The Metro Detroit Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thin. Every flavor is thin, the mouthfeel is thin, I just thought it was one boring beer.

Completely unbalanced: Needed WAY more chocolate malt, still thin for a BA Stout, and any and all possibility of flavor was trumped by the habanero at the end...Obviously this is just my opinion, but I don't see how people like this beer (and don't get me started about the base beer which is even worse).
Fair enough. Different ppl diff taste.

Going to miss the actual Solstice party but will getting into town the next day. Gotta get my Dean Ween fix at Shorts on Saturday.
I'm sure there will be plenty of treats on tap still.
Will be in the metro area until that following Saturday or Sunday if anyone wants to meet up and do some crushin'.

Completely unbalanced: Needed WAY more chocolate malt, still thin for a BA Stout, and any and all possibility of flavor was trumped by the habanero at the end...Obviously this is just my opinion, but I don't see how people like this beer (and don't get me started about the base beer which is even worse).

Spot on assessment

I still liked it

#rarewalezbro in line at Kuhnhenn. I hate beer people
pFKsAP5.png

Kuhnhenn facebook said first people there at 6am.

Glad to hear there is some left. I'm out of town but may stop in tomorrow. Does anyone know if it is on draft?

I rolled by there at 10 thinking there would be a **** show. Saw about 50 in line so I parked and was in and out with what I needed by 11:30. Must have been very deflating to the guys up front that stood in the cold so long.

IDIOTS LOL. I can't even imagine winter solstice. These fux are ruining beer. I saw on Instagram ppl in front of line had propane heaters.

Anyone going by Schramms in the next couple days while they still have that white wax goodness willing to #pickitupformebro?

Oh gosh, now it is here too?! lol. I'll just copy my post from the other thread...
Well, looks like I am late to the party. I happen to be one of the people in question. Let me see if I can clear up confusion...
1.) I am part of a beer group in West Michigan. I am located in Grand Rapids, where a lot of the other members are. I had a friend ask if I was able to go to the release since he was on a vacation to Indiana, and he offered to purchase me a bottle as a "thank you". Grabbing brews for other people has become a common practice in this group, since we all can't be everywhere and like to take advantage of our current locations.
2.) There was a three case limit, so I let people know in the area that I would be going. Other members were going to go, but I said that was foolish to make the 2.5-3 hour drive if I already was and could get the beer for them. One care driving that far instead of 28.
3.) The number of requests quickly grew, some people paid for more bottles without asking, and I was quickly to the 6 case amount. At this point, I could either bring another member with me, or since my girlfriend was already going with me, have her get the other 3 cases. If my girlfriend had not gone, another member of the group was on the other side of the state anyway and could have purchased the 3 cases. My way was easier.
4.) They didn't even come close to running out. If they had, I would have felt inclined to help people out who really wanted a bottle (and lower some people's limits of requests). I certainly would have given up my bottle.
5.) All bottles were PREPAID. I refused to pick up the bottles if they were not. Good thing, because some people backed out. I was not willing to take any risk on such expensive bottles.
6.) They are still available at the brewery today. If I were compelled to do so, I could drive over and get some or have a friend pick them up.
7.) I met up and carpooled with the other guy and his wife in the truck. One guy drove away with 6 cases because he was going to park and enjoy the party some more.
8.) I didn't hire homeless people to get me multiple times the allotment, I am not posting them on craigslist, and I certainly don't own a beer store (nor does the other fellow).

TL;DR - I followed the rules, this wasn't a mad grab for hoarding or trading, and ultimately, this hurt no one. It is surprising to me that a generous act could get people bent out of shape. Though, on the surface I can see where people got the idea from. Cheers!

So I lucked into a VIP preopening invite to Hopcat tomorrow. I'm guessing it will be the same taplist as the grand opening (maybe not?). I've marked a few I need to try but there's quite a few I haven't heard of, what is "can't miss" on the list?

1. Abnormal Genius
2. Agave Peach Wheat
3. Anniversary Ale 05
4. Anniversary Ale 06 Part 1
5. Anniversary Ale 06 Part Deux
6. Anniversary Ale 08
7. Aorta Ale
8. Autumn Ale
9. Beard of Zeus
10. Bellaire Brown
11. Big Style
12. Bim Bam Boom
13. Black Chai
14. Black Cherry Porter
15. Black Diamond
16. Black Licorice Lager
17. Bloody Beer
18. Bludgeon Yer Eye
19. Bonafide Legit
20. Bourbon Aphasia
21. Bourbon Ben’s Asthma
22. Bourbon Carrot Cake
23. Bourbon ControversiALE
24. Bourbon Hammer Jack
25. Bourbon Huma
26. Bourbon Sustenance
27. Brew Ninja
28. Carob Stout
29. Celestial Critter
30. Cerveza de Julie
31. Chocolate Giddyup
32. Chocolate Pretzel Stout
33. ControversiALE
34. Crunchy Grooves
35. Cup a Joe
36. Dark Daze
37. Deacon Blues
38. Declaration Ale
39. Der Norden
40. Devil’s Lettuce
41. Double Barrel Bourbon Wizard
42. Dubbel Down
43. Ectoplasmo
44. Electric Mullet
45. ERMAGERDNESS
46. Evil Urges
47. Freedom of ‘78
48. Giggle Bush
49. Ginger in the Rye
50. Gitchy Gitchy Ooh La La
51. Gone Commando
52. Good Feller
53. Goodnight Bodacious
54. Happy Jack
55. Hellacious Rock
56. Huma Lupa Licious
57. I Got 5 On It
58. Imperial Black Cherry Porter
59. Imperial Soft Parade
60. It’s About Thyme
61. Jitterbug Perfume
62. Key Lime Pie
63. Kind Ale
64. Kolsch 45
65. Lectronic Lager
66. Lil’ Wheezy
67. Local’s
68. London Fog
69. Love Knife
70. Loyalty Ale
71. The Magician
72. Mystery Stout
73. Nectar de la Vida
74. Nicie Spicie
75. Night Wheeler
76. Oblivion
77. Olfactor Spectacular
78. OMGWTFBBQ
79. Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster
80. Pandemonium Pale Ale
81. Papa Burgundy
82. Peaches & Cream
83. PIG PEN
84. Pontius Road Pilsner
85. Pretty Vacant
86. Prolonged Enjoyment
87. Publican Porter
88. Quasar Dank
89. Queen Bee
90. Richard in the Dirt
91. Schnozzleberry Griffin
92. Shadow Assassin
93. Slow Jam Stout
94. Smugglin’ Plums Stout
95. Snow Wheat
96. Soft Parade
97. Space Rock
98. Spruce Pilsner
99. Stachebender
100. Steely Danzig
101. Stellar Ale
102. Stroker Ace
103. Swirl Stout
104. Tapawera
105. The Curl
106. The Empire Hops Back
107. The Gambler
108. Thimbleberry Crush
109. Twist of Cain
110. Van Dammage
111. Village Reserve
112. In the Wheat of Passion
113. Whiskey Sour
114. White Falcon
115. Wit Happens
116. Woodmaster
117. Wowee Zowee
118. Yeager’s Puff
119. Good Humans
120. Noble Chaos

The gist I got was the mug club got their pours an hour early so there wasn't much of the keg left at 6 for the public tapping. Then people who showed up early didn't get pours and people who showed up at 6 got some.

Typical neckbeard crying.

Sounds like they also had a private party downstairs drinking off the keg too. Keg kicked around 6:05 when it was supposed to be tapped at 6:00.

Did you go? Why is everyone saying "**** you Lockhart's" on untappd?

The gist I got was the mug club got their pours an hour early so there wasn't much of the keg left at 6 for the public tapping. Then people who showed up early didn't get pours and people who showed up at 6 got some.

Typical neckbeard crying.

Sounds like they also had a private party downstairs drinking off the keg too. Keg kicked around 6:05 when it was supposed to be tapped at 6:00.

Yes. I went and all of this is true. I got there at 4:30ish and the upstairs bar was full. I volunteered to sit with some random people instead of taking up a table myself. Hostess told me I could go to the basement bar. When I got down there, I was the only one there. A few minutes later a mug club member came in and ordered a CBS. Politely, I asked why he could order a pour and she told me. I said that was cool and would wait until 6 because I was getting dinner.

Around 5:15 the place was getting packed and I had a bad feeling the upstairs bar was full of mug club members drinking their faces off with CBS (they were).

As the place got crowded more and more people tried to order a CBS - not surprising given it was on the menu and they were pouring it (for mug club members). At around 5:55 they began pouring and the bartender gave me one of the first few pours. I would estimate they got out less than 25 eight ounce pours in the basement bar before it kicked. Lots of people that showed up 30 to 45 minutes early got shut out.

EDIT: FEUO didn't I predict this is exactly what would happen.

Last edited:
I knew someone at this party and I would doubt many of them were drinking CBS. It was a vendor party for some lawyers I believe.

Yes. I went and all of this is true. I got there at 4:30ish and the upstairs bar was full. I volunteered to sit with some random people instead of taking up a table myself. Hostess told me I could go to the basement bar. When I got down there, I was the only one there. A few minutes later a mug club member came in and ordered a CBS. Politely, I asked why he could order a pour and she told me. I said that was cool and would wait until 6 because I was getting dinner.

Around 5:15 the place was getting packed and I had a bad feeling the upstairs bar was full of mug club members drinking their faces off with CBS (they were).

As the place got crowded more and more people tried to order a CBS - not surprising given it was on the menu and they were pouring it (for mug club members). At around 5:55 they began pouring and the bartender gave me one of the first few pours. I would estimate they got out less than 25 eight ounce pours in the basement bar before it kicked. Lots of people that showed up 30 to 45 minutes early got shut out.

EDIT: FEUO didn't I predict this is exactly what would happen.
Not surprising. I've never had a good experience at Lockhart's. Average food, service is iffy at best.

I swore off that place a year ago.

I'm going to be in town for Movement festival over memorial day weekend once again! Are there any decent bottleshops downtown these days? I'll be on foot and mostly interested in having some cans around in the hotel room.

I think there's something in Eastern Market. There might be something in Midtown. But there isn't much to speak of near Hart Plaza. Grand Trunk is a couple blocks away, that's your best bet for a beer bar.

Grand Trunk's basically been the default whenever I felt like sitting down somewhere with AC. Hopcat is in Midtown, right? Thinking I should start my weekend by taking an uber to the area, do some shopping, then hang out at Hopcat.

Back when it was Forans in the DEMF days that was our home base. My brother's friends all spun sets there. They would leave the back door open so people could smoke in the alley. They didn't have the craft beer selection they do now though.

Hopcat is midtown. If you're just looking for cans, you'll probably be able to find All Day or Two Hearted fairly easily. Be aware that part of Woodward is all under construction.

Grand Trunk's basically been the default whenever I felt like sitting down somewhere with AC. Hopcat is in Midtown, right? Thinking I should start my weekend by taking an uber to the area, do some shopping, then hang out at Hopcat.

hopcat is the place to go hands down...Also, Jolly Pumpkin will have their place open by the time you come..Its also in Midtown and will be down the street from hopcat...Also, im not 100% sure it will be open by that time, but 8 degrees of plato is opening a store in the cass corridor and will have a really good selection..

hopcat is the place to go hands down...Also, Jolly Pumpkin will have their place open by the time you come..Its also in Midtown and will be down the street from hopcat...Also, im not 100% sure it will be open by that time, but 8 degrees of plato is opening a store in the cass corridor and will have a really good selection..

Awesome thank you. Also saw there's a Whole Foods there now, think that might have me covered since I'm not looking for anything too crazy. Just want some decent session stuff! THA, Oskar Blues cans that sort of thing.

Got to Batch over the weekend. Between three of us, we tried five different beers. All were unremarkable. Also, the setup is weird--the ordering station is in the worst possible spot. I'm in no hurry to go back.

We stopped by Brew Detroit as well and were very surprised with how good the beer was. The Hefe and the stout were both quite good and the Porter, at 4.5%, was absolutely delicious. If you're in Corktown, check this place out.

Back