What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All of this talk of gin made me want to taste the limoncello we made with Mojave High Desert Gin. Smells like the desert sages, the lemon peel (our lemons) tastes amazingly floral, especially in a G&T! Time to put it in a bottle.
IMG_1745.JPG

All of this talk of gin made me want to taste the limoncello we made with Mojave High Desert Gin. Smells like the desert sages, the lemon peel (our lemons) tastes amazingly floral, especially in a G&T! Time to put it in a bottle.View attachment 756851
How's the 'cello? We usually macerate with Everclear then dilute down to 100 proof with simple syrup.

My Fresh Squeezed clone I bumped up wit a bit more DME and corn sugar, it’s ~9% and tasty, reminiscent of Drakes Denoginizer. Potent for sure. Just finished a 50 mile bike ride and invited my mates to sample it👍 From all. Now I’m buzzed in the mid afternoon.View attachment 756635
I only drink from this glass on days I've done a proper ride. Had to correct mileage, was 50 not 59 I was buzzed and my fingers were fat.

Highclere Castle is better with Dolin Dry.
View attachment 756861
Wow you’re into some high class stuff there! We’ve tried a bunch, my wife and I were on a gin thing for awhile couple years ago. As it is, we have a place near us that sells Gordon’s in the big bottle 1.75L for $13.99 so we’ve been keeping that around. We even did a blind tasting thing with about 5 or 6 of them and there wasn’t too much difference at least in the ones we had. Gordon’s and Gilbeys are about identical, in blind samples I could not tell them apart. Bulldog gin was one I liked. We had Total Wine’s brand, Citadelle gin. It wasn’t any better or any worse than any of the others. One of the gins we had was a genevre, didn’t know the difference at the time. I did not like that one.

Wow you’re into some high class stuff there! We’ve tried a bunch, my wife and I were on a gin thing for awhile couple years ago. As it is, we have a place near us that sells Gordon’s in the big bottle 1.75L for $13.99 so we’ve been keeping that around. We even did a blind tasting thing with about 5 or 6 of them and there wasn’t too much difference at least in the ones we had. Gordon’s and Gilbeys are about identical, in blind samples I could not tell them apart. Bulldog gin was one I liked. We had Total Wine’s brand, Citadelle gin. It wasn’t any better or any worse than any of the others. One of the gins we had was a genevre, didn’t know the difference at the time. I did not like that one.

My 3 favorite Gins for Martinis right now are Highclere Castle, Ford's, and The Botanist. Bootles, Broker's, Bulldog, and Plymouth would be my second choices.
I love Bulldog but they no longer carry it at Pennsylvania ABC. Old Tom Gin (sweet and barrel-aged) is very good for making a Martinez.

As far as Martinis go, Beefeater, Tanqueray, and Bombay Regular (the Sapphire is too weird to make a coherent Martini but makes a superb G&T ) are about the bare minimum. Hendrick's is also very good but also makes a very strange Martini. Anything below that tier (Gordon's, Gilbeys, Bankers, et al ) is for gin and tonics or cocktails involving fruit juices. Citadelle is good too, about on the same level as Malfy from Italy. Believe it or not, you can make a drinkable rail Martini with New Amsterdam (although it's barely gin ) and Martini & Rossi. I usually avoid Rossi, but for some reason, it's good with New Amsterdam as a Gibson with a couple of cocktail onions.

For Vermouths, I mostly buy Noilly Pratt, Dolin, and recently, Carpano from Spain. Lots of people like Vya from California but I don't care for it. The most important thing for vermouth is that you keep it refrigerated after opening it. If you do that, it will last 3 months. If you leave it out warm it will oxidize and go sour in a week.

Cheers!

My 3 favorite Gins for Martinis right now are Highclere Castle, Ford's, and The Botanist. Bootles, Broker's, Bulldog and Plymouth would be my second choices.
I love Bulldog but they no longer carry it at Pennsylvania ABC.

As far as Martinis go, Beefeater, Tanqueray and Bombay Regular (the Sapphire is too weird to make a coherent Martini but makes a superb G&T ) are about the bare minimum. Hendrick's is also very good but also makes a very strange Martini. Anything below that tier (Gordon's, Gilbeys, Bankers, et al ) is for gin and tonics or cocktails involving fruit juices. Citadelle is good too, about on the same level as Malfy from Italy. Believe it or not, you can make a decent Martini with New Amsterdam (although it's barely gin ) and Martini & Rossi.

For Vermouths, I mostly buy Noilly Pratt, Dolin, and recently, Carpano from Spain. Lots of people like Vya from California but I don't care for it. The most important thing for vermouth is that you keep it refrigerated after opening it. If you do that, it will last 3 months. If you leave it out warm it will oxidize and go sour in a week.
Oh how did I forget Boodle’s? Yeah that one was great. Also pricey.

Depending on where you are in PA, you can find almost anything at one of the DE or NJ Total Wine stores. Claymont is one of biggest, Cherry Hill is also a big store. The closest one to me is in Wilmington but that is one of their oldest and smallest stores. Still beats the PA state store by a country mile.

Anybody who says Disney is the greatest place on earth has never been to Total Wine.

Last edited:

Depending on where you are in PA, you can find almost anything at one of the DE Total Wine stores. Claymont is one of biggest, Cherry Hill is also a big store. The closest one to me is in Wilmington but that is one of their oldest and smallest stores. Still beats the PA state store by a country mile.

Anybody who says Disney is the greatest place on earth has never been to Total Wine.
I agree. I just don't usually schlepp all the way to DE just to buy booze, but if I am in the First State, I almost always stop in there at TW in Christiana on the way home.

Depending on where you are in PA, you can find almost anything at one of the DE or NJ Total Wine stores. Claymont is one of biggest, Cherry Hill is also a big store. The closest one to me is in Wilmington but that is one of their oldest and smallest stores. Still beats the PA state store by a country mile.

Wouldn't be worth it for me to bootleg from the Dirty Jerz... taxed there, plus the toll for the Ben Franklin is like 8 bucks!
I see Claymont is just past "Da Hook"! I didn't know there was one there. Looks like it's on "Naw, man!"'s road LOL. That's not too far from me. I live just outside Media. I could drive there in about 15 minutes, assuming I survived my trip thru the Hook... During covid lockdown when the state stores shut down, we ordered a bunch from a local distillery and picked it up in Philly.

1643137617595.png

Last edited:
Back