberries, blueberries and strawberries. Turned out really well and I'll definitely do that again.

Any tips you could pass on, about how you put these beautiful sears on steak? Thanks, looks awesome as always.

No real set method. I usually cook better steaks when I have had 4-5 brews. Makes me think or stress less about over-cooking. I feel I take them off at the right time, every time.

For thicker cuts (1-2"), I would say I go 450F until I see the outside of the steak charred. Then, I flip and do the same to the other side. I then lower the flame (guessing 375F) and let cook for anywhere from 5-6 minutes on each side.

A hat trick of sorts hubby's fresh caught summer flounder, beer battered puffers and grilled mako. Homemade sourdough and steamed broccoli. No pics we just dove in when it was ready.

Heading down to my hometown to cook a birthday lunch for my Mom (yep, her birthday is six days after Mother's Day.) Garlicky, tomatoey grilled shrimp, grilled asparagus, and a spinach/strawberry/pecan salad and some pretzel rolls.

Oh, and I didn't cook it, but at a restaurant the other day they said they had lamb as a special. I ordered it bloody rare (it was fantastic) and the surprise was that it came smothered in buttery fried morels. Holy crap.

Really starting to hit the stride with the sous vide machine. Took a few months and some bland food to get it, but now it's producing some spectacular results.

Grill finished sous vide pork tenderloin, mashed potatoes and green beans.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1495328991.837732.jpg

Also figured out the trick to flawless mashed potatoes after a decade of making mediocre ones... steamed then riced (or food mill).

Really starting to hit the stride with the sous vide machine. Took a few months and some bland food to get it, but now it's producing some spectacular results.

Grill finished sous vide pork tenderloin, mashed potatoes and green beans.
View attachment 401294

Also figured out the trick to flawless mashed potatoes after a decade of making mediocre ones... steamed then riced (or food mill).

No ricer for me, I grew up on lumpy potatoes and that's how I like them!

What electric smoker do you guys use?

Thinking of getting one, since I cannot use the "regular" smoker on my balcony.

I have a 4 rack Digital Bradley. If I were to do it again I would get the regular Bradley and buy an Auber temp controller. I ended up buying the Auber a couple years later as it is more accurate for sausage, fish, ribs, etc.

It is almost set it and forget it compared to charcoal/wood.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007FFYHM0/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_28&products_id=72

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
What electric smoker do you guys use?

Thinking of getting one, since I cannot use the "regular" smoker on my balcony.

I will have to ask my brother the brand of his is completely blanking my mind. The smoker is small though racks of ribs have to be cut in half and one rack fills a shelf. And there are 4 shelves.. I will get back to you.

He personally said he would like to go bigger but this would definitely work on a balcony

Back