What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BBQ!!!

*drool*

Made it for a friend's birthday party. Should be killer.

BTW - think outside the box for BBQ-smoking material. I have now used corn-cobs, pecan shells, carrots, & a few other things.

I cannot speak for gratis, but my trick for perfect fries - I don't double cook like some recommend (I think they come out too greasy that way) but I take them for one long, slow fry. Cut the potatoes evenly, then put them in hot oil. Back off the temp to where the potatoes are just giving off moisture and hold that temp for 35-40 minutes. When the moisture starts running low & there aren't many bubbles coming out of the fries, jack the heat up to high and brown them to your preference.

And PLEASE - salt/season them as soon as they come out of the oil, and DON'T use kosher salt. The grains are too large.

It depends, best is double fry, first at 150, then 185(celcius), but you can also just boil them in skin, then just cut them up and fry hot.

Best, for me:
Take good potatoes(bintje).
cut to decent strips, 1cm square.
put in salted water for 30 mins, then drain and rinse well.
dry and prefry for 4 minutes at 150c (300F), drain of fat and rest on kitchenpaper.
when cooled down, put fryer on 190C (375F) and quickly fry till golden-brown in small portions, salt immediately out of fryer.

I hate to focus on a side dish with a beautiful piece of meat on the plate, but those fries look perfectly done. What was your process?

Well, those are actually frozen fries from Walmart. :eek: I just pop them in the oven, but I bake 'em 5* hotter than the instructions call for, and for a few minutes longer. Sometimes I'll hit them with the broiler for a couple minutes to crisp 'em up. I do the same with TaterTots. The seasoning is a combination of Cavender's Greek seasoning mix, black pepper & a bit of thyme and/or oregano. Season as soon as they come out of the oven or else it won't stick very well.

I do make fries from scratch, just not very often. When I do, I cut them & immediately place the cut taters in cold, salted water with a couple dashes of lemon juice added. You won't be able to taste the lemon juice & the acid in it will keep your taters from turning dark. Leave the skins on, lots of flavor in the skins.

I guess that sammie should be called a BOLT! Looks great. He cooked is bacon at too high a temp and burned it, though. :(

Cuban bread would probably work well with that. Like a Po Boy with bacon. Used Duke's mayo...like a good Southerner should!

Even oysters are better with bacon! The roasted garlic mayo is easy & good. Melted brie sounded & looked decadent. I need one right now!

SG's eating stance demonstrated with his new love, bbq baked beans. We had to give him a bath right after dinner this time.

BTW, there were no beans left for his mother and I. hehe.

IMG_1817.jpg

So, SessionableGoodness has been told by the pediatrician to get more protein in his diet. He made it pretty clear that he no longer wants chicken liver, and the idea of "meat puree" doesn't sound very appetizing... so I looked to tofu.

I made a carrot, ginger and tofu soup with curry powder (maybe the second time Ive cooked with curry powder), and ran the whole thing through the Cuisinart until it was nice and creamy-smooth. My son ate an adult-sized portion, and tried to eat more even though he was full. Success I think!

Best part is the corresponding diaper should be coming while I am at work. Poor nanny is making her wages today...

Please I'm trying to eat:D

Seems everybody has been talking about the gorgeous steak and the mouthwatering fries, but I think the Okra looks awesome too! How did you prepare that?

I just opened a can & heated it up. :eek:
http://margaretholmes.com/products/tomatoes-and-okra/

I've never seen fresh okra in the stores here, but I get it in the can or frozen. My absolute favorite way to eat okra is breaded & fried, with a little gravy over it; but a good gumbo is a close 2nd.
Regards, GF.

I had some chicken & onions that I needed to use before they went bad, so I made a version of cashew chicken. Boneless, skinless chicken thighs, sweet yellow onion, crimini mushrooms, 1/2 a can of coconut milk, fresh ginger, garlic, fresh ground black pepper, sweet basil, roasted unsalted cashews, a few dashes of soy sauce & a squirt of rooster sauce.

Served it up with Thai jasmine rice, used chicken stock instead of water, added 2 bay leaves, a good sprinkle of chicken bullion & a bit of dark sesame oil. 1st pic is the chicken & such in the wok, 2nd is plated...
Sorry about the poor lighting. :eek:
Regards, GF.

may2015a 012a1.jpg

may2015a 013a1.jpg

Those beans I made yesterday came out really good. Heated a seasoned, cast iron skillet to "4" on the stove dial. The a chopped bit of smoked bacon. When that was about done, I added one bunch of chopped green onions & cooked till thin sliced white parts just started to go translucent. Then drained half the liquor off of 4 cans of pinto beans & added them. Stir to combine, then add 1C of Sweet Baby Ray's honey bbq sauce & stir that in. Simmer 20 minutes or so before serving. Good flavor from the onions & bacon combining with a more natural flavor from the bean liquor & the bbq sauce.
Smoked bacon wrapped hot dogs on a broiler pan 3rd notch down from the top. Broiled for 18 minutes. Gotta get the camera in the kitchen before I start next time. Seasoned cast iron works really well for this kinda stuff! Washed it down with w Leinenkugel's canoe paddler-kolsch with a lil rye malt.

I'd love the recipe for that bread if you wouldn't mind posting it! It looks AWESOME. In fact that whole meal does.

Here you go! The bread is great for wraps etc, and as simple as can be.

http://cooklikeajamaican.com/jamaican-coco-bread-recipe-video/

The chicken was a guy fieri recipe, I'm not normally a fan of his but this one looked like a winner. The only thing I'd change for next time is I messed up and brined it too long. Four hours shold be the max, two is probably better. It came out saltier than I would have liked.

Enjoy!

I made 8 pounds of pork BBQ over Friday morning-to-afternoon. Took 14 hours to smoke it.

It took 18 people less than an hour to finish it off.

:eek:

Just put a chicken on the grill... Also roasting some beets and cooking the beet greens. That and a nice salad and I am happy.

KOTC is making a big "everything but the kitchen sink" salad while I make some Argentinian red shrimp with melted butter. Pretty sure a homebrew will also be consumed. We have several from which to choose!

Had a few more leftover ingredients from the cashew chicken, so I used them up by making a soup. Butternut squash, 1/2 a can of coconut milk, fresh ginger, dried ginger powder, fresh lime juice, a dash of fish sauce, a couple shakes of soy sauce, a pinch of sweet basil & a bit of fresh ground black pepper. You can't see it, but there's about a cup of leftover Thai jasmine rice in the soup. It doesn't look like much, but I thought it was tasty.
Regards, GF.

may2015a 015a1.jpg

I made pot-roast for my mom today. Slow-braised a blade-roast for a couple hours, made gravy, had mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, corn, yeast rolls, and then finished with ice cream for dessert.

Dodging heavy lightning heavy rain and occasional tornado storms here tonight. So of course I am cooking outside [emoji1]. 4 hours ago
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1431310686.105384.jpg
25 minutes later
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1431310724.878774.jpg
Added in the trinity
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1431310777.731860.jpg
Added in precooked andouille, chicken, and de-spiderwebbed okra
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1431310858.426604.jpg
Added in tomatoes, home made chicken stock, spiced and such, then cooked about 3 more hours
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1431310957.586055.jpg
Now two pounds of gulf shrimp in a few minutes and gumbo is ready!

Been a while since I posted here... Haven't had any occasions to fire up the smoker, and haven't had any particular inspiration to do sous vide.

But I just got a kamado grill, so I've been all about it. And today being Mother's Day, I had a duty to feed the family.

Nothing too fancy. Burgers, and grilled portobello with a light caprese on top. Everything (including the take & bake rolls) done on the grill, except of course the salad!

View attachment 1431316260625.jpg

View attachment 1431316280412.jpg

Tossed a big chunk of lightly-seared pork in the slow-cooker with a chopped onion, salt, pepper, star anise, green sichuan pepper, couple dried chilis, half a liter of cola, and some cheap bbq sauce. That was supposed to be pulled and tossed on northwest Chinese style flatbread for last night's dinner until my wife decided to buy two kilograms of huge crawfish and invite a friend who's a chef over to fry em up in the local style, which translates to "oil braised crawfish", or sometimes "oil suffocated crawfish", depending how you write it. Excellent stuff.

Been a while since I posted here... Haven't had any occasions to fire up the smoker, and haven't had any particular inspiration to do sous vide.

But I just got a kamado grill, so I've been all about it. And today being Mother's Day, I had a duty to feed the family.

Nothing too fancy. Burgers, and grilled portobello with a light caprese on top. Everything (including the take & bake rolls) done on the grill, except of course the salad!

Those mushrooms just look fantastic! :mug:

Back