The Texas BBQ Thread (no Pork allowed)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok so screw that. Too lazy to read through all this. Gimme some other places to try. Probably making a day trip from Houston tomorrow.

J Mueller or just drive to Taylor or Lockhart. I don't know if I can recommend La BBQ yet. I've heard about consistency issues since they got their new pitmaster.

J Mueller or just drive to Taylor or Lockhart. I don't know if I can recommend La BBQ yet. I've heard about consistency issues since they got their new pitmaster.
Think you got it backwards. J Mueller is the inconsistent place lately.

On a friday, LA bbq will still have a line, but at least it's not as absurd as the Franklin one. Micklethwait is a solid pick too (bonus points for bread made in house)

Then there is the place I always suggest that is consistent in both quality and never having lines, however no one ever seems to take the suggestion, so perhaps not.

Think you got it backwards. J Mueller is the inconsistent place lately.

On a friday, LA bbq will still have a line, but at least it's not as absurd as the Franklin one. Micklethwait is a solid pick too (bonus points for bread made in house)

Then there is the place I always suggest that is consistent in both quality and never having lines, however no one ever seems to take the suggestion, so perhaps not.
I will take your suggestions. I'll be in Austin labor day weekend and I need the meat.

Stiles Switch?
Kerlin... and gotta be honest, part of me worries about how much business they get considering there is never, ever a wait.

Though I will try Stiles Switch soon since I work nearby.

And updating on what I'd posted a while back to throw in Micklethwait now that I tried 'em:
Smitty's > Kerlin > LA BBQ > Franklin > Micklethwait > John Mueller > Snow's > Terry Black's > Pecan Lodge > Kreuz/Black's/Louie Mueller/City Market

7am, lol.

Apparently people have had luck going after 11am, when they open, and following in after the line, at least according to kmello69

Last week they Tweeted at 2:30pm and said they had plenty of brisket and no line. I almost ran down there. It might not happen every day, but since they added a lot more pits, they often have meat into the afternoon with little to no line.

In terms of "walk in the door and grab BBQ with no wait" no place in town is better than Terry Blacks. Pretty much my go-to for BBQ now

Rudy's is the best, and you can fill up your car with gas.

Next best option after that would be to get a McRib.

ribwich.gif

coming up from houston if you take 71 through bastrop id detour to blacks in lockhart if youve never been. Not the bestest but very good stuff.

i recommend the beef rib as big as the flinstones.

Hey man, Rudy's is actually really good for a chain.

Their Smoked Potato stuffed with Brisket at the New Braunfel's location is one of the things I just have to have after a day at Schlitterbahn.

I'd take that ahead of some of the more famous Austin locales (Salt Lick, Iron Works, Stubb's). If we're gonna make fun of drive-thru brisket, let's make fun of Bill Miller BBQ.

Last edited:
Hey man, Rudy's is actually really good for a chain.

Their Smoked Potato stuffed with Brisket at the New Braunfel's location is one of the things I just have to have after a day at Schlitterbahn.

I'd take that ahead of some of the more famous Austin locales (Salt Lick, Iron Works, Stubb's). If we're gonna make fun of drive-thru brisket, let's make fun of Bill Miller BBQ.
I was just trying to provoke BBQ elitists.

Rudy's is basically all we had in Laredo. When it was on, it was pretty good. They had major consistency issues, though. Several times I got inedible rubberband brisket.

Rudy's is basically all we had in Laredo. When it was on, it was pretty good. They had major consistency issues, though. Several times I got inedible rubberband brisket.
Maybe it's because they're now based here and I go to the "flagship" location most of the time on 183 (right next to their corporate office ;) )

I imagine the bosses eat there every day, so they're tending not the **** it up.

Maybe it's because they're now based here and I go to the "flagship" location most of the time on 183 (right next to their corporate office ;) )

I imagine the bosses eat there every day, so they're tending not the **** it up.
I've eaten at a few locations that have always been pretty damn good. The Laredo one was just characteristically Laredo-y. Everything that opens there eventually sucks.

Just went to Slow Bones for the first time. The meat is good (not in Pecan Lodge's class IMO), but those sides are killer. Very impressed and will be back.

I mentioned this in the TX thread, but tomorrow I'll be in town looking to pick up lunch for 9 people.

Ideally somewhere close to downtown, with as little expected wait as possible for the best bang on the brisket.

I asked about Micklethwait but would LA BBQ be a possibility? I've been wanting to try them for a while. I haven't been to Austin in years.

Other suggestions?

Staying on Rainey.

Email em, info is on their site. Tell 'em you want a catering order since it sounds like you want at least 4-5lbs of food (assuming each person eats like half a pound). Would also suggest Terry Black's on Riverside if you for sure want no fuss.

I mentioned this in the TX thread, but tomorrow I'll be in town looking to pick up lunch for 9 people.

Ideally somewhere close to downtown, with as little expected wait as possible for the best bang on the brisket.

I asked about Micklethwait but would LA BBQ be a possibility? I've been wanting to try them for a while. I haven't been to Austin in years.

Other suggestions?

Staying on Rainey.
La Barbecue has always been around a 30 to 45 min wait for me, but that was always on a Saturday. You should be fine, however earlier in this thread there was a bit of consensus that their quality has dipped a bit since John Lewis left. A few months have passed, so an Austin local may know if that has changed.

Email em, info is on their site. Tell 'em you want a catering order since it sounds like you want at least 4-5lbs of food (assuming each person eats like half a pound). Would also suggest Terry Black's on Riverside if you for sure want no fuss.
I went to Terry Black's a few weeks ago. No wait and pretty solid.

I also finally tried sides at Micklethwait and god damn I've been doing it all wrong.... those jalapeno grits are awesome.

Here's my non texan input since i've been to Franklin's when they just changed from their tiny location to their big one and the line up was very small. I've been 3x, the last one with Daniel Vaughn of TM and a tour bus full of houston people. We got on a bus around 8am to travel to snows/louie mueller/and franklins. No line ups, unlimited beers, all you can eat at each location. It was heaven. Franklin's was all around better, but Louie Muellers beef rib is the best I've had. Snows has a great atmosphere, I love her. Glad I went, but I don't think I'll go to Snows (too far with no car) or Franklin's (too busy) again.

Last time I was in austin (2 years ago) I went to LA bbq and was kinda let down. Might've been how damn cold/rainy it was.

Looking forward to trying Micklethwait this time (sold out of most time last time I went) and maybe Kerlin as well. It's too bad J Mueller is closed since we got a place near there.

The only reasons I'd go to Franklin are either getting lucky passing by late in the day a la kmello69 (which has happened to me like twice) or a bottle share dragging me out early. Someone visiting from out of town would have to do some serious convincing to talk me into it considering I've got the low/no effort spots nailed down now.

M-Train BBQ is the new spot where J. Mueller used to be. Tried it last weekend and it was ok. Ribs were the standout (good bark and nice texture/pull coming off the bone), but brisket was a hair above places like Salt Lick or Rudy's. Dry and nothing really memorable. I wouldn't go back considering both Kerlin and Micklethwait are both nearby and way better.

They can easily be an hour+
The best time to head that way would be after 1p or around dinner time. Mornings, nope...line starts @ 10a

I could get there between 1 and 2 on a Friday. Sounds like that would be a better idea? Do they run out of stuff?

Here's my non texan input since i've been to Franklin's when they just changed from their tiny location to their big one and the line up was very small. I've been 3x, the last one with Daniel Vaughn of TM and a tour bus full of houston people. We got on a bus around 8am to travel to snows/louie mueller/and franklins. No line ups, unlimited beers, all you can eat at each location. It was heaven. Franklin's was all around better, but Louie Muellers beef rib is the best I've had. Snows has a great atmosphere, I love her. Glad I went, but I don't think I'll go to Snows (too far with no car) or Franklin's (too busy) again.

Last time I was in austin (2 years ago) I went to LA bbq and was kinda let down. Might've been how damn cold/rainy it was.

Looking forward to trying Micklethwait this time (sold out of most time last time I went) and maybe Kerlin as well. It's too bad J Mueller is closed since we got a place near there.

I was on that trip also.

Back