What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I solved it this way (link below). I see you're way beyond doing it my way, but others might get an idea. I bought small tins, and clear printable labels, and put them all in drawers. One of the best things I've done. If anyone wants to do the same, i've got links to the tins, the labels, and a template I made to print onto the labels

I posted in this same thread before.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?p=6281365&highlight=spice#post6281365

_mg_8573-63468.jpg

Could you please provide the links as our pantry is in similar disheveled shape? Thank you!

Could you please provide the links as our pantry is in similar disheveled shape? Thank you!

I got the tin cans at Specialty Bottle. The small ones can stack 2-high in my drawer. The large ones can't. I bought a bunch of both.

Clear Top Square Tin Containers

I used Avery #5248 labels (printed in my laserjet)

Avery Mailing Seals, Clear, Permanent,Non-Perforated, 480 per Pack (5248)

Good luck. It has worked out GREAT. Buy way more than you need, you'll need them (I have a lot more now in that drawer than what the picture shows). BTW, I have a template for those labels. PM me if anybody buys them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got the tin cans at Specialty Bottle. The small ones can stack 2-high in my drawer. The large ones can't. I bought a bunch of both.

Clear Top Square Tin Containers

I used Avery #5248 labels (printed in my laserjet)

Avery Mailing Seals, Clear, Permanent,Non-Perforated, 480 per Pack (5248)

Good luck. It has worked out GREAT. Buy way more than you need, you'll need them (I have a lot more now in that drawer than what the picture shows). BTW, I have a template for those labels. PM me if anybody buys them.

With how frequently I cook, I really need to do this. Or go Alton Brown and add velcro to the back to stick on the inside of the pantry door...

Last edited by a moderator:
stuffed flank steak, butterflied, seasoned, mortadella, prosciutto, calabrese salami, havarti cheese, tied into a nice log, in the smoker@145f for 1hre, then sous vide for 8 hrs @131F, then sliced and sear on the grill.... just decadent :p

2017-03-05 08.08.04.jpg

2017-03-05 08.10.30.jpg

2017-03-05 08.15.39.jpg

2017-03-05 08.17.59.jpg

2017-03-05 08.20.36.jpg

2017-03-05 08.31.05.jpg

2017-03-05 17.59.11.jpg

2017-03-05 18.13.07.jpg

With how frequently I cook, I really need to do this. Or go Alton Brown and add velcro to the back to stick on the inside of the pantry door...

This is pure. Reminds me of a story my friend tells about how we spent a million dollars to make an upside down pen and the Russians used a pencil.

I KNOW she's not REALLY trying to kill me but I can't help wondering. SWMBO knew I would be working on my thesis all day so she made me 'lunch' before she left for work.

Ya know, it wouldn't be all that bad with a couple of shots of vodka.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1489170783.459036.jpg

I KNOW she's not REALLY trying to kill me but I can't help wondering. SWMBO knew I would be working on my thesis all day so she made me 'lunch' before she left for work.

Ya know, it wouldn't be all that bad with a couple of shots of vodka.

Oh gosh, that makes me shudder!

KOTC and I tried a juicing/veggie smoothie type diet - made it 5 days and we both felt like warmed-over crap by then. Was never so glad to give up on an eating plan as with that one!

Dude, you just blow me away with every picture you post. How frickin amazing!!

Holy floccing ****. I'm not a big seafood fan. I can eat tuna and shrimp along with clam chowder. But, I would eat that in a heartbeat especially now that I am approaching buzzedome.

Incredible.

15315157-66AB-4F76-9993-5EB1BCF343B1_zpsy8jhj7eg.jpg

Seared scallops on corn tortillas with homemade guacamole, salsa, lime zest, and chive. :mug:

You really need to come diving with me. I've got some scallop honey holes that would make you sign over your truck, your house, your wife and your kids to me.

I get to choose any 2/4.

Not for nuttin' but the first scallop found gets shucked and eaten when found, on the bottom. It's good luck and assures a fruitful hunt. Here is the action plan...

Flop over side of boat
Sink down till you reach the bottom
Find first scallop
Settle into the dirt
Pull out knife
Shuck scallop
Wait for scallop schmutz to drift away so you can see.
Take a deep breath
Take regulator out of mouth
Put scallop in mouth, squirt out ocean that accompanied scallop, discard shells, chew and swallow.
Put regulator back in mouth
Start breathing again
Proceed to fill up catch bag.
Hump your 50-60 pound bag along the bottom till you're tired
Go up100 feet or so.
Get back on boat
Drink beer
Go home
Shuck more scallops

Ever wonder why diver scallops at $20/#?

I'm doing the stew recipe from seriouseats.com again. Way to complex a recipe, but then that's what I do. And this is the best stew recipe I have ever cooked and the wife loved it last time!

It's nice when people show the cooking, and not just the plate.

Restaurant photos shouldn't be allowed.

I'm doing the stew recipe from seriouseats.com again. Way to complex a recipe, but then that's what I do. And this is the best stew recipe I have ever cooked and the wife loved it last time!

Link? I love that site, and it's even possible I already have this particular recipe bookmarked, but if not, I definitely want to take a look!

:)

Roasted a whole chicken, then took carcass and made broth, then made dumplings to go into the broth. Misread the recipe and made the dumplings too wet, so instead of nice ribbons, I made drop/spoon dumplings. Tasted mighty fine, and the family must have agreed as they ate it all, but it wasn't pretty. Sorry no picture this time.

Star fruit (carambola). Been cooking it lately. So good. I slice (don't skin, it's edible), then I poke the seeds out with a butter knife. Grilled is great. On skewer with sausage chucks is magic.

I marinate in honey before cooking, but maybe not necessary. Some are tart, others sweet.

Will get pics later, but the presentation is epic. I served over salmon steaks last week. Woot!

MMMMM love me some saag paneer! Yep, paneer is dead simple to make and so good. Looks great!

Today, it was 74*. For the first time since about last September, we broke out the grill and KOTC built a great fire out of oakwood chunks, we threw on some fresh rosemary sprigs and quickly put the rack and the steak on right over the sprigs. They set up a wonderful smoke. Had ovenroasted Brussels sprouts with bacon bits, a nice "everything" salad, and a glass of mighty fine Hans Fahden Vineyards (Calistoga, CA) Cab Sauv with the dinner.

Tandori chicken with saag paneer.

Paneer was actually really easy to make - milk + lemon juice + cheese cloth; the final result really beats the store-bought type.

No tandor in my house, so the chicken had to be oven-baked.

Make paneer for saag paneer for my daughter frequently. She just loves it. Only cheese I've made, but I plan to change that :)

Back