The Texas BBQ Thread (no Pork allowed)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any BBQ places in Houston that are cool with drinking in line? Was thinking either Killens or Tejas Craftory

You can drink at any of them if you put it in a closed cup and no one notices. Now if they are "cool with it" that I can not answer. Although I did drink in line at corkscrew bbq.

You can drink at any of them if you put it in a closed cup and no one notices. Now if they are "cool with it" that I can not answer. Although I did drink in line at corkscrew bbq.

Pretty much what I figured, didn't think it would really be like it is at Franklins or Micklethwait

Went to Black Box in Goergetown today (Mueller's new spot). Half IPA sneaking in the background there...
MRK4p3T.jpg

30 min wait for la BBQ was well worth it.
Pretty sure it's the best I've had.
It put Blacks in Lockhart the day before in a locker.

Went through a few free community tx helles as well. free beer...didn't know. eggsalent idea.

^^^that looks stupid.

are you doing the bbq circuit? how much $ are you spending at each stop?

You've clearly never been in a TX BBQ line.

Probably sucks to live somewhere without food that's worth lining up for. You ever wait in line for a beer?

I will never be in a TX BBQ line, because keyword line

No need. There are plenty of great beers on the shelf, or at breweries.
Same applies with food. the area i live in is packed with different cuisine from all cultures, including great bbq, michelin star resturants, and everything inbetween. Really no need for lines. Places around here do reservations...

Definetley wouldnt be waiting in line out there in the summer either. Not about that line life. To each their own, but at least the bbq is good.

Last edited:
I will never be in a TX BBQ line, because keyword line

No need. There are plenty of great beers on the shelf, or at breweries.
Same applies with food. the area i live in is packed with different cuisine from all cultures, including great bbq, michelin star resturants, and everything inbetween. Really no need for lines. Places around here do reservations...

Definetley wouldnt be waiting in line out there in the summer either. Not about that line life. To each their own, but at least the bbq is good.
But burnt ends.....

Franklin BBQ's smokehouse ever so slightly burned down today. They'll be closed "at least a few weeks" while they rebuild. Just in case anyone was planning on standing in that long ass line in the near future...

KXAN said cause of fire was a gust of wind blowing embers from the pits. And sounds like the pits got most of the damage :(

i know it's a chain, but I still think Rudy's cream corn is my favorite BBQ side.

So. Bad. For. Me.

You can feel as it clogs your heart while eating.

Also anywhere that has a corn bread or sweet potato casserole.

Texas Monthly BBQ Fest this year was great. The price went higher again which sucked but they are making changes each year that at least makes it feel less crowded. Tried all 30 places, which was an amazing mistake. My stomach still hurts.

Texas Monthly BBQ Fest this year was great. The price went higher again which sucked but they are making changes each year that at least makes it feel less crowded. Tried all 30 places, which was an amazing mistake. My stomach still hurts.

How long did you have to wait to try Snows/Franklin?

How long did you have to wait to try Snows/Franklin?

We did VIP again, waited 35 mins before the fest started, then 15 mins for franklins but while I waited my wife went and got food from the other places next to Franklins. No line for Snows. Around 2:15 the line for snows and franklins must have been 30 minutes plus for each.

Anyone have a good BBQ sauce recipe? Got a pork butt slow cooking, figured I'd give making my own sauce a shot.

Reviving this thread because want me some proper brisket when I visit in a few weeks.
Obviously Franklins gets a lot of pub and I'm sure littered with tourists. If I show up just before opening on a Thursday my wait will be what, 2-3hrs? I could swing by after but I'm ok with waiting a bit too.

Whats the current ranking of Austin BBQ?

Reviving this thread because want me some proper brisket when I visit in a few weeks.
Obviously Franklins gets a lot of pub and I'm sure littered with tourists. If I show up just before opening on a Thursday my wait will be what, 2-3hrs? I could swing by after but I'm ok with waiting a bit too.

Valentina’s <3 <3 <3

This is like asking people their favorite sports team... you're gonna get a different answer every time.
I haven't been in a while but there's a big ass line every day at 7am most days (they open at 11am). Make sure they're open when you're here... they go on "summer vacation" for a week once a year.

FWIW I don't stand in lines often. Stile Switch is still my go-to place in Austin.

Will second lutter on the stile & switch.

Get the beef rib(s).

When I went to Franklin's we ordered to go way ahead of time (weeks). We had to order a substantial amount, but it was a bunch of guys so no big deal. You get a pick up time and there is a separate point of sale in the back. We arrived and picked up our food in ten minutes. Best brisket I have ever had by a long shot. We ate it at a nearby beer bar. Might be an option for you.

When I went to Franklin's we ordered to go way ahead of time (weeks). We had to order a substantial amount, but it was a bunch of guys so no big deal. You get a pick up time and there is a separate point of sale in the back. We arrived and picked up our food in ten minutes. Best brisket I have ever had by a long shot. We ate it at a nearby beer bar. Might be an option for you.

I stood in line over the summer. Wayyy better than a Disneyland line because I got drown my time in live oak. Also, I will only ever brisket when I go back. It was wonderful and that's all I want to eat as there is only so much room in my body. I wanted to order ahead but I'm a terrible planner and it was a good amount you needed to order ahead of time. This seems like a great option for a group of people.
I showed up an hour before opening and was safe but it seemed like I was.... Lucky...

Back