What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothin' too fancy :D , I just grilled up some Johnsonville steakhouse onion burgers with macaroni & tater salad. Beefsteak tomatoes, burly cut lettuce, smoky horseradish sauce, etc.

Planning on having breakfast for dinner tonight. This happens once or twice a month, usually one with eggs & toast while the other is pancakes/waffles/french toast.

Tossed a big chunk of lightly-seared pork in the slow-cooker with a chopped onion, salt, pepper, star anise, green sichuan pepper, couple dried chilis, half a liter of cola, and some cheap bbq sauce. That was supposed to be pulled and tossed on northwest Chinese style flatbread for last night's dinner until my wife decided to buy two kilograms of huge crawfish and invite a friend who's a chef over to fry em up in the local style, which translates to "oil braised crawfish", or sometimes "oil suffocated crawfish", depending how you write it. Excellent stuff.

The BBQ sandwiches were better than anticipated. The meat came out well, but the real coup was the bread. It's cooked in these big (maybe 2 feet in diameter), 2-3 inch thick wheels, with a crispy crust, big soda bread type leavening that springs back into shape no matter how much you compress it, and just a little bit of bread flavor to complement the fillings. Cut lengthwise so there's crust on either side of the sandwich, toasted in the oven for a few minutes, and filled with slow-cooked pulled pork, chopped red onions, and some barbecue sauce, the sandwiches were incredible. Unfortunately, the wife couldn't get her mouth around the bread and doesn't do raw onions (left them out and lost a dimension of her sandwich), so she wasn't as into hers. Fortunately, there's enough meat for two more days worth of these things, so we'll grab some crappy white bread for hers and more of this northwestern bread for mine and have easy, delicious dinners for the next couple days. We've got this pact between us that enjoying our dinner is less important than having a quick answer to the eternal on-the-way-home-from-work question "what are we going to have for dinner tonight?" so if she isn't totally into it, at least dinner's taken care of.

I just cut up a BIG Foster Farms .99/pound chicken and it's now languishing in a bath of buttermilk, Louisiana hot sauce, salt, pepper, and sage. In a few hours, I'll dredge it in seasoned flour, then shallow-fry in peanut oil in my 12" cast iron fry pan. Some sweet potato fries with Ranch dressing and an ear of fresh white corn slathered in butter, plus a nice homebrew, should do the job!

The cats were thrilled because that special chicken had THREE hearts.

Rabbit and artichoke paella, low carb using cauliflower instead of rice. Baked a whole rabbit on low heat for a few hours then picked off the meat and collected the juices.

SH101341.JPG

13478_10153473458237697_7278847486755917925_n.jpg

SH101342.JPG

SH101344.JPG

Rabbit and artichoke paella, low carb using cauliflower instead of rice. Baked a whole rabbit on low heat for a few hours then picked off the meat and collected the juices.

I tried hitting 'like" a bunch of times, but it doesn't work.

Great idea using cauliflower instead of rice. And I haven't had rabbit in years. I should make a concerted effort to hunt this winter, but growing up we only hunted rabbits with a rabbit dog. I'm not even sure how to hunt them without one.

I should build a pen and raise some.

I tried hitting 'like" a bunch of times, but it doesn't work.

Great idea using cauliflower instead of rice. And I haven't had rabbit in years. I should make a concerted effort to hunt this winter, but growing up we only hunted rabbits with a rabbit dog. I'm not even sure how to hunt them without one.

I should build a pen and raise some.

I just buy them in the supermarket and throw them in the freezer.

Yep, I always use cauliflower instead of rice when making paella. It's probably even better tasting.

I just buy them in the supermarket and throw them in the freezer.

Yep, I always use cauliflower instead of rice when making paella. It's probably even better tasting.

I've had paella at a couple of beer festivals. Good stuff. Of course I was also somewhat "glassy eyed" when I ate it, but other than the rice was slightly undercooked (They were REALLY busy!) it was really good.

I don't have a paella pan, so I'd have to fake it with a wok or something.

Actually, we should just use our wok more often anyway. I like chinese type foods and don't eat enough of it.

Made schnitzel last night, there was a salad as well
rJKkkGk.jpg

Also made a pork vindaloo tonight, a more proper one rather than the british indian variation

Dry spices, blitzed - kashmiri chillies, cumin, mustard seeds, cinnamon bark, cloves, cardamom, peppercorns
yrj29vy.jpg

YZcbjaE.jpg

pork marinading - added some salt, cider vinegar, eight cloves garlin, thumb of ginger and coconut milk
dsvkqLb.jpg

chopped onion fried and another couple of whole chillies. The onion is the only veg
all added and into the cooker for an hour, with some chicken stock
9UjKPSW.jpg

the rotis - self raising flour, salt, yoghurt and some water. Cooked on the bakestone then charred on the wok hob, bit of butter on top

0QzG4As.jpg

made some cucumber and mint raita to go with it. some really **** presentation
hCVAMJG.jpg

Recommended

recipe? looks awesome

It's quick fried corn tortillas dipped in refried beans, black in this case, and sprinkled with queso fresco. Super simple but if the beans are good it's grear. I've seen people put a sunny side up egg and/or salsa on them as well.

It's quick fried corn tortillas dipped in refried beans, black in this case, and sprinkled with queso fresco. Super simple but if the beans are good it's grear. I've seen people put a sunny side up egg and/or salsa on them as well.

Next time I do my pinto beans this is it my friend. Thanks. I love simple peasant type dishes and I can taste this one already. Cheers!!

Edit: I'm thinking a few slices of avocado sprinkled with salt on the side. Oh boy I'm making beans this weekend.

Next time I do my pinto beans this is it my friend. Thanks. I love simple peasant type dishes and I can taste this one already. Cheers!!

Edit: I'm thinking a few slices of avocado sprinkled with salt on the side. Oh boy I'm making beans this weekend.

Yeah sometimes simple done well is the best, I can get a lot of meals out of a good pot of beans.

Yeah sometimes simple done well is the best, I can get a lot of meals out of a good pot of beans.

Me too - love them! I eat low cal every other day, and usually it's beans and rice for dinner. I cook up 3 pounds of dried beans, varying the type - one time it's pintos, next time black beans, next time borlottis, etc. - and cook up 4 cups of short-grain brown rice, usually with a couple packets of Sazon in there - then portion all the stuff out and freeze it. I have meals for a couple weeks that way, for KOTC and me.

I also make a vat of salsa, either pico de gallo or a blended salsa, and I'll tell ya - no better eats than to put a little scoop of that flavored rice in a bowl, add a cup of the beans, heat, add a few tablespoons of that salsa and mix 'er all up. Haven't gotten tired of it yet!

Me too - love them! I eat low cal every other day, and usually it's beans and rice for dinner. I cook up 3 pounds of dried beans, varying the type - one time it's pintos, next time black beans, next time borlottis, etc. - and cook up 4 cups of short-grain brown rice, usually with a couple packets of Sazon in there - then portion all the stuff out and freeze it. I have meals for a couple weeks that way, for KOTC and me.

I also make a vat of salsa, either pico de gallo or a blended salsa, and I'll tell ya - no better eats than to put a little scoop of that flavored rice in a bowl, add a cup of the beans, heat, add a few tablespoons of that salsa and mix 'er all up. Haven't gotten tired of it yet!

Beans are versatile, cheap and delicious what's not to love? My refried beans are cooked in bacon fat so not healthy but they are tasty.

Beans are versatile, cheap and delicious what's not to love? My refried beans are cooked in bacon fat so not healthy but they are tasty.

I think bacon fat is a perfectly healthy choice! At least your body knows what to DO with it, unlike some of the highly-refined and processed fats that are being touted as healthful. [rant off]

I made some bacon-wrapped hot dogs again. Also made another pan of my bbq pinto beans with bacon & green onions to go with'em.

Smoked a turkey last night. Pictured with some collards (cooked with bacon, onion, and green apple finished with apple cider vinegar), squash relish, and some spend grain bread.

@ChefRex I took a page out of your book and used wort instead of water for the bread. Not sure why I didn't think of it before because it turned out fantastic!

smoked turkey and bread plate.jpg

No pics, but lucked into a trip to a restaurant supply store.

Came out with a kilo of basil, a big pork shoulder to smoke this weekend and a bunch of other goodies. Made a bunch of pesto for freezing for quick dinners. Made a crock pot full of turkey stock and a stock pot full of smoked meat broth to make room in the freezer.

Have a bunch of pintos soaking for dinner tonight; will be combining with the smoke broth and some frozen leftover meat.

For dinner last night, had pork chops with a side of sunchoke, celariac root and apple slaw.

A tip/bit of advice for those that BBQ - my last pork butt, I used soaked pecan shells for the smoking medium. The taste is a bit acrid, and while it didn't afect the taste too much overall, you could tell if you got a nice piece of the bark. I won't be using them again.

Now, corn-cobs on the other hand, are a great smoking medium! Just save them after you & yours have finished gnawing the kernels off.

:)

Coffee...transitioning to kombucha soon. Just put a batch in the fridge. Bought another dispenser yesterday, so I could have one in the fridge and 3 fermenting, so I won't run out. SWMBO doesn't like all these things fermenting around the kitchen...beer, cider, bootch, sauerkraut. Oh well.
Inside the 24 hour surgery zone (nose)...no beer for awhile.

Latest posts

Back