What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh man Travis! That looks just like the jalapeño cheese loaves that Costco used to make in their bakery - no doubt yours is BETTER! :) They quit making them, probably a good thing for me. It's a no-go on Keto!
Thanks. It was really nice. I will certainly make it again!

Szechuan-style salt & pepper shrimp. Delicious and simple.

IMG_20200418_194043_081.jpg

Two pound chicken breast trimmed of excess fat.
Sous Vide with a quarter stick of butter and a buttload of herbs, salt, pepper
and just a bit of key lime juice.
151 degrees for three hours.
Now, that chicken has had a rough morning so I’m letting her rest for a while.

Gonna be good eating tonight!

Shakshuka. 1st time ever having this, no clue on authenticity of taste, but I would definitely make it again. Spicy simmered tomato and veggies, eggs poached in the simmering mix. Nice 1-pot breakfast! Thinking this would be a good base for fish.
View attachment 676462 View attachment 676463
My son just made this last week. Same for us, never had it before, first time. It was good!

Used my wet spent grains (English dark crystal and English medium crystal), a 50/50 mix totalling 0.5 lbs, to make several goodies. 2 batches of molasses honey vanila pancakes, 5 dozen oatmeal choc chip cookies, one pizza, and a loaf of oatmeal cinnamon raisin sweet bread. All turned out delicious and so glad I put them to good use as always. I usually dry my spent grains, sometimes making spent grain flour, or just adding a bit to my usual breakfast smoothie.

Extract brewing has a small amount of grains to make it all worthwhile and rewarding, as compared to all-grain brewing, where the quantity would be overwhelming. But maybe not for those non-stop round-the-clock bakers who continuously drink home brew while eating their spent grain creations. Lol.

Used my wet spent grains (English dark crystal and English medium crystal), a 50/50 mix totalling 0.5 lbs, to make several goodies. 2 batches of molasses honey vanila pancakes, 5 dozen oatmeal choc chip cookies, one pizza, and a loaf of oatmeal cinnamon raisin sweet bread. All turned out delicious and so glad I put them to good use as always. I usually dry my spent grains, sometimes making spent grain flour, or just adding a bit to my usual breakfast smoothie.

Extract brewing has a small amount of grains to make it all worthwhile and rewarding, as compared to all-grain brewing, where the quantity would be overwhelming. But maybe not for those non-stop round-the-clock bakers who continuously drink home brew while eating their spent grain creations. Lol.
DOH! I won an extract kit with steeping grains and brewed it this weekend. I wasn't thinking when I tossed the grain to the chickens but steeping grains really do make the best bread additions. I could kick myself :smh:

Shakshuka. 1st time ever having this, no clue on authenticity of taste, but I would definitely make it again. Spicy simmered tomato and veggies, eggs poached in the simmering mix. Nice 1-pot breakfast! Thinking this would be a good base for fish.
View attachment 676462 View attachment 676463
I make this occasionally for kids. They love it. I serve withe Zhug sauce that I think compliments it really well.

I cook mine quite a bit before poaching eggs. No discernible tomatoes in the end.

I make this occasionally for kids. They love it. I serve withe Zhug sauce that I think compliments it really well.

I cook mine quite a bit before poaching eggs. No discernible tomatoes in the end.
Had to look up Zhug. Funny, but I used some of my fermented chili garlic paste.

Wait god created beer for us to be happy. And merry.

LOL, yes, yes He did. However He also created livers which we're trying to keep pristine at our ages! And at the rate we were consuming home-brewed beer - not doing ourselves any favors. Keto has shown us the error of our ways. ;)

We still have a brew every now and then. DH had set some porter aside, maybe a case; it's well over a year old now and he is LOVING it - says it's way better than when it was "fresh" - also have a little brown ale left and it's still really tasty too!

That does look awesome. Thanks for the link to the link to the recipe you used. I'm gonna have to take this one for a spin!

Make the zhug! The herbs (cilantro, parsley) are essential. But if you don't have easy access to za’atar, don't bother. Also, note that after adding the eggs it goes in the oven. That gets the top of them baked properly.

I meant to take a picture but forgot - we had "Blue Moon Salmon Pizza" - a restaurant we used to love on Cannery Row in Monterey made this. Pizza crust, schmeared with plenty of cream cheese seasoned with dill, lemon juice, little Worcestershire; then topped with lox-style salmon, capers fried crispy in olive oil, diced avocado, minced red onion, thinly sliced Serrano peppers, a few small shrimp chopped coarsely; feel like I'm forgetting something - oh a little freshly ground pepper over the top.

I made a keto flatbread and we had all those toppings on that. It was pretty dang good!

Tuscan turkey meatballs for pasta later. These turned out stellar too. Nice and "bouncy". Probably have them with a creamy kale pesto white cheddar sauce...Some extra pesto too.

2 lbs 93% lean ground turkey (no salt added)
1 Cup Panko bread crumbs
1 Jumbo egg
1/4 Cup grated real Parmigiano-Reggiano
3 TBS heavy cream
2 Heaping TSP Tuscan Seasoning (MySpiceSage no salt added)
1-2 TBS Dried parsley or 2-4 fresh
1 TSP Aleppo pepper
1 TSP Onion powder
1 TSP Kirkland granulated garlic
White pepper to taste. 1/4 tsp is about what i used.

If you dont have heavy cream, milk is fine or 2 large eggs instead of jumbo.

Combine the ground turkey, Tuscan seasoning and parsley. Set aside in the fridge over night or 24hrs for flavors to meld.

When the ground turkey is well seasoned combine the rest of the ingredients
Make roughly 2-3 TBS sized meatballs
Fry your meatballs in Avocado oil.

aqAnNGB.jpg

HZeDbhF.jpg

lK7a3PY.jpg

TGlLDO9.jpg

7bjxTOG.jpg

OK here you go - our "secret recipe" - :D

House of C Yellow Mustard

Soak:
1 cup dry yellow mustard seeds
1.5 cups apple cider vinegar
2/3 cup flavored vinegar - from a jar of vinegar pickled veggies - we've used bread & butter pickle juice, pepperoncini juice, dill pickle juice, hot giardiniera - whatever you like. We save our jars of pickle juice once the veggies are gone from it for just this purpose. If you don't have any flavored vinegars just use more apple cider vinegar.

Put seeds and vinegars into a quart jar, stir once a day and let sit on the counter at least 2 days - we usually do 4 or 5.

Processing:
Your jar of soaked seeds/vinegars
1 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. garlic powder
1/8 tsp. paprika
1/8 tsp. onion powder
2 tsp. turmeric powder
1 cup flavored vinegar (see above) (apple cider vinegar is fine too if you don't have flavored vinegars)
12 to 20 ounces liquid - beer is really good, water is fine if you don't have anything else, we tried white wine one time and it made Dijon mustard!

Pour seeds and soaking liquid into a strong blender - we use a Vitamix. Add seasonings and flavored vinegar and 12 ounces of liquid. Start at lowest setting of blender and gradually increase speed as mixture begins to blend. When mixture starts to thicken, add more beer or water til you get the proper texture. We always make it JUST a bit thinner than French's yellow mustard consistency as it will thicken up a bit as it sits. It should basically be a nice yellow consistent product - no seeds visible.

Makes 1.5 to 2 quarts yellow mustard.

The flavor is pretty sharp the first week but mellows as it sits. We never refrigerate it. We fill up a squeeze bottle with the mustard for daily use.

This is the base we use each time. We've tried it using hard cider - good! We've tried it using ALL water - good! We've used everything from light lagers to dark brown ales - all good! Have fun experimenting.

Awesome! Thanks. Cant wait to make some. The beer sounds like a nice touch. I know here in Colorado all the craft mustards have beer. How does this compare to cooked mustard where you boil it? So glad to have your mustard skills helping me.

Smelling so good I couldnt help but take a taste. Yeet! I knew that taste like the back of my hand, chinese mustard. Apparently this is how you make that too, I love that stuff! Mine tasted like dijon mustard, grey poupon actually quite a bit. Consistency was perfect then it over boiled a touch. I have been making other sauces. The homemade pancake syrup is great. It is lemon organic oil because I didnt have maple flavoring. Still though it is so good. Also I have been making hersheys chocolate syrup with droste cocoa.

Sorry for the long post been a while. Did I post this? I dont think so. My son was all sad we didnt have ice cream. I thought ok ok Ill make some and we made mango sorbet. As far as compared to the skim or 1 percent homemade ice cream, the sorbet wins hands down. It was so good. A splash of lime in there.

Got my new pampered chef air fryer up and running. I have thoughts, but quick version is the larger these counter appliances are the less powerful the heat seems. My little skillet cooks much more powerful than big one, same plug, but its little. Anyways made these buns real quick and hot dogs for lunch. The kids have been using the air fryer, now a kids easy bake oven. They made muffin pizzas that were really good. Last but not least, I am so happy to get dehydrator out. Kid motivated. Used honeycrisp sprinkled with ceylon cinnamon and sugar. They didn't last long.
Screenshot_20200420-213438_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20200419-160616_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20200417-220941_Gallery.jpg
20200423_115859.jpg
20200423_120337.jpg
20200420_164327.jpg

The steak deserved it's own post. Also a word about the rotisserie on the air fryer. I have eaten a lot of frozen fries. Organic, generic, shoestring, tots you name it, and the basket rotisserie makes them taste so much better. The way they get cooked on all sides.

The steaks I salted them well, put some veg oil in electric griddle and got it searing hot. Put supposed prime filets in and let sear. On first flip I put knobs of butter around it. I then put garlic, shallot (didnt have), and thyme in the puddle in middle. Let it stew and soften for a minute or two, and then tilted the pan and basted the bejeebies out of it with spoon. Flipping and basting. Searing sides, and basting. Then put in middle of griddle, turned down and finished using lid and turning to 140.
20200417_184412.jpg

Havent done sous vide but heard it is excellent. I usually let my seasoned steak ride on hood of vehicle for the afternoon. Maybe that's redneck sous.

You put the meat in a bag (Ziploc is okay, but vacpack is ideal), then you drop it into a bath of 126° hot water for 30-45mins. Then you either cast iron it or grill it for a sear.

The reason it makes an arguably better steak is because it evenly cooks it at a precise temperature. You can do other proteins, too.

@applescrap I haven't made the boiled mustard in years. Does that use the powdered mustard?

We love our version with the soaked seeds so much that I don't use any other methods now. I keep powdered mustard on hand because I use it in some other recipes as a seasoning.

Yes it DOES taste like Chinese or Dijon mustard til it sits and mellows out for about a week! :)

Today will run two elk ribeye steaks in the sous vide for about an hour at 130* then pansear in the screaming hot cast iron skillet with a knob of good fat - either bison tallow or duck fat, haven't decided which one yet. Maybe the grass-fed beef tallow I have.

Gonna throw a whole organic chicken and a rack of baby back ribs, cut in half, in the brine today too - will put those on the Traeger over hickory pellets tomorrow, probably also add a couple thick bison burgers and some sausages. May as well take full advantage of the grill and pellets! I love planned over meals anyway - gives me a break from starting from scratch every night.

I'll try to remember to get some pictures along the way.

First test of my turkey meatballs. Damn brother could not wait for me to take a pic. Mixed it up before i had a chance. Barilla elbow pasta, The Vine butternut squash marinara, black garlic cloves and some real Parm. GREAT sauce for sodium restricted diets. Its got like 45mg per 1/2 cup. VERY expensive though.
53QyRar.jpg

Last edited:
Back