What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's Bastille Day here so the wife and I are doing traditional French country meal. Aperitif is corn chips with a nice Pico de Gallo and guacamole. Entrée will be cantaloupe (French melons) with prosciutto. Main course is smoked pork shoulders and ribs, with pinto beans and a corn, bell pepper and squash casserole. Followed up with a legit traditional cheese plate and chocolate cake with pear chunks. .
We will serve a dry sparkling wine for the ladies and Scotch for the men.. I'm serving a local 2021 red wine with dinner and a 2016 heartier wine with the cheese. Bon appetite.
20220714_133739.jpg

It's Bastille Day here so the wife and I are doing traditional French country meal. Aperitif is corn chips with a nice Pico de Gallo and guacamole. Entrée will be cantaloupe (French melons) with prosciutto. Main course is smoked pork shoulders and ribs, with pinto beans and a corn, bell pepper and squash casserole. Followed up with a legit traditional cheese plate and chocolate cake with pear chunks. .
We will serve a dry sparkling wine for the ladies and Scotch for the men.. I'm serving a local 2021 red wine with dinner and a 2016 heartier wine with the cheese. Bon appetite.View attachment 774857
I believe my invitation went amiss in the mail??

Looks and sounds great!

HOLY COW, Merry! I'm pretty sure my husband just ran out the door and is on his way to your house - those are his favorite mushrooms. They're beautiful! And I'm sure delicious. Are those from a kit?
Thanks, yes a kit. We are going to be eating plenty of shrooms this coming week! Even the stems are pretty tender.
B37981D5-66B4-4B1C-ADD2-E9CD266439C9.jpeg
Mushroom, onion and orange bell pepper with mozzarella omelette and the last of the home baked beer sourdough toast for brunch today.

I'm done trying to smoke ribs here. They are too lean, and it's almost impossible to get French people to eat them without a knife and fork. But the shoulder roasts make perfect pulled pork.

In St Cloud (near Paris), my French buddy Franc ate a cheeseburger with a fork and knife. Made me laugh. It was something we bought at a gas station.

Dang Merry - you been on a roll! Not much exciting here right now hence no photos but eventually I'll get around to it. Just too hot to cook!
Thanks, I was starting to think it’s just too damned hot to cook anywhere or my mushroom aspic thing was too weird and awful sounding... well, that’s probably true!😉

LOL on the aspic! Probably not something I'd make but I'm not a fan of any type of "Jello" sort of thing. Don't know that I've ever tried aspic though. Glad you like it in any event!
Truthfully it wasn’t good enough to make again, meatless head cheese, lol.
9EE8E3BA-C60D-4B09-A083-799A350C564E.jpeg

EFD758C3-D7F8-49C1-B5B6-A434A98FAD9A.jpeg
Nothing like a home cooked rotisserie chicken with the ordinary sides.

Hamburger tonight. Stuffed with cheese and yellow peppers. Bit of coleslaw underneath, siracha + pickle and whatever else fell out of the refrigerator sauce on top. Extra cheese and bacon.

Sous vide for 45min at 56°C and then a minute in the pan each side. Incredibly juicy.
Mosaic cryo pale ale to wash it down.

burger.jpg

Al Pastor. Our Latino market sells the pork already marinated pretty cheap so i thought i would try this oven version.
https://www.seriouseats.com/tacos-al-pastor-recipe
3lbs of meat in a bread pan. Slow cook at 250-275F for 3-4 hours. When its done take it out too cool. When its cool put it back in the fridge. The next day it can be pulled out to crisp it up. Flip the loaf out of the pan on to a carving tray reserving any juice you want. Just slice off however much you want from the loaf. Im going to crisp mine up in the air fryer tomorrow.
s9LnAyH.jpg

Back