Voss Kveik yeast is a monster

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Speaking for myself, I always use an IC to drop temps. First with ground water then switching over to a recirc of ice water.

This is for me is the biggest advantage of Kveik. With a simple immersion chiller and ground water, you can get to pitching temps (35c) pretty much immediately. With the ability to pitch almost immediately and it's purported lack of lag time, other bacteria don't stand much of a chance.

Add to that the ability to make crisp clean beer or a nice fruity estery beer with the same yeast.

It's also dryable with a freezer life of up to 20 years. I think I also read somewhere that the slurry is good in the frige for up to a year.

As a KISS brewer, if this stuff does all it says it does, I don't see me ever buying another yeast again!

One last question, I've heard that it flocculates so well it can lead to issues with bottle carbonation if left too long in the fermenter. Can anyone attest to this?

One last question, I've heard that it flocculates so well it can lead to issues with bottle carbonation if left too long in the fermenter. Can anyone attest to this?

I've bottle conditioned with Voss many times without issue. One thing to note though, it seems that fermenting at different temperatures produces different levels of haze even in the same recipe (with lower temps being more clear). It's possible that it floccs harder with lower temps...but that could be other material or phenols as well. I have only fermented as "low" as 80F with Voss.

I've had longer times bottle conditioning using Oslo kveik (and still working out the kinks of somewhat acidic resulting beer), but I will just agitate the bottles a bit more and they will eventually get to carbonation.

I’ve had zero issues with bottle carbing with maybe the exception of using carb tabs. So far I’ve tried table sugar, carb tabs, honey and corn sugar. The carb tabs I have are always off if you go by their instructions..but the yeast has carbed them up.

I may have to try a lower temp ferment and see if I get the same issue with haze.

Makes sense. I think the idea of trying to heat it UP to 95F to ferment is a bit ridiculous. I chill to 90F, pitch, and let fall to room temp, which is about 80F.

Exactly what I do. This yeast also has a smokiness in the finish. Game changing yeast for anyone without temp control. I can see it in many styles.

Exactly what I do. This yeast also has a smokiness in the finish. Game changing yeast for anyone without temp control. I can see it in many styles.
Smokiness? Are you talking about Voss? This strain is a pure orange bomb so I’m having a hard time seeing any smokiness from it

This is for me is the biggest advantage of Kveik. With a simple immersion chiller and ground water, you can get to pitching temps (35c) pretty much immediately. With the ability to pitch almost immediately and it's purported lack of lag time, other bacteria don't stand much of a chance.

Add to that the ability to make crisp clean beer or a nice fruity estery beer with the same yeast.

It's also dryable with a freezer life of up to 20 years. I think I also read somewhere that the slurry is good in the frige for up to a year.

As a KISS brewer, if this stuff does all it says it does, I don't see me ever buying another yeast again!

I had a jar of slurry in the fridge for over a year. Took of like a rocket in like 6 hours. No problem. Easiest yeast to use in the world. I'm probably never buying an other yeast again.

Going full tilt 3 hours after pitch, fully attenuated (76%) by 18 hours and completely stable FG by 21 hours post-pitch. Barely a Krausen so no blow-off tube needed by a long shot. Heat wrap set to 98F, I did not oxygenate other than splashing during transfer, and I forgot to add yeast nutrient. Just wow. View attachment 634287

I’m just popping in here to mention my experience with Imperial’s A44 Kveiking, which I understand is a blend of Voss and two other Kveik strains. I brewed it on Saturday, pitched Saturday night at 10pm - the wort was still at 34*C (93*F) when I pitched in the Kveiking, OG was 1.067 (would be 1.070 when adjusted for temperature). Just 9 hours later it was at high fermentation and the temperature had risen to 36*C. I took a gravity reading and it had already dropped to 1.040.

This afternoon at 3:30, when I came home from work, there was no activity in the airlock, the gravity had dropped to 1.012 and the temperature had dropped to 27*C (81*F). So within 42 hours, it had completely fermented the wort. The beer tastes great, the esters quite mild, I’m getting a little bit of pineapple, maybe some other citrus, a little peppery. I’ll be harvesting this yeast for future batches!

yes it has the orange and I could detect a slight smokiness. Every time I've used it had this slightly in the finish.
I could see it being perfect for Black IPA, which I haven't brewed in a couple years. Might be time to brew another one.

I've seen a lot of chatter about using the Voss in a stout on this thread. Did anyone follow through? Thinking about doing it myself. I'll be gone for 10 days following brew, so I don't want to have to monitor ferm temperatures or set up any kind of temp control if I don't have to.

I have a batch of breakfast stout that i did with voss. Very good. No esters. Really lets the adjucts shine. Currently kegging a 4.5% porter that i did with hornindal
I've seen a lot of chatter about using the Voss in a stout on this thread. Did anyone follow through? Thinking about doing it myself. I'll be gone for 10 days following brew, so I don't want to have to monitor ferm temperatures or set up any kind of temp control if I don't have to.

I could see it being perfect for Black IPA, which I haven't brewed in a couple years. Might be time to brew another one.
And it was, at least the Hornindal was. I used it for a nice 7% black IPA. Still on tap actually and it's one of my favorite beers I've made in a long long time. I can imagine Voss being very good for the style also.

I have a batch of breakfast stout that i did with voss. Very good. No esters. Really lets the adjucts shine. Currently kegging a 4.5% porter that i did with hornindal

Thanks @jaymosbeershack. My OG is slated to be about 1.064, so it'll finish out at 6% plus. My plan was to leave it in primary for 3-4 weeks to batch condition then bottle condition afterwards. I've never had trouble with brews going that long in primary, but I wasn't sure if the kveiks are a little different.

I've done several porters around 5.5% with Voss and have had very good results every time. Didn't notice the oranginess that I get when I use it in pale ales.

I've done several porters around 5.5% with Voss and have had very good results every time. Didn't notice the oranginess that I get when I use it in pale ales.

Good to know! Everything I've gathered says it will ferment very clean at room temperature and have fruitiness the higher the temp is. I really want to use it as my house strain to not have to worry about it being too fickle with fluctuations in temp.

I brewed two stouts this Monday the small 1.055 is already at 1.015 and the large 1.100 is slowing. 3 freaking days with imperial labs “Loki” (Voss).and that is at 70 degrees. In order to get orange esters you need to under pitch really under pitch. That is why I think it comes in 1 gram packets. I did this with a barley wine a couple of months ago, it came out very orange but it didn’t really mesh with a barley wine. Voss also seems to promote a syrupy mouth feel, (extra glycerin?) and seems way sweeter that 1.018.

Last edited:
Good to know! Everything I've gathered says it will ferment very clean at room temperature and have fruitiness the higher the temp is. I really want to use it as my house strain to not have to worry about it being too fickle with fluctuations in temp.

This is it. The ease of use is what sells it for me.

I bought the Hornindal from that seller and seems to be ok but only made a starter so far with a bit of lager wort. Tasted clean from what i can tell.

I just picked up some Imperial Voss Kveik for an Imperial Black IPA and have two questions:
  1. Any experience/tips for capturing and reusing slurry?
  2. Should I follow the "standard" procedure with reusing slurry going from low OG to high OG, or can this beast of a yeast go from high OG to low OG with no ill effects?
Thanks!

In Norway they skin off the top but for non open ferment I would say follow standard, this yeast is resilient.
Not always. Check http://www.garshol.priv.no/download/farmhouse/kveik.html for each strain to see if it should harvested from the top (skim krausen) or bottom (save the slurry after fermentation).

Voss is traditionally bottom harvested. However, I think Imperial is a single strain isolate. In that case it doesn't actually matter, just do what you're comfortable with.

I harvested mine from the bottom as I noticed it didn't produce a huge krausen.

I thought if you blinked you missed the krausen with this stuff?
More or less, yeah. Pretty difficult to dry hop at high krausen when making NEIPAs. So I basically just, you know, don't do that.

More or less, yeah. Pretty difficult to dry hop at high krausen when making NEIPAs. So I basically just, you know, don't do that.

Yeah, it's a bit out in the schedule but I'mmatrya blue moon for my first Voss attempt. Julius hops. Complete orange bomb.

Nice. That sounds solid. I'm wanting to pick up some more Hothead or Hornindal. Really really liked it in a blonde ale and black IPA. Missing the ease of use: no oxygenation, chill to 90F, done.

I have been assuming 8 to 12 hours in is high krausen (I ferment in 10 gal corneys so I can’t see) with pretty good success. But it will come down to your conditions and process.

The hype is real folks.
I abused the living shite out of a tiny (3g) vial I got my paws on and it still produced a fantastic beer.
  • Pitched at over 40°c
  • No temp control
  • Carbed up fine in the bottle
  • Easy to harvest
Gonna treat the next iteration really nice like, see if I can get a nice clean "Pilsner" out of it. I shall report back in due time

The hype is real folks.
I abused the living poopye out of a tiny (3g) vial I got my paws on and it still produced a fantastic beer.
  • Pitched at over 40°c
  • No temp control
  • Carbed up fine in the bottle
  • Easy to harvest
Gonna treat the next iteration really nice like, see if I can get a nice clean "Pilsner" out of it. I shall report back in due time
Let us know!

You can also try the variety ubbe, it is supposed to be like a lager if fermented at 37c. That's what I want to do next.

Let us know!

You can also try the variety ubbe, it is supposed to be like a lager if fermented at 37c. That's what I want to do next.

Honestly trying to keep a beer at 37c sounds like too much work. I'm really a fan of the KISS principle. Also, I want to have as few ingredients as possible for turnover purposes

Honestly trying to keep a beer at 37c sounds like too much work. I'm really a fan of the KISS principle. Also, I want to have as few ingredients as possible for turnover purposes
Just pitch it at 37c, wrap it into a blanket and be done with it!

Till it starts to really cool, fermentation is over.

That's basically my definition of kiss!

I have some porter right now, bottled 2 weeks ago, and the plastic bottles are just finally starting to firm up a bit. It was in the fermenter for 2 weeks.

One thing I have noticed is that although it doesn’t throw off flavors and the beer is drinkable nearly from the get go, it gets better with about a month + age. The stout I brewed four weeks ago is really starting to be great. It was a drinkable beer but nothing special.

Latest posts

Back