• We have a new forum and it needs your help! Homebrewing Deals is a forum to post whatever deals and specials you find that other homebrewers might value! Includes coupon layering, Craigslist finds, eBay finds, Amazon specials, etc.

Weyermann Barke Pilsner - I made FIRE!

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Reaction score
I’m with you-it seems to do the job I want without negatively effecting beer flavor.
It’s a question of a processed byproduct from animals vs a purified colloidal solution of silicic acid (Biofine) so pick your poison?
Or none of the above, and not have to decide. ;)

VikeMan

Reaction score
What about that is specifically objectionable to you exactly? I passed college level stats and don’t find their analysis generally incorrect?
Example:
"While 15 tasters (p<0.05) would have had to identify the unique sample in order to reach statistical significance, only 13 (p=0.10) made the accurate selection, indicating participants in this xBmt could not reliably distinguish an IPA made with a 7.4 oz/209.4 g dry hop charge from one made with an 11 oz/311.8 g dry hop charge."

Note that 13 tasters accurately selected the different sample, and that p=0.10.
This means that if there were no detectable difference between the beers, there was only a 10% chance that 13 or more tasters would get it right. But they did. To translate that into "indicating participants in this xBmt could not reliably distinguish" is misleading as hell. Anyone reading those words and not thoroughly familiar with triangle testing and p values would be very likely to think "the results show that there's no difference." I can't even count the number of times I've seen forum posters quote results like that as "proof" that Brulosophy debunked something.

ba-brewer

I'm not Zog
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Note that gelatin is neither from horses (normally pigs/cows), nor hooves. Hooves make keratin, not gelatin. Gelatin is what you get when you boil the skin and bones.

I guess if you're vegan, or bound to reinheitsgebot, gelatin is out. I'm none of those :)
I do not know what it is made of but if you heat up the gelatin in a covered jar then take a whiff, it sure smells like a dairy farm.

edit: I have to admit even though it smells bad I do occasionally still use it.

Last edited:

RPh_Guy

Bringing Sour Back
Reaction score
What about that is specifically objectionable to you exactly? I passed college level stats and don’t find their analysis generally incorrect?
Just wanted to add to what @VikeMan said...

My main objection to their stats is that they have zero interest in achieving enough power to prevent a type II error (false negative), which is especially relevant since they usually fail to reject the null hypothesis.

Furthermore many of their experiments lack adequate internal and external validity because of poor methodology.

LokiM4

Smile-it confuses people!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Example:
"While 15 tasters (p<0.05) would have had to identify the unique sample in order to reach statistical significance, only 13 (p=0.10) made the accurate selection, indicating participants in this xBmt could not reliably distinguish an IPA made with a 7.4 oz/209.4 g dry hop charge from one made with an 11 oz/311.8 g dry hop charge."

Note that 13 tasters accurately selected the different sample, and that p=0.10.
This means that if there were no detectable difference between the beers, there was only a 10% chance that 13 or more tasters would get it right. But they did. To translate that into "indicating participants in this xBmt could not reliably distinguish" is misleading as hell. Anyone reading those words and not thoroughly familiar with triangle testing and p values would be very likely to think "the results show that there's no difference." I can't even count the number of times I've seen forum posters quote results like that as "proof" that Brulosophy debunked something.
Isn’t the point of the way Brülosophy states their findings have to do with random chance vs the significance of the number of correct selections the triangle test?

If their threshold for “reliable” were lower as you are stating them the chance that those selections were equal to random chance would be increased so much as to make the comparison meaningless.

day_trippr

New Normal: Viral Russian Roulette
Reaction score
Ok, so maybe I'll just keep avoiding gelatin and stick with the 30 day lagering scheme :oops:

VikeMan

Reaction score
Isn’t the point of the way Brülosophy states their findings have to do with random chance vs the significance of the number of correct selections the triangle test?

If their threshold for “reliable” were lower as you are stating them the chance that those selections were equal to random chance would be increased so much as to make the comparison meaningless.
My issue is the misleading words. If they were to add this one note prominently, I wouldn't object:
"It should be noted that if there were no difference, on average we would expect 9 or 10 of the tasters to make the correct selection. But 13 (or more) did, which if there were no difference, was only 10% likely to happen."

Immocles

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, so maybe I'll just keep avoiding gelatin and stick with the 30 day lagering scheme :oops:
I bought some water treatment and finings secondhand from a brewer getting out of the hobby last year sometime and a bottle of gelatin was included. I only bottle, so I haven't bothered looking into using it much, but I'm usually a little jealous when I see the results with it. But with that being said, most of my beers are clear at packaging, then haze up in the fridge for a week or so, then drop pretty darn clear again. I use it as a reminder to be patient

day_trippr

Reaction score
Honestly, every keg gets the "low 'n' slow" cold carbonation treatment anyway, which at the minimum runs a few days over two weeks. And it's fairly rare that a keg is ready and immediately goes into the keezer - usually there's at least a week, often many.

So, just keeping the kegs cold has worked - at least to the point that any chill haze then becomes apparent. And that would be the one thing I'd want to see if I could drop and get rid of in the first couple pours...

Cheers!

LokiM4

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My issue is the misleading words. If they were to add this one note prominently, I wouldn't object:
"It should be noted that if there were no difference, on average we would expect 9 or 10 of the tasters to make the correct selection. But 13 (or more) did, which if there were no difference, was only 10% likely to happen."
I can agree there-that is a more thorough and accurate explanation-but these days with the dumbing down of the masses a simpler and more concise explanation as they typically give is usually more digestible to the masses.

it doesn’t make either wrong or right and in theory doesn’t change the statistics-but depending on the aptitude of the observer it may steer their opinions as they don’t fully grasp the information being given-in the form it’s presented.

LokiM4

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My vote...there are enough threads dedicated to hate on Brulosophy that it just detracts from useful threads like this to keep hashing it out over and over.
I probably haven’t been around long enough to find them-then Agni don’t go looking for them either.

I can’t grasp “hate” for any person/source/entity who is genuinely trying to provide informational brewers and brewing and better the understanding of the art and science behind it so that we can all better beer if we choose.

I guess I don’t believe they’re really coming from a place with an ulterior motive to misinform or misrepresent-if anyone really truly does believe that I guess I feel badly for them.

Apologies for making this thread about that-it wasn’t my intent.

beersk

Reaction score
I am reminded of the scene in "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" where the Frenchman continues to argue about how they acquired a coconut way up in England.

The thing about Brulosophy themselves is that they have repeatedly stated that each exbeeriment is only ONE data point. It does not necessarily PROVE anything. Either way, I think the point, really, is decide for yourself. After all, the beauty of it is we can decide what we want to do; free country and all...

Robert65

Major Obvious (recently promoted)
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Except it's all horribly off topic. In that respect, better to say nothing than to blather on and on, feeding the thing. Sadly decorum in all respects left with Elvis.
Yep, you're either on the bus, off the bus, or going, wait, why the he🏒🏒 are these guys talking about bus routes?

OT somewhere way back I mentioned I had made a Helles with all Barke Pilsner and didn't think I'd do that again, but that it would probably be great as a Pilsner grist. Well I've finally got one spunding, and am about to brew another, and can already predict this may be my default Pilsner for a while. Really can stand alone with the counterpoint of the hopping of a Pilsner. In fact in Pilsners where I've mixed in some other grains -- Barke Munich or CaraHell -- those just muddied things, whereas with other Pilsner malts they were needed to give a balanced malt flavor. Only in a Helles or Festbier might some extra malt notes be welcome. IMHO, YMMV, YMCA, MSRP, etc.

bkboiler

Reaction score
On another note I just bought 10 lb Barke Pilsner and am going to do my first decoction in the coming weeks (when I have time)... :yes:
When I get the new setup finally dialed in I'll prob do the brown ale and porter first (non lodo) and when I do the pilsner I'll try the mash cap and deox of the strike water ...
Wish I had time to get it done earlier...my dad's 70th birthday is coming up and Andech's is his favorite beer...was hoping this would be somewhat similar (at least to a non-beer nerd).

day_trippr

Reaction score
[...]my dad's 70th birthday is coming up and Andech's is his favorite beer...was hoping this would be somewhat similar (at least to a non-beer nerd).
Very cool, hope it works out.
Has he ever been to the monastery? I'd have loved to have taken my dad there. My wife and I took our oldest son (who was doing his junior year in London) there for dinner and a hella lot of beer (the mugs are HUGE!) and it was an experience I'll never forget...

Cheers!

bkboiler

Reaction score
Yeah! We went when I was 16 and I got ein Großes Bier und eine Schweinehackse...probably mispelled that, but it was amazing!
He had been to Germany on so many business trips and brought us souvenirs while I was very young, so it was especially cool to go with him and be able to have a beer too!
That's so cool that you got to go with your son! I'll never forget going either!

monkeymath

Reaction score
Has he ever been to the monastery? I'd have loved to have taken my dad there. My wife and I took our oldest son (who was doing his junior year in London) there for dinner and a hella lot of beer (the mugs are HUGE!) and it was an experience I'll never forget...

Cheers!
Yeah! We went when I was 16 and I got ein Großes Bier und eine Schweinehackse...probably mispelled that, but it was amazing!
... And here I am, with Kloster Andechs less than an hour away, and I think I've only been once or twice... ^^
Shame on me, I ought to go there again (once the C-word is over)

The other day I put my Helles made with 100% 'Weyermann Floor Malted Bohemian Pilsner' in the fridge. Can't wait to try it. Tasting the malt itself, I loved the taste, but thought it was too caramelly-nutty for a Helles; it was kind of like halfway between their regular Pilsner and Crisp Maris Otter. But the aroma on bottling day was pure sublime lager-stink; I hope that hasn't gotten away. I really wished I had a keg, so I could just seal in all the flavour.

bkboiler

Reaction score
Ooh floor malted is always interesting! I can't say that I know in *general* the kind of difference it makes for all types of malts, but have tended to find it more "artisanal" to be way too ambiguous about it...
Can't wait to hear your tasting notes!

Latest posts