What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last edited by a moderator:
Alright internet friends. This seems like the best place to ask... Have you made chilaquiles before? If so, have you used any meat with it? Making them this weekend and can't decide between carne asada and chorizo or some other meat all together. I know meat isn't traditionally used, but I'm gonna be with a large group of meat eaters, so meat will be used haha

Have not been able to cook anything much since I got back from overseas because of painting multiple rooms in the house in parallel :(

I did finally manage to marinate some beef skirt for fajitas last night though! :mug: :)

Looks good, I missed you.

^^I do, i have. Made and also ate a lot of them in my 10 trips to mexico. I don't use a recipe as I am usually not entertaining but cooking hungover. They make them with and without eggs. Also red or green chilli. I would use smoked meat or whatever I had but chorizo or carne or chicken would be nice. I fry the cut up corn tortillas with salt. Then remove and cook egg or cook egg with it. Put that in a dish and top with par cooked meat, maybe some onion, douse with red or green chilli and cheese it. Queso fresco or whatever. And bake till bubbly. Serve with sour cream. Something like this.

http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/chilaquiles-with-fried-eggs

BC44C95B-745E-4250-B02A-DB706A8FA291_zpsptohrqu2.jpg

Pici alla Carbonara. :mug:

Char siu lo mein.

That looks so good, your asian dishes always are beautiful. My new Vietnamese neighbors have been a little recluse, but they showed up with these saturday. With a sweet spicey chilli. They are really good. I need to get in with them better.

View attachment 1495594807615.jpg

That looks so good, your asian dishes always are beautiful. My new Vietnamese neighbors have been a little recluse, but they showed up with these saturday. With a sweet spicey chilli. They are really good. I need to get in with them better.

Vietnamese food is one of the best especially if you like beef noodle soup. A big bowl of Pho is amazing and its a PITA to make correctly.

Get to know them. Invite them over for BBQs and such.....Food is the ultimate icebreaker....We all gotta eat. :D

What electric smoker do you guys use?

Thinking of getting one, since I cannot use the "regular" smoker on my balcony.

I second RevKev's answer. I have the Masterbuilt Electric Smoker (MES) and couldnt be happier. I use it in my backyard, but my friend has one and uses it on his balcony just fine

Vietnamese food is one of the best especially if you like beef noodle soup. A big bowl of Pho is amazing and its a PITA to make correctly.

Get to know them. Invite them over for BBQs and such.....Food is the ultimate icebreaker....We all gotta eat. :D

Love Vietnamese food and cook a big pot of Pho normally about once a month (go out for it in between those times).....simmers for about 6-8 hours but is worth the prep and time when its done. Also love banh xeo, banh beo, nem nuong, Vietnamese beef fondue, etc.....and of course a nice glass of Vietnamese iced coffee.....wife is from Laos so we make a lot of southeast Asian food at home.....between home and relatives'/friends' houses we don't really need to go out for Vietnamese or Thai (rarely go out for Thai because not as good as at home), but it is nice to relax and let someone else do the cooking sometimes. Plus, Vietnamese restaurants are normally so reasonably priced!!

Love Vietnamese food and cook a big pot of Pho normally about once a month (go out for it in between those times).....simmers for about 6-8 hours but is worth the prep and time when its done. Also love banh xeo, banh beo, nem nuong, Vietnamese beef fondue, etc.....and of course a nice glass of Vietnamese iced coffee.....wife is from Laos so we make a lot of southeast Asian food at home.....between home and relatives'/friends' houses we don't really need to go out for Vietnamese or Thai (rarely go out for Thai because not as good as at home), but it is nice to relax and let someone else do the cooking sometimes. Plus, Vietnamese restaurants are normally so reasonably priced!!

Pho is one of the things i seldom make just because it is so time consuming. When my culantro (ngo gai), Thai basil and Vietnamese mint (rau ram) are in good supply i will make a large pot of stock. ATM just my rau ram is ready so im enjoying curry type noodle dishes instead.

It really burns my biscuit when i go to a place that specializes in Vietnamese food and they give me cilantro instead with my bowl of Pho Bo. Oddly one of the best places near me is a Chinese restaurant that is Vietnamese owned. His Pho is top shelf and the herbs are on point.

I cook mostly Korean soups/stews. Its much faster and im addicted to the heat. Plus i make Kimchi at home and save some old kimchi just for Jjiggae. Personally i think mine is as good as any ive tried and it don't cost me $10-$12 a bowl.

Singapore Curry Noodles with Laksa (rau ram) leaves fried tofu and chicken
P1020799_zpsuysmxene.jpg

Laksa with red shrimp and fried tofu
P1020602_zpspdpl0prl.jpg

Kimchi stew though is probably my favorite just because its so simple to make.
P1020301_zps4yexew5o.jpg

I'm guessing these "Puffers" you speak of are NOT Fugu (puffer fish), but what are they?
Regards, GF.

These puffers are from the Atlantic, and I don't know what species, or that of fugu. However, if I recall properly, the venom in fugu is rendered harmless when cooked. The fish monger told another customer it is "chicken of the sea", lol. Puffer is even more tasty deep fried with a beer batter coating.

Edit-- Turns out the toxin is not changed by heat, please enjoy this article: http://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/frightful-fish-tale-doctors-warn-poison-pufferfish-n277591

Last edited:
I recall properly, rthe venom in fugu is rendered harmless when cooked.

I believe you recall incorrectly. TTX is hardly effected by cooking.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3942760/

TTX is both water soluble and heat stable so cooking does not negate its toxicity; rather it increases toxic effect

However the Northen Puffer fish is not toxic except one organ. The flesh is considered safe to eat.

For as often as I use my Weber kettle grill, we almost never have brats. It's not that we don't like them - I guess we just think of brats as what Cookie Monster calls a "sometimes food."

Anyway, I grilled some brats last night along with peppers and onions, and some sliced eggplant. Served the brats on *Uecker voice* a soft Pretzilla pretzel bun. Try 'em, folks! You'll like 'em!

For as often as I use my Weber kettle grill, we almost never have brats. It's not that we don't like them - I guess we just think of brats as what Cookie Monster calls a "sometimes food."

Anyway, I grilled some brats last night along with peppers and onions, and some sliced eggplant. Served the brats on *Uecker voice* a soft Pretzilla pretzel bun. Try 'em, folks! You'll like 'em!

Usingers I hope! Working on a Usingers Beef Summer sausage ATM.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1495977329.221327.jpg Lettuce wraps with Vietnamese style chicken, rice noodles, pickled vegetables, etc. Also sambal oelek fermented from home grown Thai chili peppers.

The chicken was marinated in lemongrass, garlic, ginger, fish sauce, and soy sauce and then grilled. Just a couple of hours is enough time for the marinade.

Did my first ever bacon weave. (There's a pork tenderloin in there.) I cooked the whole thing on the grill with indirect heat. We had thick bacon on hand so it didn't get really crispy, but I bet if I use plain old bacon it'll be awesome.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1495990521.611581.jpg

Back