The All In One Brewing Control Panel (HERMS,RIMS,BIAB,...)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeSkril

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm happy to share my latest project with you.

This control panel is a multipurpose brewing controller. It’s powered by 240V / 30 AMP and can run 2 pumps and a 5500-watt heating element. It has a mash/boil controller with integrated timer and buzzer.

The AiONE controller does it all. BIAB, RIMS, or even a full-scale HERMS, this controller will handle it.
  • 240V / 30 Amp, enough power for brewing batches up to 20 gallons
  • Very affordable
  • Controls 1 heating element and up to 2 pumps
  • Mash and Boil mode
  • Integrated timer and buzzer
  • Can be used with, or without a temperature sensor
  • Built with safety in mind
  • Easy to build
Check it out on my blog:
https://skrilnetz.net/the-all-in-one-brewing-control-panel/

AD1finalsmall_web_border.jpg

Hi,

This control panel is a multipurpose brewing controller. It’s powered by 240V / 30 AMP and can run 2 pumps and a 5500-watt heating element. It has a mash/boil controller with integrated timer and buzzer.

The AiONE controller does it all. BIAB, RIMS, or even a full-scale HERMS, this controller will handle it.
  • Very affordable
  • Mash and Boil mode
  • Easy to build
Check it out on my blog:

I see you are using the EZBoil. A great piece of equipment. I built a control panel using two EZBoil 310C. I used 240 V, 60 amps, it controls 4 5500 W elements and 2 pumps. However, only two elements can be powered at a time. See photo attached.

Attachments

• IMG_20171125_130127833.jpg
    IMG_20171125_130127833.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 238
I see you are using the EZBoil. A great piece of equipment. I built a control panel using two EZBoil 310C. I used 240 V, 60 amps, it controls 4 5500 W elements and 2 pumps. However, only two elements can be powered at a time. See photo attached.

Yeah, the EZBoil controllers are great!

You built a very nice panel! How many gallons are you brewing?

Thumbed through the blog post. Nice looking panel. I also had a couple of comments.

My understanding is that the EZBoil is not based on PID, but instead uses a different logic developed by Auber. You might consider updating the documentation to reflect this.

Also, I'd recommend revisiting this statement.

"The DSPR120 will normally not work without a temperature sensor connected. This can be annoying if you are in boil mode, not using a sensor in the boil kettle."

If people follow this recommendation (not using a sensor in the BK) they're circumventing one of the great advantages of the EZBoil, which is the ability to dial back on element output at a specific measured temperature to prevent boil overs. A second sensor can be easily added by wiring it to the toggle switch you recommend for bypassing.

Just my two cents. And thanks for sharing your work.

Also, I'd recommend revisiting this statement.

"The DSPR120 will normally not work without a temperature sensor connected. This can be annoying if you are in boil mode, not using a sensor in the boil kettle."

If people follow this recommendation (not using a sensor in the BK) they're circumventing one of the great advantages of the EZBoil, which is the ability to dial back on element output at a specific measured temperature to prevent boil overs. A second sensor can be easily added by wiring it to the toggle switch you recommend for bypassing.

Just my two cents. And thanks for sharing your work.

I get you but... I brewed many batched on a HERMS and I do not need nor want a sensor in the boil kettle. It's just a thing of personal preference.

I wanted to show that you can easily use the EZboil without a sensor if you just want to control your boil element. You can also use the same switch to toggle between 2 sensors, using just one EZBoil.

Last edited:
My understanding is that the EZBoil is not based on PID, but instead uses a different logic developed by Auber. You might consider updating the documentation to reflect this.

Good point. I'm so used to call these things PID, that I did it automatically. I should call it 'power regulator'.

Awesome build and write-up

Wish this was around when I did my electric brewery build.

TMX

Thank you!

I realized that this controller works just as great with my HERMS as my bigger panel. And it's more than half the price.

Can't even begin to express how excited I am to begin building this one!

Thank you so much for posting clear, concise directions on your site. Awesome contribution.

I'm relieved to hear that this simplified panel works just as well for HERMS as your larger panel. Have you ever found it horribly inconvenient to swap out your heat plugs (to switch from HLT to BK element)? To not have a PID/temp sensor hooked up to your MLT? Any other major drawbacks of this (cheaper, easier to build) panel that would convince a 5-10g brewer to go for the bigger panel?

I know I could whip this one out in a week or two and want the least amount of brewing downtime, but I'm a big proponent of build it nice or build it twice. Thoughts?

Hi,

• Very affordable
  • Mash and Boil mode
  • Easy to build
Check it out on my blog:

Hi,

• Very affordable
  • Mash and Boil mode
  • Easy to build
Check it out on my blog:

Hi Mike,
I am in the process of building this. I am at the wiring stage for the control panel and your site has gone down. Could you provide the wiring diagrams for the all in one?
Thanks,
Jason

Hi Mike,
I am in the process of building this. I am at the wiring stage for the control panel and your site has gone down. Could you provide the wiring diagrams for the all in one?
Thanks,
Jason
@MikeSkril hasn't been seen in these parts for a while.

Have you purchased all of the components yet? If not, I have a roughly equivalent design that I can provide to you (that uses some different components.)

If you have the components in hand already, and provide a complete list here, I can probably figure out how they should be wired together, and create a schematic.

Brew on :mug:

@MikeSkril hasn't been seen in these parts for a while.

Have you purchased all of the components yet? If not, I have a roughly equivalent design that I can provide to you (that uses some different components.)

If you have the components in hand already, and provide a complete list here, I can probably figure out how they should be wired together, and create a schematic.

I am continually amazed at your generosity here. I wonder how many people have working panels that are safe and reliable thanks to your support....

I am continually amazed at your generosity here. I wonder how many people have working panels that are safe and reliable thanks to your support....

I'm going to raise my hand and say that I'm one of those people. I used Doug's diagrams to build my panel. Works like a charm and (knock on wood) have had zero problems with it. I'm not an electrical idiot, but not an electrical engineer either. I would have struggled to do what I did without the his assistance. Thanks @doug293cz !

Checked again today, and @MikeSkril 's page is back on-line. I'd suggest doing image captures on all of the wiring diagrams and any other information you need, in case the page disappears again.

Back