What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
clever idea.
I've been subscribing to the low-carb way of thinking for 25 years or so? Something like that.
If someone were to compare how they and their body feels after a couple of slices of turkey with green beans for a meal versus eating a big bowl of Cap'n Crunch with milk, it should be a slam dunk as to which way one should go.
The food conglomerates are not on the consumer's side, that's for sure.
I would agree that flour carbohydrates are not for me. I eat them but not very much. Pasta is awesome but I get bloated. My body seems well trained on meat potato and various veggies and beer. I don't get bloated with beer maybe since it's half digested already.

We have the day off today so I’ve got a pot of spaghetti simmering for dinner, and hopefully enough for leftovers later.

A8C16A1C-E9A0-42D7-BB2E-70747CE32CA3.jpeg

Why do they have to be so delicious? Why couldn't they taste like plain tofu or something? Eating moderate amounts of potatoes or corn is a pipe dream for me so I will eat them once in a while. With potatoes, I will eat just that for the whole meal.

Why do they have to be so delicious? Why couldn't they taste like plain tofu or something? Eating moderate amounts of potatoes or corn is a pipe dream for me so I will eat them once in a while. With potatoes, I will eat just that for the whole meal.
Really underated and versatile tuber. Of course the home grown are far superior than the commercial farm. It's my go-to for my carbohydrate.

Started my starter on the Wednesday before the ice storm hit north Texas. By Friday it was in wonderful shape, so I made my first sourdough loaf during the day Friday and baked it yesterday. I am very pleased how it turned out and can't wait to do it again and again. Flavor was just amazing.
View attachment 759437View attachment 759438
That’s a beautiful loaf! Are you sure it’s your first? ;)

That’s a beautiful loaf! Are you sure it’s your first? ;)
Thanks. Means a lot given how perfect the one you just posted looks!! I love the crumb on your most recent one, since it is very open yet very even with no huge bubbles. Very nicely done!

I have made bread a few times, and a ton of pizza doughs, and I even created a starter once before, and I can't remember what happened to it. I think I just neglected it in the fridge and finally washed it away down the drain. So this is the first real loaf of sourdough. I have a lot to learn about scoring, but at least my relief cut did what it was supposed to! :) I did a Jalapeno Cheddar loaf a while back that I posted here and I want to give that a try as a sourdough loaf.

Thanks. Means a lot given how perfect the one you just posted looks!! I love the crumb on your most recent one, since it is very open yet very even with no huge bubbles. Very nicely done!

I have made bread a few times, and a ton of pizza doughs, and I even created a starter once before, and I can't remember what happened to it. I think I just neglected it in the fridge and finally washed it away down the drain. So this is the first real loaf of sourdough. I have a lot to learn about scoring, but at least my relief cut did what it was supposed to! :) I did a Jalapeno Cheddar loaf a while back that I posted here and I want to give that a try as a sourdough loaf.
I was just teasing a little I’ve seen your posts on the bread thread… transferable skills. Have you noticed that one large opening is heart shaped? “We love you too, sourdough!” Have a great weekend.

I did that last night with a 2.44 pound rib steak or small prime rib, however you prefer to look at it! It was Piedmontese beef from the local market. KOTC and I agreed, it was the BEST steak we ever ate.

Sous vide to 135*, hard sear the fat edge first for 2 minutes, then 2 minutes each side, in a cast iron skillet. Pictures? I don't got no stinkin' pictures... LOL!

I love a good Porterhouse too - I'd have loved that one, Merry!

Oh I'm not disparaging the Funyons at all - we just finished watching Breaking Bad again and it struck me funny, since Funyons were an integral part of Jesse's diet!
OMG, we were talking last night about maybe binging Breaking Bad again! (it's a sign we are so old). It's only a matter of time before we binge Lost again, and play like we don't remember the ending, just because it was SO DAMN GOOD!! lol
ymmv

You can always keg your dark stuff and condition it in the keg before putting on tap. I pretty much keg, age, and lager everything in kegs except for my Bretted & Wild stuff
View attachment 759838View attachment 759837
Liver (cooked medium) and onions with leftover Mac n cheese, and greens. While beef vegetable barley simmers.
The beef vegetable barley just looks amazing!
Looks delicious. I think I prefer barley, in beef soup or stew, over pasta or rice. Does anyone remember Campbell’s Scotch Broth? When I was a kid it was my favorite soup. It’s a shame that they don’t sell it anymore.

Looks delicious. I think I prefer barley, in beef soup or stew, over pasta or rice. Does anyone remember Campbell’s Scotch Broth? When I was a kid it was my favorite soup. It’s a shame that they don’t sell it anymore.
Thanks, I don’t recall that soup, probably since mom mostly bought chicken noodle and tomato. I know not many people are fans of liver and onions (hubby hates it, so it not very often that I have it) likely because most are overcooked dried out and pasty, which is why I cook it medium. Anyway it hit the spot, The soup is rich and beefy tasting.

Thanks, I don’t recall that soup, probably since mom mostly bought chicken noodle and tomato. I know not many people are fans of liver and onions (hubby hates it, so it not very often that I have it) likely because most are overcooked dried out and pasty, which is why I cook it medium. Anyway it hit the spot, The soup is rich and beefy tasting.
Even as a kid I liked liver and onions. My friends all thought I was weird. Still do. :D

not many people are fans of liver and onions
Looks good, like steak. We had liver and onions all the time growing up, only cooked well-done though and sometimes it wasn't tough. To this day, I'm not sure how I feel about it. I always ate it because it's what was for dinner.
About what is the price per pound these days?

Back