Scottish Wee Heavy stuck fermentation or high FG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zippy123

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've read a lot of threads on the "stuck fermentation" question but have not come across my scenario. I hope you can help me understand what might be going on with this batch. The data tells me fermentation is complete but the last measured SG is higher than I believe it should be. Here are the details:

- Scottish Wee Heavy from Northern Brewer extract kit
- OG 1.080 11/12/23 pitched two packs of S-04 yeast @ 68-70 deg F
- 11/13/23 fermentation started
- 11/14-18/23 vigorous fermentation
- 11/20/23 fermentation slowed significantly
- SG 1.024 11/21/23 racked to secondary on this date
- SG 1.022 11/25/23 pitched another pack of S-04 yeast, temp consistent @ 68-70 deg F
- No additional fermentation seen between 11/25-11/29
- SG 1.022 11/29/23

My thinking: I believe fermentation is complete but am interested in your thoughts/ideas.

My experiment: Today I used a thief to draw-out two 16-oz bottles from the secondary. I dropped a single priming drop (Coopers) into each bottle, capped and put them in a utility sink (68-70 deg) as an "experimental" conditioning to see if they explode in the next few weeks. (I've never used priming drops but thought this would be a good way to condition just two bottles). If there is any interest in this thread I will post the results here in a few weeks.

Thanks for your thoughts/ideas!

It's right where I like my Wee Heavies to finish. I usually like my SG around 1.085 so it finishes in the 8% ABV range.
And yeah... 3 days without a change in gravity means it's done.

Ok, three agreeing opinions is a trend so I’ll call it finished. This is the first time I’ve brewed this style and the highest OG I’ve brewed so I wanted at least a second opinion. Thanks for your feedback!

Yeah, it's done. The NB instructions call for a two month secondary. But you're supposed to wait until it's done fermenting before you rack it, so that's not really a secondary at all. More like get it off the yeast and bulk age it. Since you went ahead and transferred it, why are you now in a hurry to bottle it?

Yeah, it's done. The NB instructions call for a two month secondary. But you're supposed to wait until it's done fermenting before you rack it, so that's not really a secondary at all. More like get it off the yeast and bulk age it. Since you went ahead and transferred it, why are you now in a hurry to bottle it?
I racked it to the secondary because the fermentation “looked” done, and I pulled the 1.024 sample in the middle of the racking process. I’m not in a hurry to bottle, I’m just trying to figure out if it’s finished fermenting. At this point my instinct is to either rack it again and let it age in the carboy, or package it and let it age a few months (or longer if it makes it!) in bottles. I tasted it at every SG sampling and it is already so delicious it may not survive to age in bottles!

As an aside, I have made maybe a half dozen extract kits from NorthernBrewer and I have been well pleased with every one. I am switching over to BIAB method but if I wanted effortless success with an extract kit, I would not think twice about brewing any of theirs.

Don't rack. Let it sit where it is for a another week or two or six. Package. Let it sit for another month or more.
Yep. I would not have racked to secondary at all. Concerns regarding autolysis are mostly bunk, just leave it in primary. And adding more yeast afterward was a waste of money, it does nothing at that point, there was already plenty of yeast present.

If it’s done, it’s done. And that appears to be the case here.

Usually being less intrusive and not in a rush, and just leaving it to finish on its own, is the best course of action.

I can think of very few instances where racking to a secondary FV is advantageous. Maybe if you plan to bulk-age for more than 6 months or so. Otherwise, it's best to leave it in the primary vessel until you're ready to package. Even dry-hopping, adding fruit, etc., can be done in the primary. And, as others pointed out, autolysis of yeast is not an issue at the homebrew scale. It is an issue for commercial brewers, where greater pressures inside big conical FVs can cause the problem. Every time you rack beer, you expose it to air and possible contaminants.

That old secondaries advice has long been debunked, yet it still persists in some places. Brew stores often recommend racking to secondary, because they want to sell you another vessel.

I guess the “standard” for secondary has changed since I restarted this hobby. I first brewed about 25 years ago. Then my kids were born and I took a 20 year sabbatical on brewing. Now returning to the hobby I find out things have changed! I’ll leave it in the secondary until Holiday break then bottle. I am a bit late to the game on this batch as I had hoped it would be a dead-of-winter brew. It might be better after aging as a Spring Equinox brew!

Regarding “what’s my hurry” I can say this: when everyone else was lined up waiting for their patience gene, I was off chasing squirrels. Nuff said.

I guess the “standard” for secondary has changed since I restarted this hobby.
Yes it has, but I don't think it's quite the unmitigated evil that some people make it out to be. First few beers I brewed I just blindly followed the kit instructions and did two open air transfers (secondary and bottling bucket). Yet somehow ended up with beers that were not horribly oxidized. Nowadays I bulk age most of my bigger beers, often with wood, and do transfer those to a second vessel. But I pay a lot more attention to oxygen, so every transfer is a closed transfer. Any vessel that will seal airtight can be purged with fermentation gas.

FWIW, it won't be harmed by another week or two in the fermenter. It might be improved. But, yes, it's likely safe to bottle.
Normally I would agree but he already introduced oxygen by transferring from primary vessel into a secondary vessel (which is completely useless in this case, I know you know, but he just learned it here) and also by removing two bottles of liquid from the secondary because this volume is now replaced by air. So there's a lot of oxygen in the headspace which will slowly get into your beer and slowly oxidize it. Best way of stopping this is to bottle asap with priming sugar and then leave as little headspace in each bottle as physically safe, which is about 5 mm. A little more won't hurt. Use a proper bottling stick, this will lower the oxygen uptake during transfer from the fermenter into the bottles.

Normally I would agree but he already introduced oxygen by transferring from primary vessel into a secondary vessel (which is completely useless in this case, I know you know, but he just learned it here) and also by removing two bottles of liquid from the secondary because this volume is now replaced by air. So there's a lot of oxygen in the headspace which will slowly get into your beer and slowly oxidize it. Best way of stopping this is to bottle asap with priming sugar and then leave as little headspace in each bottle as physically safe, which is about 5 mm. A little more won't hurt. Use a proper bottling stick, this will lower the oxygen uptake during transfer from the fermenter into the bottles.
I agree. Bottle or keg it now and let it age in the package. Open a bottle a week until it's where you like it... then glurk!

I agree with the common opinion here about fermentation being done.

And as I read through your posts @Zippy123 this is what I gather:

1. You think it tastes delicious now.
2. You're not the patient type.

So, bottle it now and enjoy it. Imagine how sad you'll be if you muster up all your waiting skills and then it tastes like crap to you in 2 months? Probably worth hiding some bottles from yourself and seeing if you do like it better in 2 months. But usually we brew for ourselves, so if you like it now, drink up!

I agree with the common opinion here about fermentation being done.

And as I read through your posts @Zippy123 this is what I gather:

1. You think it tastes delicious now.
2. You're not the patient type.

So, bottle it now and enjoy it. Imagine how sad you'll be if you muster up all your waiting skills and then it tastes like crap to you in 2 months? Probably worth hiding some bottles from yourself and seeing if you do like it better in 2 months. But usually we brew for ourselves, so if you like it now, drink up!

I completely agree with your analysis @micraftbeer; you nailed it on all accounts. I'll bottle today or tomorrow and whatever happens, happens.

Latest posts

Back