The Texas BBQ Thread (no Pork allowed)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As someone from Texas....you mother ****ers don't got **** on some well done Carolina-style pulled pork.

But yeah Brisket can be bomb, and beef ribs are legit but **** right off with thinking pork doesn't belong....truth is you ****ers just don't know how to do it so you dismiss it.

Come at me. I'm ready.
Know of any places in Charlotte, NC? I'll be headed there next week. I've read up on a few reviews but I don't know what the **** to believe. I'd rather get a recommendation from someone in the know than a bunch of yelpers.

Know of any places in Charlotte, NC? I'll be headed there next week. I've read up on a few reviews but I don't know what the **** to believe. I'd rather get a recommendation from someone in the know than a bunch of yelpers.
Not familiar with Charlotte enough. Maybe JulianB or ASUBeer. Surely there is a Charlotte contingent here.

Not familiar with Charlotte enough. Maybe JulianB or ASUBeer. Surely there is a Charlotte contingent here.

JohnnyNC

I don't know what the good BBQ places are in Charlotte, go there periodically but haven't chased that kind of food there.

One of the San Antonio tasting crew moved to Charlotte. May want to ask James Cain or John if they still talk to them.

cfh64 are you flying in to Charlotte or driving there?

I'm not familiar with the Charlotte bbq SceneKit there are some good places north of Charlotte.

cfh64 are you flying in to Charlotte or driving there?

I'm not familiar with the Charlotte bbq SceneKit there are some good places north of Charlotte.
Flying in and renting a car. There may be a day or two I can drive an hour away but that's about as far as I'll go. Ya know, bars and drinking take priority.

Yeah, it's so great that you have to cover it in vinegar, brown sugar, sauce, cole slaw and whatever other **** you have lying around under the kitchen sink.

Salt and pepper is all our meats need.... because we actually know how to cook them.

Clearly you've never been to Eastern North Carolina then

This. If you're going to wait in line anyway, you might as well drink while doing it. And since Austin is pretty flexible about public drinking laws (you can drink in public almost anywhere) its not an issue. Typically arrive around 8 with chairs and coolers, drink while sitting comfortably for 3 hours, and then down some ****ing kick ass BBQ to finish it off. And then I go home and go to sleep ;) We should plan one soon, before it gets too hot.

As for the pork thing, there are definitely places in Austin that have pork on the menu, and Franklin does a great pork rib and pulled pork. But its just few and far between. Sausage is pretty much all beef - Franklin makes his with beef heart, which is pretty ****ing flavorful, although I think J. Mueller had the best sausage in town (....wait for it.....)

****. Now I want BBQ

This is solid advice and what we usually do when I go with my friends. Pickup some breakfast tacos at Tacos Veracruz All Natural. Cruise over to Franklin and setup shop with our chairs and cooler. Eat said tacos. Drink coffee. Start sharing beer. Play some cards. Make it in for brisket around 11:30-12. Food coma and a giant poo.

Flying in and renting a car. There may be a day or two I can drive an hour away but that's about as far as I'll go. Ya know, bars and drinking take priority.

I'd probably just stick around charlotte. Charlotte also doesn't have a good rep for bbq but they've got a ton of other great food options. Enjoy.

I will be in East Carolina for a wedding. Tell me where to go plz
B's
Parkers
Skylight inn

These are great suggestions. B's was probably my favorite but you gotta get there early (albeit not Franklin early). Skylight Inn was my 2nd favorite meat and the crunchy cracklins mixed in elevated another level.

Wilber's, Grady's and Bum's were good too

Gatlins on the come up and Killens is the spot for sure. im keeping my eyes on Brews BBQ.
i've had some ribs from them before they were open and it was on point.
and when you're feeling hood....Burns BBQ goes down.
You need to start another thread for black BBQ, I used to live between Burns BBQ and Petrol Station, that was an unbelievable location. Burns is closed on Monday too.

Texas has the beef BBQ game on lock. Sidenote: they're also basically the only ones in that game. Smoking a pork shoulder is infinitely easier than a brisket. Pork is basically impossible to screw up, and brisket is the opposite.

After having lived in NM, TX, AR, SC, AZ, GA, TX again, and AR again, I will declare TX style BBQ (salt & pepper + oak smoke) is my preference. However, a good fatty brisket only just edges out a simply done (salt, pepper, brown sugar) pork butt on hickory smoke.

Texas has the beef BBQ game on lock. Sidenote: they're also basically the only ones in that game. Smoking a pork shoulder is infinitely easier than a brisket. Pork is basically impossible to screw up, and brisket is the opposite.

After having lived in NM, TX, AR, SC, AZ, GA, TX again, and AR again, I will declare TX style BBQ (salt & pepper + oak smoke) is my preference. However, a good fatty brisket only just edges out a simply done (salt, pepper, brown sugar) pork butt on hickory smoke.
I like my brisket with super creamy mac & cheese baked on top.

oeIRcZ3.gif

You have truly lived in a lot of awful places.

I'm not looking to start a debate but whole hog is where it's at. Shoulder, ribs, ham, cheek meat. That's how you do pork.

Also, as MordorMongo mentioned, damn you've lived in some terrible places.

I'm not looking to start a debate but whole hog is where it's at. Shoulder, ribs, ham, cheek meat. That's how you do pork.

Also, as MordorMongo mentioned, damn you've lived in some terrible places.
I've had whole hog a few times, and I agree. I would assume most people don't have the resources/time to do whole hog every time they want some bbq pork. A couple friends and I are planning to do one soon, though.

You guys don't know what you're talking about. Arkansas is a great place to live.

h8erz

Don't make me start an Arkansas thread where I sit in there by myself eating rice and soybeans while I call them Hogs from the Clinton Presidential Library.
Literally no one would care.

Arkansas is only surpassed by Iowa and Indiana in terms of places no ****ing body cares about.

Last edited:
I've had whole hog a few times, and I agree. I would assume most people don't have the resources/time to do whole hog every time they want some bbq pork. A couple friends and I are planning to do one soon, though.

You guys don't know what you're talking about. Arkansas is a great place to live.

h8erz

In college for football tailgate hogs we'd just throw a tarp down in a bath tub and put in the salted pig on Thursdays then cart the smoker out on Friday and fire it up. This would probably only fly in a house of dudes though.

Go Wolfpack!

That was all before those fools shot some guys in the tailgate grounds and you could camp out at the fairgrounds all night long for a Saturday game with no restriction. When that happened out car was in the police barricade and we had to get rides home :(

Literally no one would care.

Arkansas is only surpassed by Iowa and Indiana in terms of places no ****ing body cares about.

That's how we like it.

I would argue we are tied with Wyoming, Oklahoma, Utah, and all parts of NV that aren't Las Vegas.

In college for football tailgate hogs we'd just throw a tarp down in a bath tub and put in the salted pig on Thursdays then cart the smoker out on Friday and fire it up. This would probably only fly in a house of dudes though.

Go Wolfpack!

That was all before those fools shot some guys in the tailgate grounds and you could camp out at the fairgrounds all night long for a Saturday game with no restriction. When that happened out car was in the police barricade and we had to get rides home :(

Never thought about that technique of brining/marinating.. I will have to use it.

Back