The Texas BBQ Thread (no Pork allowed)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here in Dallas I would have to say that the Fried Beef Rib at Pecan Lodge is pretty incredible, living in Oak Cliff however, I will take the slightly less coveted with significantly shorter line at Lockhart's over Pecan Lodge most every time. Plus their deviled eggs with brisket in them are to die for.

Hot. Guts.

As in spicy, ground up beef guts and pieces of meat.
Hi6LsYs.gif

As someone from Texas....you mother ****ers don't got **** on some well done Carolina-style pulled pork.

But yeah Brisket can be bomb, and beef ribs are legit but **** right off with thinking pork doesn't belong....truth is you ****ers just don't know how to do it so you dismiss it.

Come at me. I'm ready.

As someone from Texas....you mother ****ers don't got **** on some well done Carolina-style pulled pork.

But yeah Brisket can be bomb, and beef ribs are legit but **** right off with thinking pork doesn't belong....truth is you ****ers just don't know how to do it so you dismiss it.

Come at me. I'm ready.
Yeah, it's so great that you have to cover it in vinegar, brown sugar, sauce, cole slaw and whatever other **** you have lying around under the kitchen sink.

Salt and pepper is all our meats need.... because we actually know how to cook them.

Yeah, it's so great that you have to cover it in vinegar, brown sugar, sauce, cole slaw and whatever other **** you have lying around under the kitchen sink.

Salt and pepper is all our meats need.... because we actually know how to cook them.
Hahahaha keep telling yourself that. That **** is for amateurs. Pulled pork with some intact bark is all a man needs. Screw all that unneeded nonsense.

Texan here, living in Austin, home of the proclaimed best BBQ joint in the USA per bon appetite. Fatty brisket just barely edges out smoked pork for me. Not a lot of people can make brisket that I would prefer over hog, so it's usually what I order along with my brisket to scale a place. You can't rate a place just because they make one item well, they need to make everything well. The pig I did for my birthday in February rivaled any smoked meat I've ever had. I might be slightly biased since it was the exact flavor brine, rub, and wood smoke that I wanted. Plus hours of my life. The eyes, cheeks, and skin which I turned into a pork jerky were absolutely tits. Still have freezer bags of shredded hams/shoulders I'm working through as well.

8bNrmj2.jpg

xk3gGxJ.jpg

4r6jO6e.jpg

Last edited:

I like it both ways. Just depends on my mood.

What's the third part of the Austin triangle so to speak? I've been to Franklin and La, but isn't there a third place that's widely considered to be among the best, too?

What's the third part of the Austin triangle so to speak? I've been to Franklin and La, but isn't there a third place that's widely considered to be among the best, too?
John Mueller Meat Co & Micklethwait Craft Meats are both highly regarded as well.

Also the general consensus is that LA has declined in quality due to changes in pitmasters.

Texan here, living in Austin, home of the proclaimed best BBQ joint in the USA per bon appetite. Fatty brisket just barely edges out smoked pork for me. Not a lot of people can make brisket that I would prefer over hog, so it's usually what I order along with my brisket to scale a place. You can't rate a place just because they make one item well, they need to make everything well. The pig I did for my birthday in February rivaled any smoked meat I've ever had. I might be slightly biased since it was the exact flavor brine, rub, and wood smoke that I wanted. Plus hours of my life. The eyes, cheeks, and skin which I turned into a pork jerky were absolutely tits. Still have freezer bags of shredded hams/shoulders I'm working through as well.

8bNrmj2.jpg

xk3gGxJ.jpg

4r6jO6e.jpg
Careful. They make revoke your citizenship and kick you out to godforsaken Oklahoma.

Pork just isn't traditional. Gawd, I feel like a broken record.

MordorMongo come to Austin so I can fill you with some quality beef. We can even try to find some pulled pork for you.
I left Texas about the time you were born. No plans to go back. But should that change we can party.

It's possible I'm your dad.

So, any interest here in doing an order ahead at Franklin's for a bottle share? I'm admittedly surprised I haven't heard of anyone doing this yet.

We could actually do a bottle share in line. Although with the lines there, we would probably get alcohol poisoning.

This. If you're going to wait in line anyway, you might as well drink while doing it. And since Austin is pretty flexible about public drinking laws (you can drink in public almost anywhere) its not an issue. Typically arrive around 8 with chairs and coolers, drink while sitting comfortably for 3 hours, and then down some ****ing kick ass BBQ to finish it off. And then I go home and go to sleep ;) We should plan one soon, before it gets too hot.

As for the pork thing, there are definitely places in Austin that have pork on the menu, and Franklin does a great pork rib and pulled pork. But its just few and far between. Sausage is pretty much all beef - Franklin makes his with beef heart, which is pretty ****ing flavorful, although I think J. Mueller had the best sausage in town (....wait for it.....)

****. Now I want BBQ

Is the Ironworks in Austin considered anything? My Uber guy pointed me to it. I thought is was alright. I think I had pork on my sampler plate though.

Is the Ironworks in Austin considered anything? My Uber guy pointed me to it. I thought is was alright. I think I had pork on my sampler plate though.

Total tourist trap. Sucks in rubes from the convention center, and unknowing tourists. Not terrible, but not even top 10 in town

Well they got me. Ain't mad. Kinda figured nothing good could you know be easy to get to by definition.

Back