What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A Facebook page I am a member of has an annual cooking challenge that incorporates a must use list of ingredients and wild mushrooms.
Game hen ballotine with black trumpets, cheezit crusted cauliflower, roasted grapes, red pear and fennel, plum sauce, and sage leaf crisps.

Attachments

• gamehen challenge.jpg
    gamehen challenge.jpg
    945.3 KB · Views: 4
I am a simple ND hillbilly what is it. Looks like meatballs and sauce. Looks great.
Well yeah, basically. It's Italian meatballs that you cook by letting them simmer in tomato sauce made with some ricotta (or neutral creeme cheese) and a little parmesan cheese, and a dash of red wine. Best served with tagliatelle.

If those pizzas taste as good as they look they're better than any pizza I can buy around here. I miss NY pizza!!

I spent my first 18 years on LI, moved away in '98. Been wandering the diaspora long enough to have found delicious pizza here or there. Sometimes NY-style, oftentimes some other style. Different, but delicious in its own right.

Never have I missed NY pizza more than the last couple years while living in St. Louis. If anybody has some secret knowledge about where to get a good pie around here, I am all ears. NY-style preferred of course. Racanelli's, Dewey's, not so much. Don't make the grade. Some other style ok as long as it's delicious! Imo's, ugh.

On the other hand, for any NYers visiting STL jonesing for some Chinese food: I'm pleased to suggest Sesame on Watson.

The ol stove really takes a beating when making bacon.
Food looks great. I am inspired to cook gravy now.
You could line the raw bacon strips on parchment, middle rack in oven at 375°F or something around there (higher or lower) and no spattering. The grease can still be reclaimed easily enough. I make a pound or two at a time, put them in the freezer on a tray so they freeze individually. Store them in containers for whenever.

I spent my first 18 years on LI, moved away in '98. Been wandering the diaspora long enough to have found delicious pizza here or there. Sometimes NY-style, oftentimes some other style. Different, but delicious in its own right.

Never have I missed NY pizza more than the last couple years while living in St. Louis. If anybody has some secret knowledge about where to get a good pie around here, I am all ears. NY-style preferred of course. Racanelli's, Dewey's, not so much. Don't make the grade. Some other style ok as long as it's delicious! Imo's, ugh.

On the other hand, for any NYers visiting STL jonesing for some Chinese food: I'm pleased to suggest Sesame on Watson.
I have no recommendation for you, but growing up on LI, and attending college in Nebraska I understand what you are going through. I just eventually (in the last 10 years) resolved to not get pizza when traveling. There was one placed that opened when I was in college in the Old Market Omaha that sold “NY” pizza and the place was named Satin’s Pizza LOL. The crust wasn’t quite right but it was pretty close. They even sold it by the slice, but out of business long ago. Good luck on your quest.

Food looks great. I am inspired to cook gravy now.
You could line the raw bacon strips on parchment, middle rack in oven at 375°F or something around there (higher or lower) and no spattering. The grease can still be reclaimed easily enough. I make a pound or two at a time, put them in the freezer on a tray so they freeze individually. Store them in containers for whenever.

Oven bacon is my general process, but to me the gravy is just a few notches better with not only the grease but all the brown bits from cooking in the skillet.

I cook up six pounds of bacon at a time in the oven. Let it all cool completely, put into a gallon freezer ziploc baggie and into the freezer it goes. So nice to just haul out a couple slices when you need/want them!

Just finished making my second pot of taco soup in a week. It's been on the cool side here and hot soup for lunch is just so good! Doesn't look like much but it's sure tasty.
42325CC3-3928-4E7A-BAA8-F94A0D68D198.jpeg

So nice to just haul out a couple slices when you need/want them!
Six pounds is pro-level. My procedure is real similar. I eat more bacon that way which is fine with me. I was always a medium-done bacon but there is something to be said for when it gets real crispy and eating it with some scrambled eggs. I use ketchup, which I'm told is not that usual.
Soup looks lovely though soup's hard to make appealing no matter how appealing it is--that's what I think, anyway. Are the toppings for that going to be sour cream and cheese, maybe served with tortilla chips? I'm a little hungry.

LOL David, yes, chips - we like cassava "tortilla chips" as they are pretty close to the real thing, which for keto-eating people, is big! Cassava is good for your gut microbiome too.

The soup has cream cheese, cheddar cheese, and cream and cilantro in it so we don't usually top it but having some chips on the side is nice.

LOL David, yes, chips - we like cassava "tortilla chips" as they are pretty close to the real thing, which for keto-eating people, is big! Cassava is good for your gut microbiome too.

The soup has cream cheese, cheddar cheese, and cream and cilantro in it so we don't usually top it but having some chips on the side is nice.
That sounds real, real nice. I had to look up "cassava." Would be something my wife would buy.
Once in a while I'll take the psyllium husk powder and then combat that with probiotics and the Kefir which tastes like liquid sour cream which I have no problem with that flavor.
Are you staying away from all big carbs or just mostly?

All carbs? Pretty difficult for those in these forums.
Well, that's true enough! I didn't think about that. I suppose I was referring to food, maybe.
I'm still amazed, though I've known it for a long time, that hard liquor has zero carbs. That is either a blessing or a curse.

I'm still amazed, though I've known it for a long time, that hard liquor has zero carbs. That is either a blessing or a curse.

A blessing and a curse? Depends...Zero carbs... I use it as a blessing for short term, and not long lasting, weight loss. And as to curse, for better or worse, I drink all alcoholic beverages at what I call beer speed. So I try not to drink hard liquor, and I'm even careful with wine.

I love my beer. I'll always be carb challenged.

beer speed.
I get the meaning of beer speed--it's a logical amount, something that can be tracked. Hard liquor? Not so much. Luckily, I don't like the taste of hard liquor in any form or wine for that matter (I just don't get wine).
I'm a carb consuming time bomb just waiting to go off so I take the necessary precautions. Strangely, if there are donuts or brownies or chocolate chip cookies but no milk, they are all completely safe. I handle other carbs by never keeping them in the house.
Once every month or so, I'll explode and have a pizza.

Well yeah, basically. It's Italian meatballs that you cook by letting them simmer in tomato sauce made with some ricotta (or neutral creeme cheese) and a little parmesan cheese, and a dash of red wine. Best served with tagliatelle.
Fancy name for meatballs😆. I do meatballs with straight cream and a can of mushroom soup. Paired with mashed taters. Coming up soon daughter has been asking.

Once every month or so, I'll explode and have a pizza.

Pizza, what a treat! 15 years ago my lovely bride was diagnosed as not being able to consume grains, not only wheat, but pretty much everything. We went from eating pasta 3 times a week to...never. She's so much healthier than before the diagnosis so it's eminently worth it. I grew up in an Italian household so I still miss my pasta. I make sure to get my pasta fix in whenever we go out to dinner.

Last edited:
Sunday breakfast consisting of bacon, gravy made from said bacon drippings, and some sunny side up eggs. Not pictured: canned biscuits because I haven’t mastered home made yet.

The ol stove really takes a beating when making bacon.
Bacon gravy. Looks delicious. Probably a heart attack on a plate but looks darned good. What’s your recipe and procedure? Might give it a try when the wife isn’t around to pester me…

Bacon gravy. Looks delicious. Probably a heart attack on a plate but looks darned good. What’s your recipe and procedure? Might give it a try when the wife isn’t around to pester me…

It’s certainly not for the cholesterol aware folks lol. It’s definitely more of a technique than a recipe but I’ll try.

1. Cook bacon
2. Discard grease until there’s just a small amount enough to cover the bottom of the skillet probably less than 1/8” deep.
3. With heat on medium or so add flower and wisk together until a good slurry forms. You don’t want it too dry and start clumping so I add the flour slowly.
4. Once a good slurry has formed and all brown bits are scraped up off the bottom, start adding milk. It will thicken fairly quickly so don’t be too shy with the milk. If I was guessing I’d say I usually use around a cup or so.
5. Salt and pepper to taste and enjoy over biscuits.

Are you staying away from all big carbs or just mostly?

We went low carb years ago, and then mostly keto about 4 years ago - so no grains to speak of, although we do the occasional sushi meal out. Yesterday I was out to lunch with a friend at a restaurant he recommended and I did eat some good Mexican food! But for the most part - nope. The carbs we eat are avocados, lots of good leafy greens, cauliflower, broccoli - you get the idea. AND plenty of high quality meats! Since I'm a carnivore at heart this works nicely.

There are many substitutions for things we miss - I made a big pan of lasagna a couple weeks back and I used deli-sliced turkey breast instead of noodles, the rest is pretty low carb as is. It was delicious.

Grandkid then daughter here yesterday after school, and you know the drill. Cheese for my wife and the grandkid, pepperoni, Italian sausage, and Calabrian chilies for me and the daughter. Grandkid ate 4 pieces of the cheese!!! Sent 3 pieces home with them for my son in-law. A good time was had by all. Note that only the cheese pizza got that cheap parmesan cheese as you can tell :)
IMG_7702D.JPG

IMG_7699D.JPG

Saw the recipe requests. I will post the recipe as soon as I update it to reflect what I really do. I am nowhere close to what the recipe says anymore! I will very soon. I'm cooking these in a 14" cutter pan on a preheated pizza steel, By the way.

[QUOTE="Staestc, post: 9236308, member: Cheese for my wife and the grandkid, pepperoni, Italian sausage, and Calabrian chilies for me and the daughter.
[/QUOTE]
Your pizzas look amazing!

I made a big pan of lasagna a couple weeks back and I used deli-sliced turkey breast instead of noodles
clever idea.
I've been subscribing to the low-carb way of thinking for 25 years or so? Something like that.
If someone were to compare how they and their body feels after a couple of slices of turkey with green beans for a meal versus eating a big bowl of Cap'n Crunch with milk, it should be a slam dunk as to which way one should go.
The food conglomerates are not on the consumer's side, that's for sure.

Latest posts

Back