Weyermann Barke Pilsner - I made FIRE!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Must be 5 o'clock somewhere.
upload_2019-11-18_16-49-41.png

It was the beer gods' way of saying it was time to leave the worldly materials behind and move on to the divine substance of Barke.

Where can I buy barke pilsner?

If you have a LHBS that carries Weyermann, they should be able to order for you. Or you can get it from Northern Brewer...or I like Hop Craft Supply in Michigan, they carry it and you can order in pounds or ounces for an exact recipe. Shipping is pretty quick too.

What is the difference between the Barke and say the Bohemian Pils malt?
Barke is the Barke variety of spring grown malt, while Bohemian uses Czech spring barley variety Bojos and Tolar. Both produce a very distinct taste in your beer just different, you'll have to try both to see what you prefer, I alternate between the two.

Last edited:
Note also that Weyermann produce two Bohemian pilsner malts. Both use Bojos and Tolar barleys, but one is pneumatic and one is floored. I definitely prefer the pneumatic over the floor malt. Floor malting sells just because it sounds crafty and artisanal, but by no means makes for a better malt. Pneumatic malts are of course much more evenly modified, consistent and better performing products. The Bohemian was my favorite Pilsner malt before I tried Barke.

Does anyone know how this compares to Mecca Grade Pelton? I'm in love with the stuff but if Barke pilsner is comparable in flavor I could save a good chunk of money.
bumping this question.
I've used Pelton for my last 4 pilsners/lagers and have been very satisfied. I may give this a shot as well.

Problem is, I only brew once every 6-8 weeks so it's hard to do a side by side comparison.

North American and continental malts definitely taste different but only you can decide which is better.

I got another bag of the barke pilsner and another bag of the barke vienna. Not really sure what I'm going to do with the vienna yet. Vienna Lager is an obvious choice, but I might use it like maris otter and make an IPA or PA out of it.

View attachment 653335

How do you store your grain and how long does it usually take to go through a sack of grain?

I have thought about buying sacks of grain but worry about storage and the humidity. (I'm up north of you in Gainesville.)

How do you store your grain and how long does it usually take to go through a sack of grain?

I have thought about buying sacks of grain but worry about storage and the humidity. (I'm up north of you in Gainesville.)

I store it in these vittle vaults. Unmilled, that grain will last forever in there as long as there were no weevils. The containers stack. One container will hold more than a full bag.

I keep grain in the garage. The heat is no problem.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002DJOOI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I store grain in 5 gallon buckets, with the same Gamma lids as the vittles vaults. You can get the lids to fit a standard 5 gallon bucket for about $7 at Lowe's. The buckets will stack too, and a 5 gallon bucket holds ~25 lbs. Either way, the airtight Gamma lid is the key to worry free storage.

I store grain in 5 gallon buckets, with the same Gamma lids as the vittles vaults. You can get the lids to fit a standard 5 gallon bucket for about $7 at Lowe's. The buckets will stack too, and a 5 gallon bucket holds ~25 lbs. Either way, the airtight Gamma lid is the key to worry free storage.

I've got lots of those too. They work fine. I get the white food-grade buckets (and gamma lids) from Lowes.

Not to hijack the thread (ok, maybe a little), but this seems germane to the discussion. Great Fermentations of Indiana is hosting a Pilsner Malt Showcase event on Saturday, January 11th. It's free and you can sign up for a 1pm or 3pm time slot.

Yours truly brewed seven (yes seven) five gallon batches w/ 100% Pils malt within a 10 day period-- each brewed identically (same yeast, water, hops, process) with one of seven North American and Continental pilsner malts. All the maltsters/malts have been mentioned previously in this discussion, plus there will be a few more. I brewed them to the high-end of Helles-Export specs. I have put together a blind evaluation sheet for participants to complete (which I will scan and return for their reference along w/ the "reveal" on each sample) rating the finished beer for flavor & aroma characteristics typical of pilsner malts (bready, crackery, honey, grainy, etc etc).

I'll post results here in January.

https://www.facebook.com/events/979136075804402/

https://www.greatfermentations.com/calevents/pilsner-malt-showcase-tasting-event/

Last edited:
Not to hijack the thread (ok, maybe a little), but this seems germane to the discussion. Great Fermentations of Indiana is hosting a Pilsner Malt Showcase event on Saturday, January 11th. It's free and you can sign up for a 1pm or 3pm time slot.

Yours truly brewed seven (yes seven) five gallon batches w/ 100% Pils malt within a 10 day period-- each brewed identically (same yeast, water, hops, process) with one of seven North American and Continental pilsner malts. All the maltsters/malts have been mentioned previously in this discussion, plus there will be a few more. I brewed them to the high-end of Helles-Export specs. I have put together a blind evaluation sheet for participants to complete (which I will scan and return for their reference along w/ the "reveal" on each sample) rating the finished beer for flavor & aroma characteristics typical of pilsner malts (bready, crackery, honey, grainy, etc etc).

https://www.greatfermentations.com/calevents/pilsner-malt-showcase-tasting-event/

You probably get this a lot, but I think I just fell in love with you.

That sounds like a pilsner homebrewer's dream. I have no hope of attending, so I'll wait not-so-patiently to hear the results.

Are the beers bottled or kegged?

Was the barke pilsner one of the malts you used?

That sounds like a pilsner homebrewer's dream. I have no hope of attending, so I'll wait not-so-patiently to hear the results.

Are the beers bottled or kegged?

Was the barke pilsner one of the malts you used?

They're all keg'd with speise and will have about 35-45 days (depending upon when they were brewed) to lager before serving. Yes, Barke Pils was included.

FWIW, all the hydrometer samples taken before keg'ing were unique. The assertion "pils is pils" that I've often heard definitely doesn't hold true.

Last edited:

That sounds very interesting! I am cycling back to evaluate base grains. I have a single malt pale ale on tap made with Viking Pale Ale and I recently bottled versions made with Crisp Maris Otter and Briess Brewer's. I picked up a sack of Weyermann Bohemian Floor Malted Pilsner since it seems to have a solid reputation. They had the Barke as well as Pilsners from Castle, Dingemans, and Avangard. I don't brew pale lager style beers, so mostly looking for a solid malt for Belgains and maybe as a base for Pale Ale/IPA beers.

That sounds very interesting! I am cycling back to evaluate base grains. I have a single malt pale ale on tap made with Viking Pale Ale and I recently bottled versions made with Crisp Maris Otter and Briess Brewer's. I picked up a sack of Weyermann Bohemian Floor Malted Pilsner since it seems to have a solid reputation. They had the Barke as well as Pilsners from Castle, Dingemans, and Avangard. I don't brew pale lager style beers, so mostly looking for a solid malt for Belgains and maybe as a base for Pale Ale/IPA beers.
I've been considering this too, mainly out of boredom and wanting to change things up. My brewing doesn't normally change a lot from year to year, but this year, strangely enough, I've barely brewed any lagers. That's the beauty of homebrewing, we get to choose all these things at our own discretion!

That's the beauty of homebrewing, we get to choose all these things at our own discretion!

That's my greatest consolation in having never pursued my life's goal of going pro. I now realize that I'd be stuck making a couple dozen HazeBois and Cupcakes every week, and if I ever did brew something I actually like, I'd have to eat the cost when it failed to sell. Once a couple of years ago, when I realized I'd only brewed two or three batches in eight years that weren't pale lagers with tiny, incremental differences, it hit me. Homebrewing is my happy place. And the proposed experiment sounds right up my alley. I'll be waiting on the results.

That's my greatest consolation in having never pursued my life's goal of going pro. I now realize that I'd be stuck making a couple dozen HazeBois and Cupcakes every week, and if I ever did brew something I actually like, I'd have to eat the cost when it failed to sell. Once a couple of years ago, when I realized I'd only brewed two or three batches in eight years that weren't pale lagers with tiny, incremental differences, it hit me. Homebrewing is my happy place. And the proposed experiment sounds right up my alley. I'll be waiting on the results.
Agreed. That experiment sounds really fun. I wish I could attend. I think homebrewing is my happy place too, as long as I'm not over-consuming my creations.

They're all keg'd with speise and will have about 35-45 days (depending upon when they were brewed) to lager before serving. Yes, Barke Pils was included.

FWIW, all the hydrometer samples taken before keg'ing were unique. The assertion "pils is pils" that I've often heard definitely doesn't hold true.
Great mate! Looking forward to it!

While I take some serious exception to a lot of Jamil Zainasheff's opinions, one thing he said (repeatedly) in the opening of Heretic, as advise to homebrewers looking to go pro, that always sticks with me: "you're not in the business of brewing beer, you're in the business of selling beer".

If that means hazey IPAs, mega fruit sours, and adjunct-laden pastry stouts, and now the lowest of the low, hard seltzer, are what sells, that's what you make.

It's telling that even among breweries known for stupid trends, it's a clean old school lager the brewers end up drinking.

While I take some serious exception to a lot of Jamil Zainasheff's opinions, one thing he said (repeatedly) in the opening of Heretic, as advise to homebrewers looking to go pro, that always sticks with me: "you're not in the business of brewing beer, you're in the business of selling beer".

If that means hazey IPAs, mega fruit sours, and adjunct-laden pastry stouts, and now the lowest of the low, hard seltzer, are what sells, that's what you make.

It's telling that even among breweries known for stupid trends, it's a clean old school lager the brewers end up drinking.

Man, I had one of these pilsners tonight while making dinner. It was just perfect.

Gotta brew what the customers want. Being stubborn and making the same old stuff that the majority aren't buying will put you out of business quick. Cheers

Latest posts

Back