The Texas BBQ Thread (no Pork allowed)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stopped by Old 300 BBQ in Blanco last week. Their Akaushi brisket is up there with some of the best brisket I've ever had. Good price too at $22/lb for a higher quality of meat. Just look at it!
17492759_1300012993387411_5233920193526226688_o.jpg

Last edited:
http://dining.blog.austin360.com/20...ew-barbecue-trailer-and-plans-for-restaurant/

John Mueller is coming back! Abiet in Georgetown (which, being in far North Austin is actually easier for me than Downtown).

I want dem beef ribs right ****ing now.

Hopefully John doesn't **** this up for a 3rd time because I really do think he's the finest pitmaster in Texas.

Man I tend to agree that he is great, but I just don't think I can give him any business anymore. Him not paying taxes is his thing, I don't care if he screws over the government. But JM screwing over his sister, employees, a charity event, and his suppliers is just a bit to much for me. I can take his attitude, that is part of the shtick of John, and I can take the drunkenness and his non-consistent bbq cause he was good more then bad. But the guy didn't pay bills and paychecks, lied about deals and money, made promises he didn't keep, and then went and bad mouthed all these people and blamed them, just like he did with his brother 10 years ago.

Man I tend to agree that he is great, but I just don't think I can give him any business anymore. Him not paying taxes is his thing, I don't care if he screws over the government. But JM screwing over his sister, employees, a charity event, and his suppliers is just a bit to much for me. I can take his attitude, that is part of the shtick of John, and I can take the drunkenness and his non-consistent bbq cause he was good more then bad. But the guy didn't pay bills and paychecks, lied about deals and money, made promises he didn't keep, and then went and bad mouthed all these people and blamed them, just like he did with his brother 10 years ago.
Dude definitely has a ton of personal & family issues, I will give you that.

He's paying for it though... he is pitmaster only in this new business and is not a partner. I don't think any one would trust the guy as a business partner any more.

Dude definitely has a ton of personal & family issues, I will give you that.

He's paying for it though... he is pitmaster only in this new business and is not a partner. I don't think any one would trust the guy as a business partner any more.

Hard to imagine he agreed to go into a business without taking an equity stake even if he doesn't have any management authority in the business.

Hard to imagine he agreed to go into a business without taking an equity stake even if he doesn't have any management authority in the business.
I think you're prolly right after looking at their website and seeing "John Mueller's Black Box BBQ". He's got his name on there. Publicly though, he's a silent partner if he is one.

Heading to Wimberley this weekend, City Market or Blacks?

Lulling City Market? Or a different one? Is there one in Wimberley I have actually never been there. If Lulling, then year go for that! that sausage is so tasty. Blacks may be better all around however (variety of meats and sides)

We ended up in Georgetown today so naturally we stopped by John Mueller's new place...

B4A649CF-F588-4820-B429-A7A0BF0FAD5E_zpsv25jvqmu.jpg

They are only serving brisket and sausage sandwiches at the moment but **** if the brisket wasn't the best I've had in recent memory with that signature JM pepper bark.

We ended up in Georgetown today so naturally we stopped by John Mueller's new place...

They are only serving brisket and sausage sandwiches at the moment but **** if the brisket wasn't the best I've had in recent memory with that signature JM pepper bark.

Was he drunk?

We headed down to San Antonio today to try 2M Smokehouse. Best bbq I have tried since the golden age of LA Barbecue with John Lewis.

x2xTOlxW5oESfsJtDraXhSYJ4z6fbO2A8JrDsp2Vny9HpqjbLQeD07YrFzE7L0DF_sF4l14PRFjNFhtjIKVcx7yexOQa6NOMrUSDM5bmor_qj3KCR6e1RZilOXy3HmzcV_-xQT3i_wYPzT2dQtRxxstFeCucuyIC_lDS_YNnFqfEAzP_dvhMPLIac6wZnejQTYNbS149JpcLifWhYM9Hwt7X76OFp4H4ia6T3lWdLtC68yl7A-BnRCOf_jk8uDgQrctFGP__acEKLst5cis_kZbffIVP4BhIqkb7GSWY8glDL4LQE88C5cg1OB8j0MpcurS_Phf3ciGzLL6HO5jKSaooJ6uTKSsKbJqAQu_lqiieGF5tpP_7BLAJosT6_XkG8lSaBebGjFv5B9K-qFTtrXlvZNQ8E5BaGhlcOzSIoLw-cXFpP2bypYxaL7n353sZ_Az0701ZUdMQpe20ik_0rns2gIC1Dsx3Qb0bhY2znB8gQWUDvzvqibInwxYFuAVJsqyNkfzeU6AF2sFBU7F3KWA2caNzO69b9hBFHdCsZZrcgsOFQ_lO9agb_hUfLrisf5ys_5pr6faubNSxoIh4vmWR4Uq8T8MnbGo8GzmDJ7fbQOYcjOGzCxmC1NYmcoA5PWzgIM_6_70pT_NIIJUktboNB9LAlWjyWWs6mMpIVA=w358-h635-no

Cr48TUKR07w6WzrvOnse-ps1yORWSduhqVdsWnVTMDse0awlz3bArZT5zm81pv3hQ3tJToBY6jw_Trr5-qItjQT_SJcjPCF5DDu3GmxFIzdPxWH2gL5a_rwm_FrkN1s_OOMiU2GYy1zTp3eJyt0U9J8Q1SPE8xPIqgWG0Xd8MxULOGgv0euTDsjJf10MNtHpDrDqGH4XHcdxYluvt7PRxDDnA5xkIoIbv00FIC36zFfUzgTYi5WTnKsmeg-gb43tNaBiW5z8RE81JnhJ-knda94dx-2vtK2-wud8iD9pV5M5zGmZ7Co9bxkdW3hcsViIwbYYCqGr3T4RjFfEv24ZW9fKWe14sRXgEwKzqHJOMjsqXcL2IBnCzpFhfbxCgQ0yr7py_Mxs9MDg-FCIO86VXCFD26niaHkYr2tsQJGp3RAWCjgsC1RCELLRLfPLly3_B2t_e5Hwm9cYDrrGWZhR07L7S04UZoACbH6f2DJBBLKcd0JbS7q0LgVTrxkmgrn91_Ch6lmo3qD0cJrQ0S4ZHG7y8fPkxsfN9hn81MAYdEYu8r9JifUvPtNwDFynPYsfdRDDrd5l6M3-A-sqOlQNWGrzEoCaHkV7KSoiDdTAOCHM0fKFb2QqpncPDLyJXPc48nxdaKVfS2fCv7j9n4toORIFZhK9H42jcmxYAWxmrQ=w1129-h635-no

J-XWCsNlfgUIYNX2GTLkGUViVEH4QYuo1NdBZ9OjxlobkLEpquhMBlKhH-rQFzO58v6F7v0VM0v_J_a4l7yMUvDas1vdD5rgmRD5Mt4P0HmJ2oY-FIESoZkJik-E5mv7x2dvXLqk3Xy4VJQ-ASKLgG5FBJ07wUGK5ajfWGsmME-hrUDD4hTIKaJ5LC6ekoyZh4505NvmRDcGB-avFdTWOD69Np7-KECaQ6qxszu3Ozut57MEfA16euY880N1Nbdv4J6FlkzMfyyJJ3fsgLOhONYqlyCMNMBFi5Abvp7bYUmLyxro9mcsIE0KmuG9Htxq_dnZ5RTn1QQK2xbqNQlfWrnfvnJ-MuKon5-Zl2Ip5fQvfetg0U_UJIzoso9qzSSB1X5QoUlY0twWL_gB7sVh8mBIvufn2MdxDzcfWI_ZQM2hg_XMYEuW40SvJglvLBeizSQ0YkRb07gUaBekLY6vd2XZQPkX5bJHritW5-skKKSRUhQX69D7Q0YPnwXGqrHmhJ-R6ss86FMLQDLKcBFDKHQ6hGKxOuexm7Ig8BuTehelKA-0B8_5sXnmfZsfngroSVp27VkuPjR0G6sPHIFHwXz4A_yUEGcBmy8e3xYsxrN6GkbnNowe=w1129-h635-no

Was he drunk?

We headed down to San Antonio today to try 2M Smokehouse. Best bbq I have tried since the golden age of LA Barbecue with John Lewis.

x2xTOlxW5oESfsJtDraXhSYJ4z6fbO2A8JrDsp2Vny9HpqjbLQeD07YrFzE7L0DF_sF4l14PRFjNFhtjIKVcx7yexOQa6NOMrUSDM5bmor_qj3KCR6e1RZilOXy3HmzcV_-xQT3i_wYPzT2dQtRxxstFeCucuyIC_lDS_YNnFqfEAzP_dvhMPLIac6wZnejQTYNbS149JpcLifWhYM9Hwt7X76OFp4H4ia6T3lWdLtC68yl7A-BnRCOf_jk8uDgQrctFGP__acEKLst5cis_kZbffIVP4BhIqkb7GSWY8glDL4LQE88C5cg1OB8j0MpcurS_Phf3ciGzLL6HO5jKSaooJ6uTKSsKbJqAQu_lqiieGF5tpP_7BLAJosT6_XkG8lSaBebGjFv5B9K-qFTtrXlvZNQ8E5BaGhlcOzSIoLw-cXFpP2bypYxaL7n353sZ_Az0701ZUdMQpe20ik_0rns2gIC1Dsx3Qb0bhY2znB8gQWUDvzvqibInwxYFuAVJsqyNkfzeU6AF2sFBU7F3KWA2caNzO69b9hBFHdCsZZrcgsOFQ_lO9agb_hUfLrisf5ys_5pr6faubNSxoIh4vmWR4Uq8T8MnbGo8GzmDJ7fbQOYcjOGzCxmC1NYmcoA5PWzgIM_6_70pT_NIIJUktboNB9LAlWjyWWs6mMpIVA=w358-h635-no

Cr48TUKR07w6WzrvOnse-ps1yORWSduhqVdsWnVTMDse0awlz3bArZT5zm81pv3hQ3tJToBY6jw_Trr5-qItjQT_SJcjPCF5DDu3GmxFIzdPxWH2gL5a_rwm_FrkN1s_OOMiU2GYy1zTp3eJyt0U9J8Q1SPE8xPIqgWG0Xd8MxULOGgv0euTDsjJf10MNtHpDrDqGH4XHcdxYluvt7PRxDDnA5xkIoIbv00FIC36zFfUzgTYi5WTnKsmeg-gb43tNaBiW5z8RE81JnhJ-knda94dx-2vtK2-wud8iD9pV5M5zGmZ7Co9bxkdW3hcsViIwbYYCqGr3T4RjFfEv24ZW9fKWe14sRXgEwKzqHJOMjsqXcL2IBnCzpFhfbxCgQ0yr7py_Mxs9MDg-FCIO86VXCFD26niaHkYr2tsQJGp3RAWCjgsC1RCELLRLfPLly3_B2t_e5Hwm9cYDrrGWZhR07L7S04UZoACbH6f2DJBBLKcd0JbS7q0LgVTrxkmgrn91_Ch6lmo3qD0cJrQ0S4ZHG7y8fPkxsfN9hn81MAYdEYu8r9JifUvPtNwDFynPYsfdRDDrd5l6M3-A-sqOlQNWGrzEoCaHkV7KSoiDdTAOCHM0fKFb2QqpncPDLyJXPc48nxdaKVfS2fCv7j9n4toORIFZhK9H42jcmxYAWxmrQ=w1129-h635-no

J-XWCsNlfgUIYNX2GTLkGUViVEH4QYuo1NdBZ9OjxlobkLEpquhMBlKhH-rQFzO58v6F7v0VM0v_J_a4l7yMUvDas1vdD5rgmRD5Mt4P0HmJ2oY-FIESoZkJik-E5mv7x2dvXLqk3Xy4VJQ-ASKLgG5FBJ07wUGK5ajfWGsmME-hrUDD4hTIKaJ5LC6ekoyZh4505NvmRDcGB-avFdTWOD69Np7-KECaQ6qxszu3Ozut57MEfA16euY880N1Nbdv4J6FlkzMfyyJJ3fsgLOhONYqlyCMNMBFi5Abvp7bYUmLyxro9mcsIE0KmuG9Htxq_dnZ5RTn1QQK2xbqNQlfWrnfvnJ-MuKon5-Zl2Ip5fQvfetg0U_UJIzoso9qzSSB1X5QoUlY0twWL_gB7sVh8mBIvufn2MdxDzcfWI_ZQM2hg_XMYEuW40SvJglvLBeizSQ0YkRb07gUaBekLY6vd2XZQPkX5bJHritW5-skKKSRUhQX69D7Q0YPnwXGqrHmhJ-R6ss86FMLQDLKcBFDKHQ6hGKxOuexm7Ig8BuTehelKA-0B8_5sXnmfZsfngroSVp27VkuPjR0G6sPHIFHwXz4A_yUEGcBmy8e3xYsxrN6GkbnNowe=w1129-h635-no
He was chilling by the pit talking with some people. The pit is not near where most people are. This may be on purpose, lol.

Bumping this up since lately, Micklethwait is only a worthwhile stop if you're with a non meat eater who needs to be satisfied. The sides are of course on another level compared to anyone else, but the brisket I recently tried there was a total disaster.

My go-to's are now Kerlin and Brown's (really not like anyone goes there).

Freedmen's gets massive props for being super underrated. Killer happy hour - $5 bbq sandwiches and $3 for a pour of whatever bourbon they have on special for the month. Except, parking sucks ass in west campus.

Bumping this up since lately, Micklethwait is only a worthwhile stop if there's a non meat eater who needs to be satisfied. The brisket I recently tried there was a total disaster.

My go-to's are now Kerlin and Brown's (really not like anyone goes there).

Freedmen's gets massive props for being super underrated. Killer happy hour - $5 bbq sandwiches and $3 for a pour of whatever bourbon they have on special for the month. Except, parking sucks ass in west campus.

Oh thanks, maybe you should just let people know how amazing the Kerlin bbq kolaches are so that those are even harder to get also. (I actually have a brisket and pork packed for my lunch today!)

http://www.texasmonthly.com/food/the-list-the-top-50-barbecue-joints-in-texas/

The top 10:
  1. Snow’s BBQ, Lexington
  2. Franklin Barbecue, Austin
  3. Cattleack Barbeque, Dallas
  4. Bodacious Bar-B- Q, Longview
  5. Louie Mueller Barbecue, Taylor
  6. Tejas Chocolate Craftory, Tomball
  7. CorkScrew BBQ, Spring
  8. Micklethwait Craft Meats, Austin
  9. Evie Mae’s Pit Barbeque, Wolfforth
  10. Truth Barbeque, Brenham
I dig seeing new names. Been way too long since I've gone out for Snow's...

The top 10:
  1. Snow’s BBQ, Lexington
  7. CorkScrew BBQ, Spring

**** man, now the lines at Truth and Tejas are going to be so much worse.

I live like 10 min from Tejas. It's damn good. Honestly didn't expect to see it on a list like this.

Plus some killer chocolate (all made in house), and a great place right next door for coffee/pastries/breakfast. Wife and I frequent old town Tomball.

Pretty awesome to see Snow's at the top. I always try to swing over there prior to a football game when I'm in town. I love brisket at 8am.

Also cool to see Corkscrews on there. Franklins is great obviously. Never been to the other 7.

Surprised Terry Black's made it. I don't dislike them, but wouldn't put them ahead of Brown's or Kerlin.

Glad I was able to hit up Truth during my last drive out to Houston, since I'm sure they will get a lot busier now.

Overall I've been to 14 of the top 50. I got some work to do...

The top 10:
  1. Snow’s BBQ, Lexington
  7. CorkScrew BBQ, Spring
Kinda surprised that the Pecan Lodge isn't on the top 10 list...

Their brisket is ****ing killer there. Need to check out Cattleack next time I'm in that neck of the woods.

Having my wife bring home some Cattleack on Thursday.

While I am not sure if it is truly Top 10 quality, not seeing The Slow Bone in the Top 50 was a surprise. Their meat is not Pecan Lodge, but they are not far behind and have killer sides.

Always had a feeling Cattleack had potential and they deserve that spot on the list. Even in their early days, they'd put out brisket that totally blew away Pecan Lodge's and it sounds like they've got things dialed in now.

Their brisket is ****ing killer there. Need to check out Cattleack next time I'm in that neck of the woods.

Yeah I was surprised that Pecan went from Top 5 to not even Top 10. Though that could be saying more about how many great options have opened in the 4 years since the last list. I too plan on going to Cattleack next time I'm up there.

Having my wife bring home some Cattleack on Thursday.

While I am not sure if it is truly Top 10 quality, not seeing The Slow Bone in the Top 50 was a surprise. Their meat is not Pecan Lodge, but they are not far behind and have killer sides.

Vaughn was actually at Slow Bone today and says it's one of his favs. Maybe the other contributors outvoted him on that one?

The top 10:
  1. Snow’s BBQ, Lexington
  7. CorkScrew BBQ, Spring

I have had 30 so still need to try 20; 8 of these I never even heard of. Excited to try to tick them all off over the next year. I think Bodacious, Truth, and Tejas will be top of list.

I'm pretty pleased with the whole list and glad 2M got some coverage. I don't see anything I think is sacrilege with being included or left off, but was surprised with a few actual ratings. Also agree with the person who said TerryBlacks is good but maybe not as good as others. But man when they nail the brisket there it is incredible. They have some variance, but it is across the street from my work so I have gone a few times this last year.

For me Louie Mueller is still the best in the state but I have a lot of bias being it is were I feel in love with BBQ, and my wife (different trips) and were we had our rehearsal dinner.

Get ready for a really bad line. They are slow like Frankins on a weekend when Aaron is working. Also, they are a place where the line doesn't get stupid until about 20 mins before open, at least that is how it was before this list came out. Now, well good luck.

I'm pretty pleased with the whole list and glad 2M got some coverage. I don't see anything I think is sacrilege with being included or left off, but was surprised with a few actual ratings. Also agree with the person who said TerryBlacks is good but maybe not as good as others. But man when they nail the brisket there it is incredible. They have some variance, but it is across the street from my work so I have gone a few times this last year.

Selfishly I wish 2M didn't make it since I know they already get pretty busy and now after this they'll be getting huge lines. But still, I'll make sure to check them out next time I'm in San Antonio.

I really like Terry Black's turkey, but yeah their other meats can be inconsistent. When it's on, it's great, when it's off it's marginally better than Rudy's. One thing I will say for Terry Black's (and Stiles Switch) it is a lot more difficult having to serve high quality bbq for lunch and dinner, compared to the other popular Austin joints who are basically lunch only.

Depending on North or South of town these are my 2 go-to places when out-of-towners ask for BBQ dinner places.

Bonus: when you eat at Stiles Switch you can re-enact this scene:

giphy.gif

(Stiles Switch is in the building that was The Emporium)

That was filmed there? Holy **** I have to go now

That was filmed there? Holy **** I have to go now
The outside scenes were. The inside is in another building cause Hollywood, y'all. There's actually a lot of Dazed & Confused related places in that area... it's right near the Top Notch Burger (which actually has some D&C props inside [paddles])

I have had 30 so still need to try 20; 8 of these I never even heard of. Excited to try to tick them all off over the next year. I think Bodacious, Truth, and Tejas will be top of list.

For me Louie Mueller is still the best in the state but I have a lot of bias being it is were I feel in love with BBQ, and my wife (different trips) and were we had our rehearsal dinner.

That 2m love is real! They changed the game in San Antonio for sure.

Any BBQ places in Houston that are cool with drinking in line? Was thinking either Killens or Tejas Craftory

Any BBQ places in Houston that are cool with drinking in line? Was thinking either Killens or Tejas Craftory

Pretty sure you can nix Killens off the list. Unless you're drinking their Lone Star keg they put out, I've never seen anyone open bottles there. Unless you're slick about it into coffee cups or something.

Of course I've never asked, but I'm willing to be it'll be a hard no.

Back